Issue changing a brake caliper.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My son has a 2002 Toyota Highlander AWD, and had one of his brake pads fall out.

I went over to help him and sure enough, the left outside rear pad was gone and the caliper had worn about 1/8 inch of the rotor surface and itself away.

I took him to the part store and he bought a new rotor, caliper, pads, and fluid.

I installed the caliper, and no matter what I did, I could not get the new banjo fitting and crush washers to seal at all. After dic-king around several times, it still would not seal.

Luckily, I kept the old screw and crush washers, and it sealed up on the first try.

Anybody ever have this issue?

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Crush washers to thin would be mt guess
Actually, the new ones seemed thicker that the ones that were originally there.

Definately weird, I tried and tried. No dice.

One thing I did not check was the length of the new banjo screw, maybe it was too long and bottoming out somehow.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, the new ones seemed thicker that the ones that were originally there.

Definately weird, I tried and tried. No dice.

One thing I did not check was the length of the new banjo screw, maybe it was too long and bottoming out somehow.

I agree, probably different length bolt/screw. Bottomed out before seal was made.