Interior Light upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nygiantsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone upgrade the interior lights to LEDs...looking for the model LEDs ill need for the map lights and dome lights

OP
OP
N

nygiantsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah looking to get a bright white look

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what size they are maybe someone else will chime in with that info...I do know that the glovebox light is incandescent.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. Just upgraded my interior lights. I have the Bighorn Crew so interior lights are incandescent. The overhead map lights were no fun, and the rear light was cake. The front lights are normal 194 bulbs. The rear bulb is festoon 42mm. I am putting a link to the exact one I bought for the rear. Had to bend the 2 tabs in a little bit so it was secure, but it is definitely WAY brighter back there. Also the front floor lights are 194 bulbs as well.
Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-6W-H...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paulie: How did U replace the front maplights? Did U pry out the plastic lens covers and partially drop the overhead console? I looked at it, what a bugger.

Awaiting your reply before I delve into there tearing things UP.

D20on20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paulie: How did U replace the front maplights? Did U pry out the plastic lens covers and partially drop the overhead console? I looked at it, what a bugger.

Awaiting your reply before I delve into there tearing things UP.

Hey Turkey, I should be getting my bulbs in this afternoon. Did you just take a flat precision screwdriver and pry the map light tabs off? Any issues/suggestions? I've been known to Hulk mode these activities, so I want an idea of how much the lenses can handle

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL, If U pull the back 3 tabs and take out the (2) screws in the glasses holder, I have talked to other people and the console is just supposed to drop. NOT !! There are (2) more plastic tabs molded into the console just behind the glasses holder that are pressed into like 3/4" holes in the upper metal console frame support. I DID not know they were there, pried a lil more and wala, Not only did the console come down but I SNAPPED both of them plastic molded tabs, GRRRRRR. Good thing there are 2 screws at the front. U can get the lenses out, but U best be stupid gentle. I was so mad when I snapped those tabs I just put the console back up and left it. ALSO< really hard to get the 194 bulbs out if U take the lens off and almost impossible to put the led's there because not enough room ref reflector hole and there is not an actual socket but (2) metal tabs wired like weak bent paper clips that when U push up to seat the bulb, BENDS. So ne way I spoke to my SA at Dealership and he is going to look for a new console for me when parts come out with LED reflectors, just saying...

Maybe when I get bored I may go out there and play but only after I know I can get a replacement console....

And FWIW I did get the lenses off but it is extremely tight like they are almost pressed into there, Proceed with Caution....

Just all above IMHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed the whole console from the truck. 2 bolts under sunglasses holder then I believe it just pops off (tabs as well) The real pain is separating the trim ring from the console. You have to be careful so you don't break any of the tabs. I did NOT take the lens covers off I went in through the back. The ring on the outside edge is the key to getting it apart. There are 2 hidden tabs in just about the middle of the console. Youll find them when you get all the other tabs separated and it still wont separate. Just take your time and work your way around the console. I found starting at the top part was easier. I wish I videoed changing them out as there aren't any up yet. Good luck!! Also watch a video on youtube on the last Gen Ram maplight change and it helped me find a general sense of where to start and what to expect.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK< Paulie, went over to a friends house and did Surgery on dat upper console. Since I had already pulled previously and broke the 2 front tabs by the eyeglass holder, not a problem. I DID not take apart all of the metal for the socket from the rear. Used small eyeglass screwdrivers and carefully pried off the lenses. Replaced with Led 10's, already did my floor lamps and replaced rear upper with festoon 42, or 44, not remember which one. Then put console back up. Since I broke those (2) tabs, used lock tight on the 2 screws and wala, installed with LED. What a PITA...

I am awaiting my SA at dealership on info if a console with LED plates available and if I find out, I will get part number and post...

OYEWOLE info here and also previous post FYI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK< Paulie, went over to a friends house and did Surgery on dat upper console. Since I had already pulled previously and broke the 2 front tabs by the eyeglass holder, not a problem. I DID not take apart all of the metal for the socket from the rear. Used small eyeglass screwdrivers and carefully pried off the lenses. Replaced with Led 10's, already did my floor lamps and replaced rear upper with festoon 42, or 44, not remember which one. Then put console back up. Since I broke those (2) tabs, used lock tight on the 2 screws and wala, installed with LED. What a PITA...

I am awaiting my SA at dealership on info if a console with LED plates available and if I find out, I will get part number and post...

OYEWOLE info here and also previous post FYI
Well at least you got them switched out!! I found pulling it all apart was easier, but there are always 2 ways to do something!! Let me know if you get that part number!! Congrats!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As U know, that sucker is a stupid PITA, but thanks. If and when I get part number, I shall forward.

Dome11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
Just a quick question for anyone who has swapped out the interior bulbs to LED's. I read this in the manual (pg 408) "All of the inside bulbs are brass or glass-wedge base. Aluminum base bulbs are not approved". Just wondering if anyone has had any issues? Thank you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
Just a quick question for anyone who has swapped out the interior bulbs to LED's. I read this in the manual (pg 408) "All of the inside bulbs are brass or glass-wedge base. Aluminum base bulbs are not approved". Just wondering if anyone has had any issues? Thank you.
None yet. Work perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped out all my incandescent interior to LED, using this brand in both the maps etc, and a festoon same company in dome: The only bulb I did not replace was the lower glove box light. The upper was led from factory, all other interior were incandescent, alas, the lower MY 19 Bighorn Trim

led.JPG

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone upgrade the interior lights to LEDs...looking for the model LEDs ill need for the map lights and dome lights

If U plan on doing upper map lights, let me know because those upper console lights in Bighorn were a monster PITA, and to pull down upper console has all sorts of lil "issues", that I know now, LOL