Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OMFG!!! I am so humbled! That was the fix!!! I don't know what I would do without you guidance MPGrimm2.

I owe you a beers. lots of them!

Stuck the pins in, plugged it all back together, reconnected the battery and Bada Boom Bada Bing away it went. Everything works, radio, A/C friggin everything!!!!

I bow to you sir! You are a genius!

I can not wipe the grin off my face right now.

Thank You Thank You Thank You
Peter
Whoo hoo!
c7919eb5ce5a8d40313e702fd79bc251.jpg

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright folks, we've got @Mac1 (Dave) with a backup camera issue that could use some forum assistance.

------- Background -----

2013 Ram 1500 Express
Factory Ra1 w/Bu cam in the mirror
(XAC sales code should already be loaded)

- He had a dealer install/wire in a mopar BT kit with microphone as an add-on to the Ra1 at one point (I'm not familiar with the install).

- Later Added a 2014 Ra2 (I verified PN), steering wheel phone/VR button, & AutoDim rear view mirror w/mics & mirror header harness.

- Radio, phone, VR, mics all work correctly.

- circled the uConnect site using the Vin of the ordinary RA2 truck and the radio is supposedly up to date.

------- Issue --------

- Added the Infotainment backup camera Reroute harness kit but has no video or blue screen at radio.

Kit is basically just a T harness at mirror header behind the pass. Air Vent with an RCA pigtail to the radio and seperate T harness at the radio with matching RCA pigtail for input into the radio.

- Dealer says need to add RA2 code to the truck to wake up the radio, but can't since it's not listed under his 2013's trim level. Supposedly verified XAC bu cam code is still loaded for mirror (same code for regular bu cam)

- reconnecting original mirror/harness still displays bu camera correctly.

----- Options -------

* He needs to be able to get the blue screen on the radio when the truck is in reverse, but can't. This is usually not an issue for folks that upgrade to Ra2, blue screen usually comes up automatically if they already had the mirror camera.

This appears to be either a radio issue (SW level or defective) or a vehicle configuration issue in the BCM.

++ Anyone near New London, CT area with an Ra2 with Bu Cam willing to test his radio in your truck to see if it displays the bu camera?

++ Anyone with a spare 2013-2017 Ra2 radio willing to loan it to him to see if it fixes his issue? (Preferably from a truck with Bu cam)

(Anyone have the latest 2014 Ra2 radio update you can share)

After that it would be worth someone with the AlfaOBD Software checking his BCM config. He's not terribly comfortable with poking around the BCM himself.

- Mentions -
@mjf6175
@R.L.K.

M² Mods.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here’s a picture of the RA2. Out of donor 2014 ram 1500 truck Ram VIN 1C6RR7KTXES343642.

A9EB742B-3F47-4A9F-B348-11B961653D14.jpeg

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
C2859550-2F1B-4BE3-A95A-61F252B06EE5.jpeg The truck that I installed the RA2 radio is a 2013 1500 ram express 4 door.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tech guy from infotainment just called back. Said the dealer input several codes through dealer connect. One of them was to turn on back up camera. So the guy wants me to disconnect the red and black wires from battery and touch them together for a min. Reconnect them, and wait 5 min to start trick and put in reverse. Says it's a CAM reset. Clear the radio cache and push the new codes foward. Anyone heard of this ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tech guy from infotainment just called back. Said the dealer input several codes through dealer connect. One of them was to turn on back up camera. So the guy wants me to disconnect the red and black wires from battery and touch them together for a min. Reconnect them, and wait 5 min to start trick and put in reverse. Says it's a CAM reset. Clear the radio cache and push the new codes foward. Anyone heard of this ?
Doing the battery terminal thing does reset many modules ..worth a try I guess .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Mac1 , have you tried to install the M2MODS camera reroute harness instead of the infotainment one ?
Even though the infotainment one is a simple install are you sure there's nothing wrong with it ?

