Knob dial vs shift on console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kazzi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any talk of bringing back the console shift (automatic) vs the dial. I have a 2013 and test drove a newer Dodge Ram and HATE the knob dial. I will purchase a different brand of truck if the dial stays, sadly everything changes for the better supposedly, but this is not a plus for me!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No. I don't care for the dial shifter and still reach for the invisible column shifter sometimes when backing up due to force of habit, but the overall package of the truck is worth the modest inconvenience. If I didn't switch between 3 vehicles, a column shifter, a manual, and a dial shift I'd probably be more used to it by now.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was convinced that I would hate the dial shifter and to be honest, I've grown to really appreciate the compact size and convenience of operation.

I'd prefer a standard transmission but for the automatic, I now prefer the dial. If you're paranoid about getting confused with the radio dial, use the radio volume control on the back of the steering wheel.

You will adapt if all of us old farts did it without difficulty. :cool:

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I’ve been driving for nearly 60 odd years - many, many different types of vehicles. Been flying different types of aircraft of one sort or another for almost that same number of years. I’m use to the differences in instrument panel and cockpit arrangements. However, in all that time, the strangest and most unnatural items I’ve encountered is the dial shifter on my 2020 RAM. It just don’t seem right…….I’ve had this GREAT truck for a year now, so I’m getting use to it but still find myself reaching for an imaginary gear shifter handle from time to time……..

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could just get a 2500 and the shifter is on the column, well at least for now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You could just get a 2500 and the shifter is on the column, well at least for now.
Nope, my 2021 2500 is the dial. I really don't like the dial either but it isn't a make or break issue in my books. Our 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7 has the 8 Speed transmission too and it still has the normal shifter on the floor, as well as paddles on the steering wheel. There is no reason the trucks have to be a dial shift.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With todays electronic transmissions, it's not like there is a linkage that moves a valve inside the transmission. It's really just a switch. The knob is a switch too, just smaller.

Take a walk around a few new car lots. Lots of pushbutton and dial controls for transmissions, not may column shifts, or console levers left.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Between all three vehicles, I have currently the dial shifter, doesn’t bother me. Have a GM with a column shift, RAV4 with the console shift, and my truck with the dial, and I have no issues. My wife’s old truck was a 97 ram with column shift. My VW was a manual floor shift. My old transit van was a console shift. My buddy’s new Cadillac has buttons to shift with paddles on the steering wheel

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At first, I despised the dial. But only because it was different and I am after all, a grumpy old man. but I got used to it and actually appreciate the extra room on the console. However, I still have to look at the knob to make sure that I;
A) grab the right knob and
B) hit the right gear.

The only shifter option I never got used to was the piano key buttons on my Lincoln. Hit the wrong button multiple times. Never got used to it.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my old ram had the column shift and the rotary dial for 4wd.the new p/w has a rotary gear selector and floor shifter for 4wd.honestly,i have no preference,i got used to both.i do like the old school floor shifter for 4wd though.