Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Go back to post 10 and look at the links related to the connectors. Chances are you got the pins mixed up at the back of the radio with pins 1,2,3 vs 31,32,33

Or at one of the other connectors you worked on. (Did you reseat the BCM C5/E fully? Or the one at the PDC?)

M² Mods.

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have double checked them several times. Here are the pictures of the tailgate harness and the one behind the radio. As far as I can see they are right.

IMG_2401_zpsnsmz7wnm.jpg
IMG_2400_zpsvnsgq8x9.jpg IMG_2399_zpsvvrc8gbd.jpg

btn_viewall.gif" style="border:none;" alt="lukeheyman&

iframe>

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have double checked them several times. Here are the pictures of the tailgate harness and the one behind the radio. As far as I can see they are right.

IMG_2401_zpsnsmz7wnm.jpg
IMG_2400_zpsvnsgq8x9.jpg IMG_2399_zpsvvrc8gbd.jpg

btn_viewall.gif" style="border:none;" alt="lukeheyman&

iframe>
For confirming if your radio connector is pinned correctly look at the back of the radio itself , as pin # 31 is clearly marked , then compare where your wires are in relation to that [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are correct there , then move on to the connector you populated under the dash make sure your wires are in the correct position and make sure the wires that were preinstalled going to the radio were correct . Having wires wrong here is the same as having wires incorrectly installed at the C-1 radio connector [emoji1303]

Hope this helps !

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
For confirming if your radio connector is pinned correctly look at the back of the radio itself , as pin # 31 is clearly marked , then compare where your wires are in relation to that [emoji1303]

All is good here, double checked the numbers on the inside of the radio connector. On to the one under the dash.

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If they are correct there , then move on to the connector you populated under the dash make sure your wires are in the correct position and make sure the wires that were preinstalled going to the radio were correct . Having wires wrong here is the same as having wires incorrectly installed at the C-1 radio connector [emoji1303]

Hope this helps !

All is good here too. I can't help but wonder if I fried something in the radio earlier in the install before I caught the tailgate wires being wrong.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All is good here too. I can't help but wonder if I fried something in the radio earlier in the install before I caught the tailgate wires being wrong.
Imo the tailgate wires being backwards would just cause the gate not to lock , as we've had this before .

Now if your Not talking about having pins 7 & 8 swapped and having pin 7 or 8 in sockets # 1 through # 6 I'm not sure what would happen without looking at the wire diagram .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Recheck the BCM and PDC connectors to make sure they are fully seated (disconnect battery first, then reconnect once done).

What exactly did you do with the 2 pins at the tailgate ... What got installed in which pins?

M² Mods.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The connection at the BCM is critical , I've had this give me fits in the past , but not the lightshow you got Sir .

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Recheck the BCM and PDC connectors to make sure they are fully seated (disconnect battery first, then reconnect once done).

What exactly did you do with the 2 pins at the tailgate ... What got installed in which pins?

M² Mods.
I put them in the wrong slots. I looked at the diagram wrong and had them over two farther to the right.

Also, could the crimp splice I am using be an issue? Might not be letting enough power through to the purple wire? Does anyone know where to test the voltage of the purple wire and what it should be?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Purple wire is only for active gridlines, you can disconnect it and camera should still work. Worth doing to eliminate it in case you are on the wrong orange/dark blue wire at the BCM. There's more than one I believe.

A bad/loose connection at the PDC splice would just prevent the camera from turning on.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Purple wire is only for active gridlines, you can disconnect it and camera should still work. Worth doing to eliminate it in case you are on the wrong orange/dark blue wire at the BCM. There's more than one I believe

M² Mods.
[emoji817]% correct the purple wire is just for the active gridlines and the camera does infact work just fine with this line disconnected as I had mine disconnected a few times .

And yes there is more than one orange and purple wire ...I've seen 3ea this color on one of the higher trim levels I installed the backup cam on , my truck ( an Express ) had two and some trucks do not have a wire installed in the correct spot at all @ the BCM connector [emoji1303] on these trucks you simply populate the correct spot with the purple wire from the kit .

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I think I may have messed up the connector to the radio. I tried to release a pin before I realized it was the wrong one. It might have messed up the housing and be shorting out on the pin beside it. Where could I find a schematic for that radio connector? I believe the 1 and 2 pins might be shorting out on each other.

lbheyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well, I was able to get everything working again. I just didn't put the red cover back on the radio harness and everything worked fine. When I put it on it would go nuts. I ordered a new connector and I will try to place it to be safe. Thanks for all the help. Now to get the computer flashed this week to start using the camera that beat me down all weekend!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn that's crazy !
Glad you figured it out ! Good luck and keep us posted once you get the XAC flashed in !

If your dealer gives you any static about flashing in the sales code , consider getting the alphaOBD . I don't know much about it but I believe it's only like $50 bucks ?? And capable of resetting the BCM for much more than just the backup cam [emoji16]

zatiny8sv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I'm having trouble maneuvering the PDC. I release all 4 of the clips, but the sires underneath seem to be really tight -- absolutely no room to rotate it go splice in the red wire.

I'm not sure if it's just me being really cautions and scared of breaking something, but how "hard" should it be to rotate the PDC?

Is there anything else that I need to release or "untangle" or anything like that to be able to rotate the PDC?

Fubuu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update from post #1596

Got the backup camera to work but no active grid lines. I spliced the purple wire to pin 45 that i managed to depopulate. My RA radios do not have "Parkview Gridlines" under safety and driving assistance. I only have hill assist. My RA4 is version 17.0.0.# and RA2 is version 11.0.0.#. Is there a way to enable the parkview option?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update from post #1596

Got the backup camera to work but no active grid lines. I spliced the purple wire to pin 45 that i managed to depopulate. My RA radios do not have "Parkview Gridlines" under safety and driving assistance. I only have hill assist. My RA4 is version 17.0.0.# and RA2 is version 11.0.0.#. Is there a way to enable the parkview option?
On the RA2 it needs a higher SW update , I had the same issues with mine .
Not sure on the RA4 .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having trouble maneuvering the PDC. I release all 4 of the clips, but the sires underneath seem to be really tight -- absolutely no room to rotate it go splice in the red wire.

I'm not sure if it's just me being really cautions and scared of breaking something, but how "hard" should it be to rotate the PDC?

Is there anything else that I need to release or "untangle" or anything like that to be able to rotate the PDC?
It is tight , here's a picture of mine .

Hope this helps !
63b903e34b3bd2f5fd7e75c0547e5b93.jpg
7e32df6be2aaa403b093ea5ea2327d6c.jpg