It Was a Good Run, But I'm Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Transmission fluid change - RAM ~$800 vs VW ~$300
Spark plugs - RAM 16 plugs vs VW 4 plugs
Tires - RAM $1300 (last 40K+ miles) vs VW $1000 (last 60K+ miles)
Gas - RAM 33 gallons (14 mpg) = 462 mile range vs VW 18.4 gallons (28 mpg) = 515 mile range
Oil - RAM 7 qts vs VW 5.7 qts (not much difference but adds up over time)

The list goes on. Even though some of the maintenance items are more frequent, the cost is less overall.

Plus now I don't have to get on a stepladder to do anything (add oil, clean the windshield, replace the 3rd brake light, etc.). My back is much happier now.
Suh, do what works for you. I have to have a truck, hossie, but then my wife is in the Vet Cemetery and just me, but Chief, just do what works, do not look back and please stay in the Forum. Also, TY for your service.

DA BOIRD.

army turk 2.JPG

OP
OP
brian42

brian42

Military
Reaction score
you gonna let your wife pic the color too :)
She made a comment last fall about how much my gas my truck was drinking and that I might have to consider something more economical. She was actually against me selling my truck until a few weeks ago.

It was me who actually convinced her earlier this month to follow through and do it. Operating costs were only part of it; my health was another. My knee and back can't take climbing in and out of the truck like they used to..and neither of them are getting any better.

As for color I got to pick it...as long as she agreed! ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I literally got rid of a 6 month old cummins because I could no longer shift it, bad knee, so I get it. Like I said, your move is like getting a free car just on fuel savings, smart move. I would likely follow but I need the truck for stuff out here.

In reverse, what I save on hauling my own trash pays for the truck all by ltself. I save over a grand on this and my yearly gas bill is less then that.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
For those larger things you want a pickup box for: just pick up an old used boat trailer, add a sheet of plywood, drill some holes for "eye bolt" type anchors that you can pull behind what ever you get. Won't be the same, but will! It will just look different!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
It sounds like to me the higher cost of living in your state is actually your reason? Why not move to an state that doesn't?

You were military, so you don't get that "itch" to move every three to four years?

But, home is home and where family is, it's even more difficult to just pick up and move, especially more so when retired.

Anyhow, I respect your decision and I thank you for your service.

Last edited:

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Everyone has to do what is best for them and what is best today will likely not be best tomorrow.
I have done well with my RAM but if I could I would like to downsize because of my health and fuel costs. New trucks are simply much too expensive and I refuse to pay for them.

glamisduner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
"Around" 23K miles a year. Not every month is the same miles and gas prices aren't always the same.

I had the truck 1 month short of 4 years and sold it with just over 83K miles on odometer so a little over 20K per year and looking at my maintenance log I drove 24K miles over the last 12 months.

With the increase in support for my parents and doctor's appointments I don't see my mileage going down any time soon.

I've had some months as high as $1200 for the fuel bill. I don't track my fuel spending and my wife just let's me know when it's pushing $1000.

My truck tells me that I'm getting in the high 13's but I haven't hand-calculated in some time...and always 91 octane.

I'm not sure how the math balances out but the debit charges don't lie. How the left side of the equation works I never really cared about since I bought an all-motor (no eTorque) truck. I knew it was going to be a thirsty beast from the get go.
Yep, fuel is expensive in San Diego. Diesel still over $5, but came down a little recently to $5.24 at my locl arco.
I used the high diesel costs to justify my Performance Model 3 Tesla purchase. And that ws before covid...

I could make the new car payment and fuel the vehicle for less than my cost to drive a truck to work and back.
Still have the 3500 though.

BTW the model 3 is the best car I have owned, and bar far the highest performance, but it's never going to be able to do truck stuff. It used to be a $3 commute in a fast and fun car vs a $30-40 commute in the truck. But of course now SDG&E is jacking up the power rates too. Cost to fuel the car is double when I first got it.

But they are sneaky too.
1677528452680.png

It used to be like 8 or 9 cents per kWh to charge at night, and now it's 15, but where the cost to be on an EV plan is really hurting is that is will now be $.82 per kWh for your peak energy usage thats more than double what it used to be. So sure I can still do my commute for ~$6-7 so that sounds good on paper but everything else I use in my house is almost double what it was 4 years ago. That means while I'm saving on gas, it's costing me almost $3 an hour to run the air conditioner in the summer when it's 110 outside. The energy game is rigged.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, fuel is expensive in San Diego. Diesel still over $5, but came down a little recently to $5.24 at my locl arco.
I used the high diesel costs to justify my Performance Model 3 Tesla purchase. And that ws before covid...

I could make the new car payment and fuel the vehicle for less than my cost to drive a truck to work and back.
Still have the 3500 though.

BTW the model 3 is the best car I have owned, and bar far the highest performance, but it's never going to be able to do truck stuff. It used to be a $3 commute in a fast and fun car vs a $30-40 commute in the truck. But of course now SDG&E is jacking up the power rates too. Cost to fuel the car is double when I first got it.

