K&N CAI cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a complete K&N CAI system. Just curious about the cleaning of the filter. I've seen the recharge kits but those appear to be for oiled filters? Mine is a dry filter. Any specific way to clean this?

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen that. Those instructions have you oiling the filter. Mine wasn't oiled to begin with. Am I suppose to oil it?

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
I've seen that. Those instructions have you oiling the filter. Mine wasn't oiled to begin with. Am I suppose to oil it?

I've always just rinsed mine out with a hose....
Just ordered the cleaning kit. I'll give it a shot.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a complete K&N CAI system. Just curious about the cleaning of the filter. I've seen the recharge kits but those appear to be for oiled filters? Mine is a dry filter. Any specific way to clean this?

This is how I clean the K&N Air Filters on my truck and Harley Davidson. Works very well whether it's a dry or oiled type filter.

CLEANING A K&N AIR FILTER
ITEMS NEEDED: 1 5 GAL. BUCKET
2 LARGE BOTTLES OF CLUB SODA
1 BOX OF OXYCLEAN
ADD TWO SCOOPS OF OXYCLEAN TO THE CLEAN BUCKET.
ADD ABOUT 2 GALS. OF WATER AND STIR UNTIL MIXED.
INSERT K&N AIR FILTER CLOSED END DOWN INTO BUCKET.
ADD 2 BOTTLES OF CLUB SODA TO BUCKET, IF FILTER IS STILL EXSPOSED, COVER FILTER WITH MORE WATER.
LET STAND FOR 15 TO 20 MINUTES IN SOLUTION.
SKIM OFF FOAMY CRUD ON TOP OF SOLUTION, OR POUR OFF THE CRUD BEFORE REMOVING AIR FILTER FROM BUCKET.
REMOVE FILTER, RINSE WITH CLEAN WATER USING VERY LOW PRESSURE.
LET AIR FILTER AIR DRY, WHEN DRY, IF REQUIRED, OIL FILTER WITH K&N AIR FILTER OIL UNTIL LIGHTLY COATED, LET STAND SO OIL CAN SOAK IN.
BLOT OFF EXCESS OIL IF NEEDED.
NOTE: DRY K&N FILTERS DO NOT NEED TO BE OILED. OILING THE FILTER ALLOWS THE FILTER TO CATCH MORE DIRT, AND WILL REQUIRE MORE FREQUENT CLEANING.
RE-INSTALL FILTER