Interior light LED swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 15 1500 Express that I swapped the map lights and dome light to LED. The issue I have now is when I unlock my doors sometimes the lights come on other times they do not come on until I start the truck. Anyone else have this issue? I have taken the LEDs out and flipped them around and still have not fixed the issue.

brad325is

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did they work fine before you replaced the bulbs with leds?

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. They had the standard bulbs in there and everything started when I put the LEDs in. Sometimes they work correctly sometimes they dont. Most of the time when they work it is when I am getting out of the truck they will come on when I open the door but when I hit the unlock button and open the door getting into the truck they do not work till I put the keys in and start the truck.

brad325is

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you just plug t10 bulbs in their place? Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Either in the leds not being seated properly or it could be the the wire issue in the drivers door behind the boot that others have had...they sometimes get pinched, broken, loose etc. if you just put t10 leds in their place, there shouldn't have been a problem.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced with the LED didnt change anything else. I think later today I am going to pop them out and put the old bulbs in to see if I have the same issue.

brad325is

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this to a friends truck and used 194/T10 bulbs for overhead and footwells and one 4410 festoon bulb for dome with no issues.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got them from Autozone. I wouldnt think that would be the problem but I guess I will know more when I go back to original

Fjgun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you figured this out. Having the same issues w my 18 express

atc250r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 15 Express was intermittently not turning the interior lights on after swapping to LED. I ended up turning the instrument cluster dimmer all the way to the left for a couple of days so the lights couldn't even try to come on and then I turned it back to its normal position and they've worked fine ever since. Not sure why that worked but it's been good for 4 weeks now. Maybe doing that reset something with the canbus system? I dunno but it worked

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The (AutoZone) led map lights on my 14 will faintly come on when the truck is turned off and doors closed . So faint they are worthless. When I hit the fob to unlock it or open the doors after turning off the truck or turn them on while the truck is running they work fine. Just seem to only have an issue while truck is off and doors are closed. Never understood it!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The (AutoZone) led map lights on my 14 will faintly come on when the truck is turned off and doors closed . So faint they are worthless. When I hit the fob to unlock it or open the doors after turning off the truck or turn them on while the truck is running they work fine. Just seem to only have an issue while truck is off and doors are closed. Never understood it!

Could it be the "theater" lighting effect?

Where they slowly light when entering and slowly dim when leaving the truck? Maybe cheaper LEDs cant cope with that type of "dimming".

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it be the "theater" lighting effect?

Where they slowly light when entering and slowly dim when leaving the truck? Maybe cheaper LEDs cant cope with that type of "dimming".

No, if I have doors closed and engine off they don't work. They work fine with every other option, including when I unlock the truck with the fob, which is also when the doors are closed and truck isn't running. I don't know.

Had some cheap eBay's that I don't recall having that issue with, but they started crapping out after a couple weeks.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 R/T and changed out the map lights which was a pain since you have to cut the plastic weld type things off of those flat factory lights. I got those and I am going to order a dome light(thought I dd but can't find it) but I am curious about the footwell lights. It is a regular cab if that matters. They have some strange shaped lights. Can anybody tell me what number light I should order?

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 15 Express was intermittently not turning the interior lights on after swapping to LED. I ended up turning the instrument cluster dimmer all the way to the left for a couple of days so the lights couldn't even try to come on and then I turned it back to its normal position and they've worked fine ever since. Not sure why that worked but it's been good for 4 weeks now. Maybe doing that reset something with the canbus system? I dunno but it worked

THANK YOU for posting this. Tried your suggestion & it fixed the sole issue I had w/ my truck.

bradw177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
brad325is, which t10 bulbs did you use? I’d like to swap all of mine over and I see that there are different options. Thanks

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I will have to try this. I still haven't had any luck with mine working correctly. I also read on another thread that it could be due to the bypass for aftermarket remote start