But they are sneaky too.
View attachment 514800

It used to be like 8 or 9 cents per kWh to charge at night, and now it's 15, but where the cost to be on an EV plan is really hurting is that is will now be $.82 per kWh for your peak energy usage thats more than double what it used to be. So sure I can still do my commute for ~$6-7 so that sounds good on paper but everything else I use in my house is almost double what it was 4 years ago. That means while I'm saving on gas, it's costing me almost $3 an hour to run the air conditioner in the summer when it's 110 outside. The energy game is rigged.
BOIRD not going ne where ref truck, hey paid off, driveway princess. I can relate on energy costs. I am on a electric budget bill, which has gone up 48% a month since last October. Also, rural, all propane, and propane was nice enuf to drop under $3 a gallon for now. BUT is costs me twice as much to heat my home than cool. ALSO, anybody besides me watching how much insurance rates are going through the roof to insure a vehicle and/or home. All have gone up immeasurably. SO the lil raise I got in January ref retired all ate up, not counting chow money.

YUP, the Golden Years, lol. BUT OP, if the decision U made works for U, than it is a Great Decision.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
When something is shoved at me/us like they are doing with EV I automatically step back. There’s always an angle that benefits them, not us. In this case I refuse to bite. I will never buy an EV, never. Electric companies will just become the new oil companies. They got you by the balls either way.

znrh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was surprised yesterday when I filled up my 22 Bighorn and it was only 38 bucks. This was only my second fillup with this truck and I live in a pretty reasonable state for gas, SC. My last Ram a 21 Classic with the v6 used to be around 80 to fill up

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was surprised yesterday when I filled up my 22 Bighorn and it was only 38 bucks. This was only my second fillup with this truck and I live in a pretty reasonable state for gas, SC. My last Ram a 21 Classic with the v6 used to be around 80 to fill up
Little confused. 26 gallons* $2.66 which is the cheapest in SC today = $69.16

Rustbelt Bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Chief,God Love Ya'..!! Eh,for openers,twas' mighty good of Ya' to let these "Fine Folks Of The Board" know that you're "Shifting Gears" as to how you carry out rolling around on four wheels..!! Bottom Line: "Your Money,Your Way,Your Family & Medical/Parental Needs,Your Way" Carry On,Mister..!! Stick around,as it does appear that you've got some "Family" here..!!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am part of the "I don't look at the total, just pay the bill" club. I have driven a truck almost constantly since I got my permit, and that is more years than I care to admit. I won't get rid of my 2018 2500 no matter how high gas goes. And with only 13k miles (hard work nonetheless) and going on 4 model years old, I figure to keep this one u til my 9 year old takes it ( I am responsible for keeping it new looking, I have been told).

Then I will get a Ram EV.

Oh, wait, April 1st is month away.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
It's been a great run but my time as a truck guy has come to an end.

22 years with a bed has been great but between my health and operating costs (I spent $950+ on gas for my truck last month) it's just not a practicality any more.

I've only had the RAM for a tad under 4 years but it's been my second favorite vehicle I've ever owned (my 2003 Ford F-250 diesel was my favorite but I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum wants to hear about that).

There's a lot of things I'm going to miss about the truck, but not the fuel economy (14 mpg overall) or the items coming due (transmission fluid change, tires, spark plugs)...or RAM dealerships.

I've appreciated the help over the years and, hopefully, I've paid it forward a little during my time here.

Thanks for everyone and keep enjoying your trucks!
Nice I have a 2013 express with 114,050 miles and been through bad cam shaft (dealer suggested new engine to fix issue with cylinder misfire $9700 )on third starter ,third battery,new oil pan original rusted due to cheap metal used to make it for truck so I understand you saying bye to yours

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
I am part of the "I don't look at the total, just pay the bill" club. I have driven a truck almost constantly since I got my permit, and that is more years than I care to admit. I won't get rid of my 2018 2500 no matter how high gas goes. And with only 13k miles (hard work nonetheless) and going on 4 model years old, I figure to keep this one u til my 9 year old takes it ( I am responsible for keeping it new looking, I have been told).

Then I will get a Ram EV.

Oh, wait, April 1st is month away.
Don’t buy an EV

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slow down on the EV talk!

I may have stepped down from my truck by I'm internal combustion all the way.

I found a VW Passat that fits me nicely and it's all motor baby! Not even start/stop...just like my RAM was.
I was a VW guy for years and a Subaru guy after that. The RAM fits my needs at this stage of my life, not then. There is plenty that you can learn to enjoy with VW's or other manufacturers. I said from day one when I bought my RAM that I was going to buy an interesting daily. Circumstances haven't allowed that, yet.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only cost $38 to fill up, you weren't empty, LOL, maybe like 1/2 tank. But a nice feeling to not dump at least $50 in the go go juice container, LOL.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Are you sweating whilst putting fuel in your car? Feeling sick when paying?​

You have got the carownervirus

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
$ 38.oo, that is a small jerry can price in Canada, Price is down , 1.49 per liter . I use 10 liter ones as 20 L is too heavy these days. BTW diesel is still over $2.oo/ L in places.
Youngest granddaughter just bought a diesel jeep, so we shall see how that turns out, it was cheap.
But advantage of old retired, don't driver like use to , I am doing books, spent just under 1k on gas for the truck, for the year.
quite a bit less for the car, as it just runs for food, She has trouble getting out of the truck, I have trouble with the Honda, some one mentioned the golden years? Need a slap on side of head.
Bat at one time I did have 5 trucks licenced, 2-3 cars, some never put many miles on, but 60 mile drive to it small city , EV would be OK around town, we have 100's miles with no place to charge them. 4 hr drive to the girls place. BTW , She and her husband both retire Military.