Is MP3 only file type Uconnect plays from USB input?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic Tradesman
Engine
V6 Pentastar
When using usb and thumb drives, will Uconnect play other file types besides MP3?
For example will it play M4A?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a bunch of itunes music transferred to a 32g thumb drive and it plays just fine. Not sure if thats the answer your looking for!

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
When using usb and thumb drives, will Uconnect play other file types besides MP3?

I believe UConnect will play MP3, WMA, and MPA formatted music from a USB stick.

OP
OP
My4thRam

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Thanks for reply..........I had only tried one thumb drive I had laying around that had MP3 & M4A files on it.

It didn't recognize some files. Some where in folders and some stand alone.....I didn't try to figure out if that played into the unrecognized ones at all.

I read on another thread since posting this, that guys have been having best luck using FAT32 format on the drives and loading the files individually, not in folders.

I will format a 8 gig drive FAT32 and load a couple each of MP3 & M4A files on it and try it out.

I will post my results in a day or two.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks for reply..........I had only tried one thumb drive I had laying around that had MP3 & M4A files on it.

It didn't recognize some files. Some where in folders and some stand alone.....I didn't try to figure out if that played into the unrecognized ones at all.

I read on another thread since posting this, that guys have been having best luck using FAT32 format on the drives and loading the files individually, not in folders.

I will format a 8 gig drive FAT32 and load a couple each of MP3 & M4A files on it and try it out.

I will post my results in a day or two.

I would be interested to know not only which of these file formats play via UConnect, but which ones will respond to voice commands. I bet only mp3 files will play via voice commands.

OP
OP
My4thRam

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I would be interested to know not only which of these file formats play via UConnect, but which ones will respond to voice commands. I bet only mp3 files will play via voice commands.

If the M4A does play, I will test that VR out for you also.;)

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most of my stuff is m4a format and in folders and plays, sucks i cant look in each folder and pic what i wanna play like my last trucks aftermarket headunit! But its ok

OP
OP
My4thRam

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I formatted a 8gig thumb drive FAT32 and put some MP3 and some M4A files on it.

It only plays the MP3s.

I didn't bother to try voice commands because we know they work with MP3.

Maybe just these particular files, I will try different ones when I get a chance.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
My USB drive is 32 gb and was formatted to Fat32. I have a little over 2000 songs on it all in MP3 format at 192 kbps. Works and sounds great. The only issue I have is every once in a while when I start the truck the drive isn't recognized and I have to move it to the other USB slot and it works. Tried a different brand of USB and the same thing. Not a big issue but an annoyance for sure.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I play Flac music on my UAQ with no issues. Plays all the listed in this thread also.