is my CV axle bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for about a day and a half now I'm hearing a clicking/ kind of like a playing card in the spokes type of sound but definately metal sound. I only hear if I'm going straight or turning left. If I turn right its gone. When I look behind the front driver wheel and grab the CC axle I can wiggle it. The right side doesn't wiggle.

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Either the CV or the HUB.. Lift that side up enough to get the wheel off the ground and try to wiggle it left and right and top to bottom.. if there is accesive play then chances are its your hub.. if not it could be the CV.. Is your boot broken?

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No my boot isn't broken. Ill check the hub, thanks for the advise.

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had a clicking metal noise and thought it was the cvs and it wasnt. it was the rear parking brake shoes. get the truck to make the sound constently in a quite parking lot then pull the parking brake. see if the sound leaves or changes tone. thats what mine did. parking shoes were broken and hitting inner drum. i replaced cvs for no reason, but at least i have new cvs now

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sorry for your troubles, Sounds Busted, Normally you would have to have it in 4x4 to hear that so It's prolly toast and if you put it in 4x4 it will really skip and jump. these things do wear out. I do not recommend any rebuilt units as my record for 3 of those is 11 Months, Mopar ones fixed my 1/2 shaft problems but then again i am a 4Hi Launch Type of Guy!