Issue with 2019 Big Horn (possible axle?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ppk487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

Picked up my 2019 big horn from the dealership after it was in for service for 3 days. I reported popping/grinding sounds when making slow and sharp turns. My truck has 73k miles on it but otherwise going strong. Anyways I asked them to check the front axles. They called me on day 2 and told me it’s my front wheel hubs and they’d replace them I would just have to pay my $200 deductible on my extended warranty. Long story short after I get it today and pull into the driveway that same sound is there. Now obviously I’m going to call them ASAP tomorrow, and I had to get my own rental car (which MOPAR refunds you up to $35 a day for a $170 maximum yet the cheapest car I could get was $70 a day). Any ideas what it could be so I have some ammo To fire back at them tomorrow ?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition is your CV shafts in, are the boots torn, when turning you can get the noises you described, I don't buy both of your wheel bearings are bad, what condition is your stub shaft on the passenger side in, is your 4x4 working?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
does it make the noises while turning either way, or just when turning left or right ?

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My guess would be a cv joint . Inner ones clunk when accelerating, outer ones make a clicking type noise when turning .

OP
OP
P

Ppk487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the 4x4 seems to be working fine. The noise can be heard turning either way except it’s more prevalent when turning left. I got my truck inspected by a local mechanic to my job and he sent me this.
The truck is going back to the dealer on Monday.
IMG_0395.jpeg

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all that rust on there make sure the stub shaft is not on its way out, that will make allot of noise, typically the 4X4 will not engage that passenger side wheel hub.

OP
OP
P

Ppk487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s back in for service. The dealership said “you described it to sound like a grinding sound, not a rubbing sound like this time” I said what does it matter? It still makes noise?

Anyway, not sure what causes that. This truck has only driven on pavement. I’ll advise what the next step is, they said it’ll be a day or two before they get to my truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have learned that you never tell a service advisor exactly what to do, because they will do it, even if they know that there is nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
P

Ppk487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After 4 days of service they could not determine the issue. I asked for it back and am just going to trade it in for a new truck. Chrysler service has been awful in the times I’ve actually needed it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have extended warranty. If it were me I would get an independent mechanic to figure out exactly what is wrong, then take it in to a Dealer and get that fixed. It will sell for a lot more fixed anyhow. Other option would be to drive it till it breaks and then fix it.

I would also start checking out other nearby dealers. I know in my immediate area there are 3 really good ones and about 6 mediocre to bad one. Having to buy a whole new truck to get rid of a popping sound seems a little extreme to me, unless you just want a new truck. Best of luck.

GilR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So the 4x4 seems to be working fine. The noise can be heard turning either way except it’s more prevalent when turning left. I got my truck inspected by a local mechanic to my job and he sent me this.
The truck is going back to the dealer on Monday.
View attachment 522459
Looks just like mine! I learned today by my mechanic the right axle is bad (as play in it). I have a 2019 4x4 (rarely used) and I only have 53K miles! Warranty is 3 years / 36 months. Dealer quoted me $800+. Very disappointed!