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guy at infotainment swears it’s not the harness as it is just a pass through harness with rca cables scabbed in. All other functions work on the radio, hands free, Bluetooth, etc. The dealer is going to try Monday to use RA4 codes to get the camera to kick on. Nobody is sure of the correct fix. Mpgrimm2 is helping me narrow this down. I don’t know about OBD genie but I am getting suggestions to try it. I also saw video interface modules that are external to the radio that may or may not work. I am hunting for someone with same issue where they tried to upgrade to ra2 in 2013 express.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will try the CAM reset this weekend. The Ra2 soft reset mpgrimm2 posted did not work. I know this unit has video function that’s why I got it off eBay. Displays artwork for music no problem, and many said it is possible to do this conversion I just have to find the correct codes to tell the radio there is video coming in. It’s like the feature is locked and won’t unlock. If the dealer can’t get it to work on this second attempt this coming Monday. I don’t know what I am going to do.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: so I went and bought another ra2 off eBay, this time it’s a 2015. I will switch out head units once it arrives and find out for sure if it’s the radio or the wiring. Should be fun. Mpgrimm2 has been so helpful through this entire process. Can’t thank him enough.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do I have to re flash and redo updates the dealer did to the current RA2 I have installed, with the newer year RA2 I am receiving from ebay ?

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, the mirror swap was simple, the installation of reroute harness was simple, the steering wheel button was simple, but this radio back up cam problem kinda ruined the whole experience for me. It will be some time before I mess with the radio again once I get it running the way I want. I am the 1% who got a bad radio off ebay. It was like 85$ through a salvage yard, thought I got sweet deal, and everything works other than the back up cam video, just my luck. No wonder it was so cheap (not that the guy knew there was a problem with it). I mean the donor truck may have never used the video on the radio and may not have known it was locked out/or defective. I am relieved others have had this problem (so I am not the only one) and I hope switching the radio out fixes the problem. Just glad to know I have support from you nice folks incase I run into trouble. I love my truck.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do I have to re flash and redo updates the dealer did to the current RA2 I have installed, with the newer year RA2 I am receiving from ebay ?
To my knowledge the short answer is No . The previous flashes should be good to go [emoji1303]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the reply. I also just posted a thread about how to change the color theme on the radio itself, or at least a question on how to do it. Mpgrimm2 got me to the engineering menu on the radio last night. He is incredible helping me. Once I get this radio working (hopefully new one will be okay with showing back up cam), I am not touching it again. Entire mod went smoothly until the radio software issue where it doesn't recognize the video input. I am having a huge sale on ebay once this is done. Going to sell extra RA2, video mirror with bezel and harness, try to recoup some of the extra money the RA2 video issue cost me.

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0

Backup camera is programmed in the BCM, not the radio. So you should have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty disappointed. New ra2 arrived in the mail today and immediately installed it. Still no back up cam. I ran continuity checks and all wires from infotainment harness are good. It has to be a software issue or something. I know for a fact the 2013 express can take an RA2 radio. Anyone?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty disappointed. New ra2 arrived in the mail today and immediately installed it. Still no back up cam. I ran continuity checks and all wires from infotainment harness are good. It has to be a software issue or something. I know for a fact the 2013 express can take an RA2 radio. Anyone?
With the video mirror installed you have backup cam video , without the mirror and the infotainment reroute harness and two diff RA2s you don't get the blue screen or the back up cam video ?

What else has been installed or flashed in concerning the radio ? Must be something blocking video input to the radio itself .

What wires are in your radio C1 connector at sockets. 31 , 32 & 33 ?

Please take a picture please

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should look like mine , like this ... Unless the factory installed wires are different .

Your truck cam from the factory with the backup cam in the mirror with the RA1 right ?

7dc8ddf25bc659ef2b31fa19dc9fb62f.jpg
ef9319bcdac43bddaa6ae94ce9ced8c4.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, he's still not getting the blue screen on the radio in reverse. Seems like a BCM config/sales code issue.

Options:
- dealer XAC reflash/BCM reload
- OBDgenie bu cam load
- AlfaOBD Software to check/set BCM config

M² Mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca