Key less entry fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have key less entry, and push button start on my 2013. Both of my fob's came with a door/tailgate key attached to the fob. Since the fob's themselves have a "valet" key built in, is there any need to even carry the full size ? I have searched the site, but unless I missed it could not find a good answer to my question. It is the 4 button fob that looks like this.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

51MS%2B3cRQvL.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The full size keys are good to “ Leave 1 at home & and hide one on the exterior of the truck” that way you have guaranteed means of access no matter what. At least that’s my opinion-

OP
OP
Badger 13

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only issue I see with hiding one key on the truck, is it only gives you access inside, you still could not drive it w/o the fob ?? Even the idea of the "valet key" doesn't make sense since you can't start the truck w/o the fob. I miss my 95 Dodge for this reason, one key and not "chipped". Could hide one on the truck and it would let me in and, let me start and drive the truck. Am I missing something with this set up ?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
If you open the door with the key without the fob you will set the alarm off.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
quietpeen is absolutely correct.... how do i know....? because it happened to me... and the anti-theft mode will not let you start the truck either.
If you hide a key fob (w/push button start option) within the chassis, anybody can easily steal your vehicle very easily, if they get inside of the truck.
I`m not sure how far away the fob has to be from the truck to still be able to read it, but i surely wont chance hiding a fob anywhere outside of the vehicle.

First rule of thumb, don't lose your key fob!

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little off topic, and I am sure I put this story on here once before, but when I had my 2011 Chrysler 300, I took my at the time girlfriend to work. I dropped her off, and went on my way. All of a sudden it started chiming saying no fob. I called her and she had the key! I was at least 2 miles away and still moving. That scared the lights out of me, knowing if the vehicles on before the fob left it, it would still move and could be stolen and driven away without the fob. Havent tested this on my truck to see if it still does it.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A little off topic, and I am sure I put this story on here once before, but when I had my 2011 Chrysler 300, I took my at the time girlfriend to work. I dropped her off, and went on my way. All of a sudden it started chiming saying no fob. I called her and she had the key! I was at least 2 miles away and still moving. That scared the lights out of me, knowing if the vehicles on before the fob left it, it would still move and could be stolen and driven away without the fob. Havent tested this on my truck to see if it still does it.

On my '14 it does work the same as your 300 did.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you must hide a fob, remove the battery and the proximity feature will not work to access the cab nor keyless start.
Remove the blade to access the cab. Your alarm will go off but if you push the corner of the fob against the start button the module will read the key, the alarm should stop sounding and start. You then live with the chime that your remote is not present until you switch the truck off.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you hide a key fob (w/push button start option) within the chassis, anybody can easily steal your vehicle very easily, if they get inside of the truck.

The truck can determine if the FOB is inside the cab by using interior antennas. If the FOB is not detected inside, the engine will not start. You will get a message saying something like key fob not detected. Hidding a FOB on the chassis could allow entry into a locked vehicle.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck can determine if the FOB is inside the cab by using interior antennas. If the FOB is not detected inside, the engine will not start. You will get a message saying something like key fob not detected. Hidding a FOB on the chassis could allow entry into a locked vehicle.
And if they found the hidden keyfob...?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFAIK you can use the fob even with a dead battery to start the truck, you just have to push the start button with the fob itself. Which means you need to know where the fob is in the truck, so its an OK way of leaving the truck for someone else to pick up.

Good call about removing the battery from the fob, otherwise someone could just touch the front door handle it presumably enter the truck (since the truck sees the fob within range)

MRImike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New owner of a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport here. Why would I get the "FOB has left the vehicle" warning every time any of the doors open while the truck is running. My kids seem to always forget something in the house and have to run back in, setting off the alarm. It stops once I put it in ear and start driving but not until then.