Kayak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the best way to transport Kayaks? I know that there are bed racks available but I think it might e difficult since I have a Bakflip installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I have the 6 1/2 foot bed.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Depends on the kayak. I used to haul three 8 foot kayaks side-by-side in the bed when we did river floats a few years ago. But I'm guessing your kayak is longer than that.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I looked into this last year and while I don't remember the brands, I do know that I found a few that worked with my OEM mopar cover. Sorry I can't be more help but I do know for a fact that they do have some that are built specifically to allow for the covers.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I looked into this last year and while I don't remember the brands, I do know that I found a few that worked with my OEM mopar cover. Sorry I can't be more help but I do know for a fact that they do have some that are built specifically to allow for the covers.
I can't see it being that difficult to find one that will work with bed covers as long as the stake pockets are exposed. Try finding something like that which works with the rambox bed with a cover.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't see it being that difficult to find one that will work with bed covers as long as the stake pockets are exposed. Try finding something like that which works with the rambox bed with a cover.

I agree with your first post. There's no point is designing the system without the pertinent details.

I've been carrying a set of whitewater kayaks in the box with the tailgate open for several decades but that's not relevant until the OP provides the kayak sizes.

Kayaks are quite easy to transport, regardless of the length but...

I've had more than my share of kayaks, from a 17' sea kayak to 7' rodeo boats.

I prefer roof racks for canoes and sea kayaks and small ones just get tossed/tied in the back with the tailgate open.

I am able to fit either of my whitewater kayaks diagonally in the box with both the tailgate and the Roll-N-Lock closed.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will have 2 kayaks, transporting them on top of the Bakflip is most likely out of the question as 4’ of the kayak would be sticking out.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Our kayaks our 10' and they fit in in my old 5.5' bed and hung out a bit. They would fit upside down, side by side with the tailgate closed. One had to sit on a wheel well if the tailgate was down.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our kayaks our 10' and they fit in in my old 5.5' bed and hung out a bit. They would fit upside down, side by side with the tailgate closed. One had to sit on a wheel well if the tailgate was down.
I need the bed to transport camping gear.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need the bed to transport camping gear.

Given your updated info, I would be inclined to get a good roof rack.

I didn't screw around buying any fancy boat attachments, I just have a basic Thule with locking bases.

The Thule rack system is stupidly expensive but it fits the truck well and provides a secure method of transporting a canoe or kayaks.

And after installing it and removing it about 18 times, it left no damage or souvenirs on my truck.

IIRC, I paid about $900 Canadastan dollars about 2 years ago.

I have a 15' Carbon Kevlar canoe and not willing to gamble with a POS cheap rack.

If your kayaks are polyethylene or not too expensive, you might consider a cheaper rack.

Plop the kayaks on top, before loading the box. Toss 2 pieces of webbing with cam locks over top of the kayaks to secure them to each cross member on the rack.

I bought several sets for a few $ from Dollarama, they were exactly the same as the $16 set from Canadian Tire.

After loading the box, use a single loop of rope (about 4' long approximately) through the bow & stern grab loops, passing the loop through itself to create a single point of attachment. One loop on each end.

Connect the rope loops onto a V shaped set of webbing with ratcheting cams. Anchor the webbing under the bumper. I use the holes in the frame at the rear.

The V-straps were crazy expensive, I've had them for many years. I'll get pictures and post.

I'll try to find some pictures but likely only have canoe pictures using the rack.

If you're interested in learning more about using this type of system, I have a couple of other tips to save grief and improve your travel enjoyment.

Last edited:

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have two 12' kayaks with a bed cover. I just slide them in under the cover the cover. They hang out of course but just make sure they are secured in and it will be fine.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Given your updated info, I would be inclined to get a good roof rack.

I didn't screw around buying any fancy boat attachments, I just have a basic Thule with locking bases.

The Thule rack system is stupidly expensive but it fits the truck well and provides a secure method of transporting a canoe or kayaks.

And after installing it and removing it about 18 times, it left no damage or souvenirs on my truck.

IIRC, I paid about $900 Canadastan dollars about 2 years ago.

I have a 15' Carbon Kevlar canoe and not willing to gamble with a POS cheap rack.

If your kayaks are polyethylene or not too expensive, you might consider a cheaper rack.

Plop the kayaks on top, before loading the box. Toss 2 pieces of webbing with cam locks over top of the kayaks to secure them to each criss member on the rack.

I bought several sets for a few $ from Dollarama, they were exactly the same as the $16 set from Canadian Tire.

After loading the box, use a single loop of rope (about 4' long approximately) through the bow & stern grab loops, passing the loop through itself to create a single point of attachment. One loop on each end.

Connect the rope loops onto a V shaped set of webbing with ratcheting cams. Anchor the webbing under the bumper. I use the holes in the frame at the rear.

The V-straps were crazy expensive, I've had them for many years. I'll get pictures and post.

I'll try to find some pictures but likely only have canoe pictures using the rack.

If you're interested in learning more about using this type of system, I have a couple of other tips to save grief and improve your travel enjoyment.

I am interested in what else you have in mind, also the pics of the rack will help.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just grabbed a couple of pictures of the webbing I use, rack pics will have to wait till tomorrow.

The Mosquitoes are ravenous outside tonight.

These are the webbing straps from Dollarama that I throw over top of my canoe to lash it to the racks.

Many people only secure the bow & stern, I like the added security of having the boat anchored to the rack.

My Dagger polyethylene kayaks are simple whitewater rodeo boats but if I put them on the racks, they'd be secured to the racks too. They're more money than I want to spend now.

20240514_194212.jpg

Make sure to twist the webbing between the rack and boats, anywhere you see a straight piece otherwise, it will oscillate in the wind and the noise will drive you nuts. LOL

This is one of the V-straps that I use on the bow & stern, I'm sure you can locate something similar at a local paddling store.

20240514_194230.jpg

Again, avoid having a long run of straight strap without a twist or 2 because it will vibrate, loosen, and make noise.

If you have far to travel and plan to enjoy several trips, Thule makes a streamlined low noise aerodynamic rack system that might be worth the added expense.

My base model Thule makes a bit of noise on the highway but I don't have far to go.

I have more tips I've learned after doing many trips over several years with lots of canoes and kayaks.

In the 80s and 90s, I often paddled 5 or 6 days per week. This is how I kept my demons away and tried to remain sane. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there enough room on the Thule for 2 kayaks?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there enough room on the Thule for 2 kayaks?

That's something that you will have to figure out. Thule racks allow you the option of different sized cross bars for different uses.

Add the width of your kayaks + ~8" for 4" extra per side for load locks and you should be good to go.

You had best confirm how much extra bar length is required. I'll try to find time tomorrow to check mine, I saw them earlier before the Mosquitoes chased me away.

Checkout the Thule website to get an idea of the different models of racks, they have a fitment guide based on your truck model.

I found one specifically for a '21 Ram 1500 Classic, IIRC.

The mounting feet are custom to each vehicle and have the option to lock.

These are the feet.

20240514_212625.jpg

These are the bar load stops and the small box is the locks for the feet.

20240514_212706.jpg

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I priced out the Thule system, they sure are proud of their products. For $1200 I can buy a nice adjustable bed rack that works with my Bakflip.