JL Audio Stealthbox (2)10TW1 stealthbox and Fox subwoofer Box review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LFHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
I wanted to get opinions and feedback on the various subwoofer box options on the market currently. From Atrend to JL Stealthboxes. Let me know what you have and your opinions of said products.

I recently purchased a single 12" driver side Fox Box as was recommended on here by a few others. I planned to run a JL Audio 12W3V3-2 with a punch 500 amp. I received the box yesterday and intended to install it today and then have my local audio shop do the amp and subwoofer install tomorrow.

Turns out, I HATE this box and am extremely disappointed in the fit and overall design.

The directions specifically state that it includes 5/8" spacers to raise the level of the seat to accommodate the taller subwoofer box. However, it actually came with 1" CNC'd MDF risers. This was a bit bothersome to me as I no longer feel confident that the seatback hooks that hold the seat to the back wall would continue to hold the seats in the even of an accident. Being that I have 4 littles and frequently have 3 of them in the back seat at any given time, this is of paramount concern to me. (For those that don't know, when you fold the seat up, you know how the seat back lifts up a little bit? Well, there are two big hooks that stick out from the back of the seat and hang on to a horizontal bar that keeps the seet back connected to the chassis.) After the risers have been added, when you fold the seat up, the hooks no longer grasp the bar any longer meaning it kind of falls forward (folds forward).

This is a cool concept that I like, in theory, but there's no real storage space back there to utilize anyway.

Additionally, while the box is recessed under the left knee section, the right knee would scratch on a corner of the box that is 90 degrees and protrudes from under the seat as if to say "look at me." This was the nail in the coffin for this box.

So, I originally anticipated spending around $1100 for a subwoofer, amp, box, and install, I have since changed those plans.

I have now ordered the JL Audio stealthbox with (2)10TW1-4's wired into 2ohms. I have also purchased the JL Audio XD1000/1 and will install a remote bass knob as well. I will leave some feedback once it arrives and gets installed but suffice it to say, I am pretty f*$kin pumped about getting this thing in.

Here are some pictures of the Fox Box attempted install:2020-07-14 11.00.40.jpg 2020-07-14 11.00.44.jpg 2020-07-14 11.01.07.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I was going to do it again I'd go custom fibre glass and sundown audio 10s, but I have the 2 10w1 jl box and a xd6001. Xd1000.1 is way too much amp for them so you'll have to dial it right down or you'll melt them right down. Still pissed I was told I could retain the load floor without modification by the jl rep. They're decent sounding, but not super impressive if you're used to big audio systems. No load floor and I'd go 2 12s. I need the load floor though. I managed to make it work https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rear-seat-lifting-for-subwoofer-box.119345/page-6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco
That single sub setup looks horrible. I can see why you'd be frustrated. I got the bigger dual 12in box and although I like the sound, I don't like the size and added weight. I did use the spacers that were provided, but my seats don't fall forward. I have to lift them at about 45 degrees before they unlatch and I pull forward. I recently bought a small fridge for my office and didn't want to put it in the bed of my truck. Had I not had the speaker box, it would've fit perfectly on the floor with the front passenger seat forward. Ended up placing it on the box instead. I think I want a fiberglass enclosure with a single L7 kicker, possibly 10in. Not sure when/if I'll pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that’s sucks I could see the frustration especially having kiddos in the back. Plans for this box? I might be tempted to buy it off from. I have a solid rear folding seat and well nobody sits back there so the issue with it rubbing on someone is not existing. What about the passenger side fold flat floor... any clearance issues while using it with this box? That was the big thing keeping me from upgrading from my Kicker box was according to Fox the fold flat floor would have to be removed but it was never made clear if it was the complete floor or just the driver side. Right now I still use my passenger side with my current set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Foxbox in my Ram and I love it! My hooks even latch when I fold the seat down. Im also using the wooden planks they gave. I have 2 of them on each side. I was also worried about the safety of the seat so I went out and bought the strongest bolts I could find for the bottom. However, mine still latches at the back when I fold the seat down. It only unlatches when the seat is folded up. So I put the amp behind the seat!

