Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They will put extra codes in. Told me to make a list of what I want. I have no clue what to ask for R.L.K. They said infotainment harness is crap and they are not sure it was meant for RA2. They did call infotainment and they did not offer a lot of information. So we are waiting on new bcm to get shipped and they gave me a loaner ram.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They will put extra codes in. Told me to make a list of what I want. I have no clue what to ask for R.L.K. They said infotainment harness is crap and they are not sure it was meant for RA2. They did call infotainment and they did not offer a lot of information. So we are waiting on new bcm to get shipped and they gave me a loaner ram.
Wow !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as other codes ....what would you like in the future for a mod ????

Powered mirrors.?.
Folding mirrors.?
Cargo cam ?
Compass ?.

The list goes on and on and on and on and well you get the point [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, after this fiasco, not sure I want to touch anything again. But I get the point.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm planning on replacing my tailgate harness and the jumper harness since I'm plagued with the scrambled camera pretty frequently. To the point where multiple times a week I have to access the jumper harness and unplug and replug and if that doesn't work get in the tailgate access plate. Ive done it so many times i actuallt wore out the plastic cover and when i open the tailgate the thing pops out because it won't lock in anymore. I'm out of bumper bumper warranty so I may just replace the camera too since they aren't that expensive anymore . One thing I haven't d/c'd and out dielectric grease on yet (which also maybe the root of my problem) is the white circular connector at the camera itself. I've pulled and twisted but it won't come off and I don't want to force it . How exactly does that little bugger engage and disengage to the camera?

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the update; So my truck is fixed. They changed the BCM and that was not the problem. They found the problem in the wiring at one of the pin blocks behind the radio where the pins were not seated correctly. I am now trying to find out if the initial splice (scab in) of the original RA1 Bluetooth the dealer put in was the cause. I am not sure if I have any recourse there, but I am going to be paying 300-400 out of pocket for labor. The BCM was warranty item and the warranty will cover 3 hours of labor plus part, which still leaves me paying 300 plus out of pocket. If I can nail it down to the initial splice in, I may have a shot at getting the first dealer to pay some of it. May be a pipe dream too. But I am going to try.

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Here is the update; So my truck is fixed. They changed the BCM and that was not the problem. They found the problem in the wiring at one of the pin blocks behind the radio where the pins were not seated correctly. I am now trying to find out if the initial splice (scab in) of the original RA1 Bluetooth the dealer put in was the cause. I am not sure if I have any recourse there, but I am going to be paying 300-400 out of pocket for labor. The BCM was warranty item and the warranty will cover 3 hours of labor plus part, which still leaves me paying 300 plus out of pocket. If I can nail it down to the initial splice in, I may have a shot at getting the first dealer to pay some of it. May be a pipe dream too. But I am going to try.

Good Luck!!!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad your all set Sir !
I was betting on it being a Bluetooth install issue from the other dealer .
Typically if your troubleshooting a strange issue 1rst look where the mechanic has been ...hate to say that , but it is what it is [emoji16]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just easier to place work order on here in order to explain what the problem was. Hopefully this will make sense to MPGrimm2 and R.L.K. I am still not understanding myself, just whining to the place I bought the truck from for some sort of compensation.

Attachments

• RA2 bill valen.pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 8

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just easier to place work order on here in order to explain what the problem was. Hopefully this will make sense to MPGrimm2 and R.L.K. I am still not understanding myself, just whining to the place I bought the truck from for some sort of compensation.
This makes it sound like an issue with the Infotainment harness somehow where it plugged into the mirror connector behind the pass. air vent (not the original BT handsfree kit the other dealer installed).

There's only one wire in that pass through harness that could do this (LiN Bus CBC 2) and I find it hard to believe, especially if the video was still being switched on to the original mirror in reverse & the Infotainment Reroute harness was still hooked up.

It's possible it was something else, and this is just what they wrote down to avoid throwing another dealer under the bus.

* Did they remove the Mopar BT/handsfree kit or leave it in there?

