Leaking back glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sicarius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Just a heads up to the Forum,
I own a 2017 PW and after some heavy rain recently, I noticed a very large amount of water under the rear passenger side seat. I took the truck into the dealership and initially they told me that the leak was coming from the rear third brake light. The counter jockey then proceeded to inform me that my third brake light was after market, even though it is not, and has never been changed. It is part of the convenience group which adds LED and a bed facing camera. I explained this to him and he seemed to be satisfied with my response. Several days later I received a text from the dealership stating that the third brake light was indeed an aftermarket accessory, even though it is stamped Mopar lol. Long story short, I raised a stink and upon further inspection, it was determined that A. The counter jockey (who stated that he had worked for Ram/Dodge for 25 years can’t see a Mopar part right in front of his face) was wrong and the light is indeed stock and B. the leak was from the sliding back glass. The dealership is in the process of replacing the entire back window including the sliding glass assembly under warranty. If you encounter this, and they immediately say the problem is the third brake light be aware that although this sometimes happens, it may also be the back window itself.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this and I hope you never encounter this issue. But if you do......fore armed is fore warned.

God Bless

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of these dealers really have some idiots working in the service department

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The felt seal on my rear slider is tweaked inwards in a few areas, like it folds backs when opening the window, but doesn't go back to normal when closing window. I brought this up with dealer at my last service just before the truck hit its 36k bumper-to-bumper. Although it didn't leak at the time, I expressed concern that it will when our monsoon season starts here. They also told me any leak would likely come from the third brake light, and that they would have to get authorization from Fiat to replace the rear window as a whole. They said they'd get back with me about approval. That was over a month ago, and now I'm past my 36k miles. At least it's on record at the dealer that it was brought up.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Another spot that can leak is the roof seam. I pulled my hair out trying to find a leak in mine and found that the passenger side seam was leaking. All I could find was where it looked like the paint was slightly cracked along the seam. It was enough to let water in and run down the back of the cab to the floor. Sealed it up and has never leaked again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB1

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My neighbor just went through this. The backend of his truck was super wet.

He requested that they replace the carpet, pad, seat back or seat cover and foam. They initially denied his request so after discussing it with the service manager and the general manager, he escalated it to the regional Ram Customer Service office. After some discussion back and forth between them and the dealer, plus an on-site inspection of the truck after an air handler had been deployed for 3 days, resulted in his request being granted. FCA covered all the cost.

So don't forget to inspect the vehicle carefully and play the "mold can kill me or my family" trump card if the the repairs are not complete and they balk at doing anything besides the seals.

Justin Halbert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Do u have a sunroof? If so, are you parked on an incline facing upward? I had a problem with the drains in the tray for the sunroof getting clogged, and overflowing into the headliner which is plastic and running out at the lowest corner. Mine was coming out of the “oh ****” bars. I took an air nozzle with a rubber tip and blew them out. One on each side in the front corners. It will come out at the drain near the inside of the door hinge. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Sicarius

Sicarius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Yes I do have a sunroof but that was not the issue....this time lol. FCA replaced the entire back glass assembly under warranty. The water was coming in through the back sliding glass window apparently.