When I ordered the Foxbox they only made it for a 10" (ported). Im surprised you have enough room in the box to fit a 12 and for it to sound good. They only offered the 12" Foxbox for the passenger side and it took up 3/4 of the rear cargo area.

It was perfect for me. I wanted to keep the larger portion of the fold flat floors for my Boxer [emoji240] as well as the stock alpine 8" sub

Ill post pics of my set u. The pics are old and from the original install about 2 years ago.
faa0ce6ae2ea0aa4b50eb69bfa4f7718.jpg5d5f747322c1010497b8914ef057928b.jpg10f02c3d6cac0e86777f28e6f76d9528.jpg

Last edited:

IxsharpxI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just wish the stealth box came with tw3 or 5s... that price is crazy. Ive been debating the dual 12" port foxbox myself. either with w6s or SA-12s. I am wanting the folding feature when the seats are up but i dont want them to come down unintentionally lol

OP
OP
LFHandyman

LFHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
Damn that’s sucks I could see the frustration especially having kiddos in the back. Plans for this box? I might be tempted to buy it off from. I have a solid rear folding seat and well nobody sits back there so the issue with it rubbing on someone is not existing. What about the passenger side fold flat floor... any clearance issues while using it with this box? That was the big thing keeping me from upgrading from my Kicker box was according to Fox the fold flat floor would have to be removed but it was never made clear if it was the complete floor or just the driver side. Right now I still use my passenger side with my current set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The fox box is now officially in storage until I offer it up for sale essentially. The fold flat floor does not fit with the fox box AND the seats have to be lifted. I wouldn't lift just one side because it would annoy the crap out of me that one is visibly higher than the others.

i just wish the stealth box came with tw3 or 5s... that price is crazy. Ive been debating the dual 12" port foxbox myself. either with w6s or SA-12s. I am wanting the folding feature when the seats are up but i dont want them to come down unintentionally lol

I've never used any of the flat subs so I'm intrigued. But, I also don't need a high SPL system. I truly just wanted the alpine system when I bought my truck originally, but the deal I got on this one, I couldn't pass up. So here we are. I've had 12's in most of my vehicles, usually 2. But I was young and didn't have kids then.

OP
OP
LFHandyman

LFHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
If I was going to do it again I'd go custom fibre glass and sundown audio 10s, but I have the 2 10w1 jl box and a xd6001. Xd1000.1 is way too much amp for them so you'll have to dial it right down or you'll melt them right down. Still pissed I was told I could retain the load floor without modification by the jl rep. They're decent sounding, but not super impressive if you're used to big audio systems. No load floor and I'd go 2 12s. I need the load floor though. I managed to make it work https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rear-seat-lifting-for-subwoofer-box.119345/page-6

Yea, I was in the car audio world for quite some time and sold JL Audio for a few years. I'm okay with overpowering the system overall and dialing it back to avoid blowing the subwoofers. It means that they'll always get the power they need and the amp won't ever have to struggle to make that power.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea, I was in the car audio world for quite some time and sold JL Audio for a few years. I'm okay with overpowering the system overall and dialing it back to avoid blowing the subwoofers. It means that they'll always get the power they need and the amp won't ever have to struggle to make that power.
I hear ya, but my 600/1 will make them pop before distortion. They are only 300w rms max vs the 600 of the w3. Sounds like you've been around though so as long as you're carefull it's no issue and if you go bigger later no amp upgrade will be required. My midbass drivers in the doors are 200 max peak and they're running off 200w rms each to improve sq so I do understand. Even my tweeters are getting 100w each rms.

Pitbull24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'll love the jl stealth box. I had one in my 3rd gen ram. Currently running two jl 10w3's in an Atrend enclosure powered by a jl xd1000. LOVE IT!

IMG_20180203_143222.jpg

Travis130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Did you like the stealth box or atrend box better