Intermittent stumbling with hot ambient temps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sredish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long post, sorry.

I need assistance with troubleshooting my baja princess. She's an 07 5.7 w/ 180k miles. As of 10 or 12k miles ago, she has heads, Spartan+ cam and proper tuning from hemifever. Existing codes are 0440 and 0430 which I'm working out.

Been trying to track down a very intermittent (like once or twice a year) stumbling issue. Only typically happens upon acceleration when it's really hot, after I've been running hard for a while (like hours on the highway) and slow to a crawl. it'll clear itself pretty quick usually but in worst case, I've had to pull over, open hood and wait a few. It'll start to rev with gas pedal input then immed stumble much like it's running out of fuel.

It seems to be a heat issue and I thought in the throttle body or air intake (engine temp is always cool), so I changed the air intake setup and pulled the cowling to help move air. Then a 115 day, it did it again bad. Had to pull over, pop hood and wait 15. I put in hood fans and all good for awhile. Then this weekend, it happened again on my on the hwy coming home. Hauling ass, got to phoenix and hit traffic and it did it; it was only 90* on the road.

Today I think, it happens after I've been running, so fuel use / empty tank. Used to have a problem filling the tank with the venting, similar time frame as the stumbling, then the filling issue stopped. Before coming back from Mex, I filled up and it was being a ***** again, had to trickle it because it was not venting. Then, after I burnt 3/4 of the tank going home, it stumbled a few times. So, starting to think maybe there could be a relation with the fuel venting being an issue in a way that defuels the truck. but dodge tech says that shouldn't happen. I dunno if the issue is under the hood or in the vapor canisters / fuel vents.

I have a new evap filter and purge solenoid to replace. I used to think throttle body and / or sensors overheating and causing it to defuel or starve out but not sure.

I've been dealing with this for 3 or 4 years now and keep trying to find the cause. Everything I've done to try and address has been an improvement elsewhere so not all bad but still haven't solved it. Once to help get me through it, I wrapped tshirts around the intake tube and wet them with ice water and it helped a lot. On another occasion it got so bad, I couldn't give it gas from even an idle then it stalled and wouldn't start, 100% llke ran out of fuel; while I was crossing border into US and had to be towed across lol. Finally was able to stop for 15 or 20, then started right up and drove home.

Should I be looking at fuel venting, or throttle sensors, map sensors. Again, 99.9% of the time, she starts and runs perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sredish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In case I didn't say, the engine temps are always perfect and the trans temp is always good. This also existed before the cam and heads, that really had no effect or change for better or worse.

Have replaced since this has started:

• air intake (running S&B now)
  • air intake temp sensor
  • map sensor
  • fuel tank vent filter
  • purge valve (the one under the hood by the fuses)

I'm still chasing down the fuel vent for filling. That's intermittent as well but again, I'm wondering if it's related. I haven't really messed with the throttle body, to see if there's build up or anything. I'll be checking that soon. One problem is, I can't recreate this symptom, never really know when it's going to hit.