Key Fob programming 2002 Ram W/O a Master Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM-JAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Help much appreciated!
Two-part question.

Can a 2002 RAM 1500, missing the master key fob, be programmed with a key fob from a 2000 Ram? I understand there had been electrical changes between these different model years. Remember I don't have the Master fob, just a unprogrammed 2002 fob I acquired.

I don't even know if this 2002 Ram had the keyless entry option? How could I go about determining that? Otherwise I'll waste time trying to program a fob.

Thanks much in advance!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
no FOB from another vehicle would work with yours
It has to be blank, before it can be programmed

Does a 2002 Dodge Ram Key have a chip in it?

From the year 2002 most of the Dodge Ram Pickup Trucks require a transponder chip key to be programed to your truck.

Most Mobile Locksmiths carry Transponders & regular FOBs
they also have a programmer

if you have a ACE Hardware nearby, they can also do programming

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used this and bought an extra blank online. All i needed was an ignition key. Has worked well for two years.

Dorman 99164 Keyless Entry Remote 3 Button Compatible with Select Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth Models (OE FIX)​

Visit the Dorman Store
4.2 out of 5 stars 1,246 ratings

| 191 answered questions

-10% $53.47$53.47
Was: $59.57$59.57

FREE Returns

or 3 monthly payments of $17.83

Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 $53.47 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.

May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

BrandDorman
Unit Count1.0 Count
Voltage1.5 Volts
Model99164
Item Dimensions LxWxH1.5 x 4.13 x 8.8 inches

About this item​

• Vehicle-specific replacement or spare - this keyless entry transmitter looks and functions like the original fob on certain vehicle years, makes, models and configurations
  • Do-it-yourself solution - includes a patented programmer that plugs into your OBD II port to setup your new fob in minutes, without expensive dealership programming
  • Matches features - this 3-button remote control features lock, unlock and panic functions
  • Important notes - you must have at least one of your original keys or fobs for programming process; only for use on vehicles that came originally equipped with keyless entry
See more product details

TechCam97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An easy way to tell if your 2002 Ram came from the factory with RKE (remote keyless entry) is if the passenger side door handle doesn't have a key lock cylinder. If it's smooth, your truck likely came with RKE. If there is a spot for a key, then you do not have the RKE module. If you do not have RKE installed from the factory, the good news is that you can add it. The back of the cluster is where the RKE receiver plugs in:

cluster.gif

The RKE receiver part number you need is: P56045755AB. There are likely some listed on eBay and other sites. Make sure you're snagging just the module:

60100162-2219-P.jpg

Some people list the entire instrument cluster under that part number. The easiest way to get it is to go to your local pick and pull and snag one from a donor truck.

Then get you some keyfobs off Amazon for $25:

71b-Afq2-ZXYL-AC-SL1500.jpg

And take it to a locksmith who can do Dodge vehicles or go to the dealership and they can program it for you. I did it on my 2002 Ram and it works great! Hope this helps!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
An easy way to tell if your 2002 Ram came from the factory with RKE (remote keyless entry) is if the passenger side door handle doesn't have a key lock cylinder. If it's smooth, your truck likely came with RKE. If there is a spot for a key, then you do not have the RKE module. If you do not have RKE installed from the factory, the good news is that you can add it. The back of the cluster is where the RKE receiver plugs in:

View attachment 510109

The RKE receiver part number you need is: P56045755AB. There are likely some listed on eBay and other sites. Make sure you're snagging just the module:

View attachment 510110

Some people list the entire instrument cluster under that part number. The easiest way to get it is to go to your local pick and pull and snag one from a donor truck.

Then get you some keyfobs off Amazon for $25:

View attachment 510111

And take it to a locksmith who can do Dodge vehicles or go to the dealership and they can program it for you. I did it on my 2002 Ram and it works great! Hope this helps!
What he's leaving out of this good explanation is that particular RKE module (which was used across entire lines from the late 90's til about 05-06) is near impossible to find anymore, unless you luck out and find a good used one.

cyborgnator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. I'm trying to program a key fob so I can unlock all the doors and not have to walk towards the drivers door and use a key then press a button on the door console to unlock all of the doors (I know, 1st world problems). The passenger door does not have a key hole and this truck is equipped with a Remote Key Entry module. I checked and it's on the back of the instrument cluster. I bought a fob from Amazon and I tried using a two way scanner to program the fob but it wont work. I tried taking the truck to a lock smith and they couldnt program it either. They even tried their own fobs. Afterwards they told me to check the fuse.... There is no fuse for the RKE. I bought another module which is a bit different from the one I had. The one I had on the truck with the two last characters being AC and the one I bought is AB. Still cannot program the key fob. What am I doing wrong?