Key Problem and Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
  1. Hey guys I lost my original key fob for my 2012 dodge ram 1500 so now I am using the backup key but it's really annoying because sometimes it would make a false contact and it doesn't wanna start. I saw that they have replacements on Amazon but if I buy those where can I get it programmed for cheaper than the dealership? Anybody have experience with this please let me know. Thanks for all the help.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to a local locksmith, most of them can now supply/program the key fobs for you for at least half the price of the dealership.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Look at https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/
They have brand new OEM remotes, they are the exact same Fob that you would find at dealerships

They sometimes also have reconditioned remotes

When the Fob comes in the mail, call around for locksmiths, many of them have the programming tool.
I found that in my area, most of the locksmiths wanted $90 for just programming. I found 1 that has a 4 star rating, they only charge $45
Many of the locksmiths also sell Fobs at a reasonable price, like Ace Hardware, they also do programming.
I called Ace Hardware out here in Southern California, the store said that they were not doing programming at this time due to Covid, but yours may still be doing it

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Look at https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/
They have brand new OEM remotes, they are the exact same Fob that you would find at dealerships

They sometimes also have reconditioned remotes

When the Fob comes in the mail, call around for locksmiths, many of them have the programming tool.
I found that in my area, most of the locksmiths wanted $90 for just programming. I found 1 that has a 4 star rating, they only charge $45
Many of the locksmiths also sell Fobs at a reasonable price, like Ace Hardware, they also do programming.
I called Ace Hardware out here in Southern California, the store said that they were not doing programming at this time due to Covid, but yours may still be doing it
Thanks man I will look into it !!! I'm not sure if my truck supports the remote engine start though hopefully it does !