8f83862e5905052acdc968c0bf9c743b.jpg

M² Mods.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, there are 3 different versions of what went wrong. (1) The infotainment harness had swapped pins and not seated correctly, (2) Bent pin at the t-harness connector from new mirror harness, and (3) the original story of the BT splice being bad and not sitting in the multipin connector correctly behind radio. So pick a story. Because the dealership who fixed it, is telling me one thing, telling the dealer where I bought truck another story, and then wrote something totally different on invoice. I was only supposed to have a 100$ deductible under my care guard warranty. So, I think I am getting milked somewhere.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look, I have nothing against infotainment. But they only offered me 50$ towards this fix, not a full refund. And if I went with the Mpgrimm2 direct harness, I could have avoided all this and spent 40$ instead of 400$ and Would have eliminated certain portions of the wire chasing and reduced labor charges.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree going with the Mpgrimm2/M2MODS video reroute harness would have saved lots of money , time and it likely would have worked as advertised .

With that said , I agree with Mike above on what it sounds like on the repair dealers invoice explanation....this is a tough spot for you to be in Sir and I truely hate it for you .
Maybe try talking to the Service Manager NOT THE SERVICE WRITER as most service writers are idiots .
Tell the svc mgr the whole story to where he understands the situation at hand ....you may have to dumb it down a bit for him , if you recognize he's lost or starts to slobber uncontrollably and starts picking his nose , then request you explain your situation with the BT installing tech or a tech present that does that type of work .

Hope this helps and good luck [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R.L.K - I am negotiating with the dealer I bought the truck from now (as of yesterday) sent them the same invoice I showed Mike. Asking for compensation, not entire refund, but FAIR compensation. I really don't know if they are considering it as I have not heard back from them. And I hate to be a pain writing them every day to get updates. But seriously, I recommend talking anyone out of buying that plug and play infotainment harness. It is just too hard to trace and they (the company) not fair on refunds. Mikes harness would have made everything so much easier, and I am kicking myself for not going with it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R.L.K - I am negotiating with the dealer I bought the truck from now (as of yesterday) sent them the same invoice I showed Mike. Asking for compensation, not entire refund, but FAIR compensation. I really don't know if they are considering it as I have not heard back from them. And I hate to be a pain writing them every day to get updates. But seriously, I recommend talking anyone out of buying that plug and play infotainment harness. It is just too hard to trace and they (the company) not fair on refunds. Mikes harness would have made everything so much easier, and I am kicking myself for not going with it.
Good luck with your dealer , I hope they do you right [emoji106]
Did infotainment give you the $50 for repair cost ?

Fubuu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
newbie here. and at a bad start.

other than figuring out the blue screen, is there a way to depopulate the pin 45 from C5 connector. I got to the part of removing the 2 houses from terminal and i can't seem figure it to depopulate pin. really don't wanna cut it since i accidentally cut the pin 13 from PDC as a result of failed wirestripping and i have spent considerable time resoldering that one together.

thanks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
newbie here. and at a bad start.

other than figuring out the blue screen, is there a way to depopulate the pin 45 from C5 connector. I got to the part of removing the 2 houses from terminal and i can't seem figure it to depopulate pin. really don't wanna cut it since i accidentally cut the pin 13 from PDC as a result of failed wirestripping and i have spent considerable time resoldering that one together.

thanks
Yes , by using a tiny screwdriver flat tip from the wire side enter from the ( top or bottom ) can't remember , but tenderly stick the tiny flat tip in while pushing the wire ... once the tiny flat tip slides forward just a bit gently pull the wire and screwdriver out .

Maybe Mpgrimm2 will respond with a better removal process [emoji106]

Good luck

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have never removed the pin from a BCM connector, but @DeereGuy had a picture or 2 of it when he sent a pigtail from a salvaged harness to someone else...
7fa61706fae65467c29300e9e95c9c84.jpg
0429d84477ef5a600e324a0f9a4b7645.jpg
2a34504f599e4bdde8a7f3c08060622b.jpg

M² Mods.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive done it 3ea times with a tiny flat tip screwdriver ..2 yrs ago ....I just can't remember if it was too or bottom ?
I think it was the bottom .

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So I tried to install the OEM backup camera today. After I finished everything, I hooked up the battery and walked to the driver seat. The dash lights were flickering. I had not yet put the key in the ignition. After putting the key in and trying to start it, all the lights continued to flash and every warning light came on. I would start and run for about 10 seconds and shut off. I went back and double checked all the harnesses and seemed too have out the two tailgate wires in the wrong spots. I fixed them but it is still acting up. I did find that it is only when the radio is hooked up. When I disconnect the radio there is no issues.