Intermittent Turbo Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyFromMontana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins. A while back the check engine light came on with the codes referring to lost communication with the turbo actuator, exceeding learning limits and so on. No noticeable drivability issues at first. After a while the exhaust brake quit working. All the research I could find pointed to replacing the actuator and/or turbo. And I did that, I just replaced the actuator this week, but I'm still getting check engine light, codes and intermittent drivability issues. If I clear the codes, the truck performs as it should. Full boost and full exhaust brake with multiple test runs on the highway. But when I come back into town, at in town speeds 25-45 MPH, the check engine light comes back on and the codes return. The driveability issues also return as soon as the check engine light comes on; limited boost (max about 20 PSI) and the exhaust brake quits working. Sometimes it takes a few engine shut offs/restarts in town before the light comes back on, but it always comes back on and the drivability issues immediately return. I can clear the codes again, it runs fine for a bit then as soon as the light comes back on the issues return again. And over, and over I go. Has anyone seen this issue before and what did you do to fix? I don't think its a turbo/turbo actuator problem since I just replaced the actuator. The problem must be somewhere else. The codes I currently have are are listed below. Please help if you can.

P00AF - Turbo charger boost control "A" module performance. P2BAC - NOx exceedence deactivation of EGR (this is a new code since after replacing the actuator). P003A - Turbo charger boost control "A" position exceeded learning limit. U010C - Lost communication with turbo control module "A". P0046 - Turbo charger boost control solenoid circuit range/performance.

JamesSoltis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have exactly the same problem on my 2014 Ram 3500. Same codes, same experience with the light coming on, going off. I have not noticed a reply on this forum. Have you found an answer to the issue?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you make sure the actuator was aligned properly when you replaced it? Did you try moving the VGT arm manually with the actuator off. If it’s sticky at all it will set those codes and the turbo will have to be replaced.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Also, check the wiring harness going to the actuator. The "Lost communications ..." and "Boost control circuit performance" codes sometimes happens with a damaged harness. Lastly, check the pins and sockets in the connector that goes to the actuator with a magnifying glass and strong light. Corrosion on that connection can also cause communication problems. I like Deoxit D5 for cleaning and protecting automotive connectors. Follow up D5 with S5 for extra protection of those contacts.

Last edited:

trap shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Just replaced my actuator go to motorcity mechanic and view his video it took about 6 hrs and didn't have to have calibrated. Purchased it at city diesel runs 920.00 with shipping however I understand that fca is extending the warranty on some years but not our 2014s yet also on city diesels site is a good explanation of what to look for