Just for you Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Hegre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, while under a new name not actually a new member. Lost my old email address so back to square one. Just had a little info for anyone living in the country and especially at this time of virus confinement. Hit a bunch of pheasants. At first thought, no damage but that thought only lasted about 5 seconds. Then a very loud fluttering noise. Pulled over immediately and found a hen had actually gone through my grill on the right side and came to a rest on the left side of the radiator. Removed her and looked for damage to the radiator and none was noticed. So, continued on my way. A short time later noticed the check engine light was ON. While not overheating and probably still over 100 miles to destination, continued on. Well, the light stayed on and of course by that virtue, no ECO provision. Now, probably a week later and nice enough weather to investigate farther see plainly that there are a set of louvers on both sides of the radiator and the side the hen came through, they are missing and way down below the radiator. Removed the debris and see the louvers are in tact on the left side but guess they need both sides for proper operation. so, as I don't have a Ram dealer with in 100 miles and probably not going to have parts, decided to see what happened if I disconnected the battery and then re connected. Did that and the light off. took it for a test drive and before getting 2 blocks, the light on once again. So, on a Hail Mary, decided to unplug the wire from the control motor. Did the battery disconnect and reconnect and another test drive. Light OFF and the ECO on. So, just a little tidbit to know if anyone experiences damage to the louvers. Will take it for repairs when the virus has disappeared. Hope no one has a problem like this but if so, hope this will be a temporary help.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought just unplugging it would still throw a code