Intermittently Won't Start - Single Click, No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrivesThor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey so I'm having a very similar problem with my 2018 ram 1500 5.7 Laramie a week ago I took on a short drive and parked in a parking lot where I ran in and back out. Everything went as per the norm on re-entry (the dome lights lit the ram appeared on the radio and dash lights came on). I turned the key from run to start nothing happened. I keep a voltmeter in the truck so I checked the voltage on the battery (which was replaced 3 months ago) which I had 12.8 volts. With the hood opened, I turned the key to run and heard the fuel pump prime then turned to start. At that point, there was a ten-second delay then it started. A week went by and it started first time every time without hesitation. Yesterday I stopped at a gas station and filled up got back in and it was a repeat of a week prior. This time I was completely stranded 12.8 volts on the battery. I could hear the starter click but it was faint. I got a guy to tow me home into my muddy driveway. If I can get underneath today, I am going to light test the starter post, the nut and terminal. I might possible tap test the starter gently as to not cause any damage. I have a new relay being transferred to AutoZone since there is not another relay like that in the fuse box (It will be good to have a spare). I checked the visual portions of the wiring harness bundles and junctions and there did not seem to be any marring of the bundle covering. Is there anything else I can check while I’m in and underneath the truck today?

OP
OP
Learylax3r

Learylax3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after I purchased a new battery and installed it, but before the issue arose again, I found what the problem was with my truck. My wife happened to drive it one day and stated that she couldn't move the seat forward, only backward. Sure enough I had a wire for the seat controls that was pinched and was grounding out against the seat frame. Depending on how that wire vibrated it would either make contact and kill the battery or not touch and all would be fine. No blown fuse in the box, but the controls were fried. I put some chaffe protection on the wires and replaced the seat controls. No issues since.

DrivesThor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will look at that because I vacuumed the whole thing out earlier that day and I always move the seat all the way forward and then back again to get underneath. Thanks for the tip man. Update I got home last night after work and went out in the pouring rain to climb underneath of the beast. I decided to try starting it before I went mud wrestling with a 3 ton truck and it fired right off. I got in and moved to to a better place out of the mud so I could throw a shade tent over it. I shut it down and started and shut it down and started it 10 times without so much as a hesitation. Mind blown. I know the problem is going to bite me in the A$$ if I don't look into it further. More updated to come.

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
FYI...my 2014 5.7 had a failed starter solenoid yesterday.

symptoms = push start button and hear one single click, but engine never cranked over.
diagnosis = hit starter solenoid with a hammer and it started right up
solution = replace starter/solenoid (1 hour job)

the solenoid will fail over time and hitting it with a hammer will vibrate it enough to allow the electromagnet to engage

DrivesThor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update I also had a starter solenoid failure. I’m a little troubled that when I pulled the starter off it was not the original starter. It was a reman starter on a 2018 ram truck. So I’m it’s 5 years of life it’s now gone through 2 starters. I would like to think this problem is behind me but time will tell. The solenoid did infact test bad. ‍♂️