Interesting build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice, I actually watched an older Engine Masters episode on the Gen 3 hemi (2017 stock truck motor). The hemi sure does love a bigger cam, except for the loss of bottom end torque.

They showed how the truck intake affects power as well as the VVT operation.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look how fat those lobes are! That's alot of open valve time with short duration.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nice, I actually watched an older Engine Masters episode on the Gen 3 hemi (2017 stock truck motor). The hemi sure does love a bigger cam, except for the loss of bottom end torque.

They showed how the truck intake affects power as well as the VVT operation.

I watched that too. First Hemi they tested, and they still bashed it at the end, saying a small block Chevy does the same for less money. Huh? Then why did Richard Petty win all those races, and competitors accused the Hemi of cheating? Talk about bias!

I bought it for as much low end torque as I can get from a gas motor, for truck application. Because diesels have become too expensive and complex with HPCR, EGR, VVT (variable vane turbo), piezo injectors, and a chemical factory for an exhaust system. Of course the Hemi architecture is most beneficial at higher rpms, since the whole design is for crosshead low flow breathing. There is still some benefit at low rpm, however, and a flatter torque curve than Chevy and Ford showed it.

They also showed exhaust restriction reduction makes no difference in power output. I suppose because the % change is less due to the high pressure compared to the induction air intake? They did show long tube headers boost torque ~ 10%, but this isn't due to restriction reduction - it is due to reduction of cylinder pumping losses.....scavenging exhaust gases and pulling air into the cylinder via exhaust pulses.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think they left some on the table with a 13.3 A/Fr and 28 degrees of timing.That's a touch lean with that amount of timing.These guys leave a bit to be desired when it comes to Chryco products,as they'd of spent alot more time tweaking a LS,then they did tweaking this 6.4.But overall it's not a bad build.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
And in walks the devil....

Are you guys thinking that even a small hemi chamber with quench pads is as efficient as a tight, heart shaped wedge running a flat top piston? Runners are runners, make em big and straight enough while not putting pushrods in the way and they'll flow just the same.

Displacement potential, minimal external size, and available heads are the biggest determiner of engine greatness. REALLY hard to beat a Mark IV or its smaller cousin LS3.