Labor charge $115 to change fuel filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi everyone, just had my fuel filters changed on my 6.7 for the first time when I had my oil changed. Dealer charged $115 in labor to replace the filters. Is this high? Spot on? Average?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hi everyone, just had my fuel filters changed on my 6.7 for the first time when I had my oil changed. Dealer charged $115 in labor to replace the filters. Is this high? Spot on? Average?
It should be the book time x shop rate, whether that's how long it took or not is irrelevant. You should ask what the book rate is for the filter change.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sounds like the standard 1 hour minimum rate charge. I think doing it myself without all the fancy tools and lift I can get both done in about 30-45 min. If you're gonna have someone else do it, just check their hourly pricing or minimum charges. The hourly rate here is $134.95 (pretty sure) with a minimum of 1 hour charge even if the truck goes in for just 10 min to have a sales code flashed in.

Just ordered my filters yesterday for $78 so I'll be doing them myself to save the coin.

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it makes you feel any better.. and completely unrelated.

I have a 2016 Yamaha R6, when I take it to the shop for an oil change, they charge me for 2 hours of labor, and the oil ( i stopped after the first time ) .

Anyways, first oil change i did at the shop happened to be about 280 bucks lol.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if it makes you feel any better.. And completely unrelated.

I have a 2016 yamaha r6, when i take it to the shop for an oil change, they charge me for 2 hours of labor, and the oil ( i stopped after the first time ) .

Anyways, first oil change i did at the shop happened to be about 280 bucks lol.

"yikes"

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Man, that is a early filter change on a 2016? Dealer pricing, I would find a shop for most small things, I use a guy who is in business plus 25 years. But the nice thing for you is if anything goes wrong you know you can go after the dealer, big pocket there.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
just took my wires car in for 2 headlights and 4 spark plug (tune up) and the bill was 505.00, the headlights ran about 320.00 of the total. Yikers but I prefer taking my vehicles to the dealer ala paper trail.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Book time is .9 hours, so depending on their shop rate sounds about rite. There not hard to change, but doing the one above the rear drive shaft would kinda suck if you dont have a hoist.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That isn't too bad actually. Thought they'd get more for that.

I got the correct size socket for the fuel filter cap under the hood. I also got some vinyl hose to attach to the drain spout on the rear one. It makes draining the filter so much easier. Doesn't drip and splash all over the drive shaft.

That same size hose will fit in the factory drain hose up front, slides right in the factory hose... and to a catch can... doesn't splash all over the front diff..

Takes me 45 minutes - but not racing. Just taking my time. Just did mine for the 2nd time 2 days ago.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How often is the filter supposed to be changed? Is it by mileage or years....

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Chgr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
I was told 15,000 miles to change the fuel filters or when the on board comp says to. Also to change both filters at the same time, at least on my 2018 3500. I believe both filters are the same part number.

thats getting off cheap, I just got a quote from the local Chrysler dealer for oil change & filter, plus both fuel filters $400.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My local dealer wanted $153 which included tax to change both filters on my 2017 6.7 Laramie...plus the cost of filters. I purchased the two Mopar filters for $71 total on Amazon and it took me 30 minutes to change them. It is a very easy job if you have the tools and the time. I started changing my own Cummins fuel filters started back in 2001 and have yet to pay someone to do it. I was short on time two weeks ago and decided to get a quote from the dealer. I decided that I could do it myself as I wasn’t that busy.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I was told 15,000 miles to change the fuel filters or when the on board comp says to. Also to change both filters at the same time, at least on my 2018 3500. I believe both filters are the same part number.

thats getting off cheap, I just got a quote from the local Chrysler dealer for oil change & filter, plus both fuel filters $400.

The two fuel filters are different part numbers and styles. One is can water separator style under the bed near the tank and the other fuel filter is a cartridge filter in a housing inside the engine bay.

Sounds like at $400, they are charging full retail for the filters and oil change plus full book time. My local dealer quoted me a similar pricing. You can do everything yourself and be under $150 in parts and fluids if you shop around.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to buy my filters from either the Cummins dealer or through Geno's Garage. Both were way cheaper than the dealer. Same filter, different box.
Jay

drdarrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I made the mistake of having the dealer in Pocatello ID change mine this last summer. $85 labor and the gorilla put the cap on so tight I had a hell of a time getting it off for the next change. Never again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an in-tank sock that clogs up...Wait until you price THAT one.

And that’s why you run quality Fuel, my2010 F150 work truck with over 130k miles hasn’t had a gas cap since day 1, and has been in every weather climate known to man, I can promise you water has made it into the tank along with sand. The truck has seen more blizzards than I can count, countless sand storms and 1 full blown “ Haboob” gas fuel systems aren’t as sensitive as diesel fuel systems, at least that’s my take, but I would like to caution the OP-

If you notice escesive water amounts in the water separator, switch fueling stations.. cause that’s no bueno.