Is that your final answer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I want to do a 2/2 drop. Call me crazy but I like the tail in the air :)

I have read every single thread in the 4th Gen lowering section on this forum. My head is spinning trying to figure out how I want to do this.

Here is the bottom line. I have a regular cab 2wd Express. I am on a tight budget. I am ok with cutting the coils provided it isn't going to mess up my truck.

Should I cut coils? Should I buy front springs and cut the back? Pros? Cons?

Thanks for the help!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Ground Force has a 2/3 kit...that'll be pretty close to what you're after without cutting anything.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're on a tight budget cutting coils will cost you only your time, provided you have the tools to do the job. My only warning would be to cut less than you think you need because you can cut more off, but replacing two coils will cost as much as a cheap lowering kit.

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the 2/3 kit is over $500 dollars. That's way more than I want to spend. Is there a way to lower it for less than $300?

If I cut the coils two inches or less are there any negative effects I need to be aware of?

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the 2/3 kit is over $500 dollars. That's way more than I want to spend. Is there a way to lower it for less than $300?

If I cut the coils two inches or less are there any negative effects I need to be aware of?

There are huge safety concerns with cutting coils. Also, if you heat up one coil more then the other while cutting your truck will drop crooked and look stupid. One may also end up being stiffer then another. I once bought an 80's mustang that had cut coils. The car looked good, but the handeling was erratic. It would corner nice one way, but not the other.

I have never been on a forum that promoted the idea of cutting coils more then this one. Many others have huge flame wars about it.

I think in the end you will be much happier with the look, ride quality, and handeling charecteristics if you spent the extra money now. If you cant afford it now, wait a week or two.

These are just my opinion however.

Something to think about.....

Cheap. Fast. Reliable.
You can only pick 2

Last edited:

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have experienced no ill effects of cutting my coils. These springs arent variable rate at the top so cutting it isnt really going to hurt anything, just lower you. My truck still rides like factory and I didnt spend a dime. Just an hour so of my time was spent doing it. I cut one full coil and 6" of the next coil off my rear springs and got almost exactly 2" of drop on both sides. As long as you cut them quick with a good cut off wheel you wont heat them enough to worry about them warping. My truck does not sit crooked and handling is predictable and considerably improved.

That being said I wouldnt feel comfortable cutting front springs. Its more likely just me being a wuss but with them being on a strut and on the steering end of things I would feel uncomfortable. It can be, and has been, done so if you feel comfortable going that route go right ahead.

Most people will tell you not to cut because the idea has a negative stigma to it. Too many people have done it wrong/ on springs that shouldnt be cut and it has a bad wrap. These trucks react to it just fine and there are plenty of guys cutting factory coils and some cutting drop coils to get more drop. Just dont go crazy and take your time if you decide to cut and you should be fine.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a HUGE advocate of cutting coils, but I'm also not typically an advocate of buying a near $50K truck that doesn't sit level because the factory can't be bothered to match springs. My truck, and many others, sat very crooked from off the lot. Mine was lower on the driver side by almost 2". I was able to remedy this during my cutting of coils, so it was a two-fer benefit.
I have said before that my litmus test is always my wife. She can find fault with ANYTHING. Any little thing, she'll see/hear/feel it. It's like an annoying gift of hers.
She can't tell the difference in ride quality with our rear end down 2". I genuinely think that says something about how much suspension travel this platform has.
So yeah, if you have the money sitting around, buy a kit. If you don't, cut CAREFULLY, taking less than you think you need; it adds up fast! Using reading material from the forum we calculated what we thought should equate to a 2" drop. It ended up being 3". Using a new set of springs, we cut exactly half as much off, and the drop ended up being a full 2" lower than stock. So cut less! It would be less frustrating to take everything apart (in the rear at least haha) twice to cut a little more off if needed, than to take too much.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can throw Ground Force out the window,i have/had their rear 2" drop spring kit and ended up taking one spring out and using a cut stock spring.
One spring was okay gave close to the advertized drop,the other spring never did quit dropping,i finally ****** it out when the drivers side of the truck sat 2" lower then the passenger side.
Colour me not impressed with their kit,might of been a bad spring,but it never quit sagging
Cutting springs if done properly with a cut-off disc is perfectly okay.
I did a 2/2 drop on my little shortbox and like how it sits.
Your stock shocks are perfectly fine,and so are your bumpstops.
Cut-em,and save yourself a pile of money.
I wouldn't waste money on aftermarket spring kits if you're only dropping 2".
Don't go any lower then 2" drop on the front if your cutting the springs,"if" you still want to get the truck's front wheel alignment sorta right.
We had a hell'va time getting my electric steering 13's alignment just into specs,and at that it's just barely in the alignment window.
If the rear pan hard bar gives you static,there's enough meat in the frame bracket to re-drill the hole higher and also move it over slightly,you don't neccessarily need an adjustable bar with only a 2" drop.

Start with a 1/2 coil cut on the front and no more then a 3/4 coil cut on the rear ,as Audio says,you can always trim more if needed,but you can't put it back

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided after seeing some 2/4 trucks in person to just go with the 2/4 drop. I ordered the Belltech 964SP. I feel a lot more comfortable about doing the drop after I did some research on how the Ram suspension works and how lowering the truck changes the geometry. I understand why some people were having problems and how to avoid/fix those problems. Again, thanks for all of the advice guys.