Leaking K&N oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
beware- first oil change used a K&N and found it loose on next oil change I had already bought another K&N filter so I put it on and saw oil spots on my driveway 1000 miles after the change. So I slid up and the filter was tight but leaking oil wtf, pulled it off and put on a Mobil 1 113a.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also had a leaking K&N oil filter. Mine wasn't pulling up square against mounting flange, bad part was that it didn't leak in the driveway, would only leak when going down the road. That was the last K&N for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
seabrook

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I also had a leaking K&N oil filter. Mine wasn't pulling up square against mounting flange, bad part was that it didn't leak in the driveway, would only leak when going down the road. That was the last K&N for me.

Yep I think mine Wasn’t square either- last one for me too

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The quality of K&N has taken a nose dive. I did like the nut on the end though. I suggest using a synthetic filter, either royal purple or the fram ultra. Both are synthetic with excellent specs.

OP
OP
seabrook

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
The quality of K&N has taken a nose dive. I did like the nut on the end though. I suggest using a synthetic filter, either royal purple or the fram ultra. Both are synthetic with excellent specs.
Ok man thanks I’ll try those next. Is the m1 filter not good (it’s m1 xcare 113A) yea I really liked the nut too, great idea by k&n

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok man thanks I’ll try those next. Is the m1 filter not good (it’s m1 xcare 113A) yea I really liked the nut too, great idea by k&n

Lol. The nut on the end wasnt K&N idea. I remember Hasting filters had the nut back in the early 60s my father used them.

I am not sure if the M1 filter uses a fully synthetic media. The RP filter is most likely the best. I use fram as it is cheaper ndveasily obtained at Walmart. My oci is 6000 miles or six months, so more than up to the job. Most likely more than I need. There is an oil filter thread started by burla you may want check out. There is also a synthetic oil thread with great info, but it is quite long. Feel free to do some reading and jump in with questions. Good group of knowledgeable guys in there.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh wow, been using K&N on my Trans Am for a decade, never had a problem once. Will pay more attention now.... might switch to RP. K&N is just easier to get.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal purple filters are excellent.

Funny story- 1 company makes like 90% of all oil filters, they just make them to the manufactures spec.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
beware- first oil change used a K&N and found it loose on next oil change I had already bought another K&N filter so I put it on and saw oil spots on my driveway 1000 miles after the change. So I slid up and the filter was tight but leaking oil wtf, pulled it off and put on a Mobil 1 113a.

Well, may not be the filter. Search my back posts, my Mopar filters have backed of and leaked 3 times now. Always dealer oil changes and they state there is NO damage to the housing. They can't figure a cause. So just sayin'....it could be a situation similar to mine. Usually starts about 1000-1500 miles after an oil change.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some k&n's are made in Mexico, some in the USA. The one that I had leak was made in Mexico, since then same part number is made in USA. They have also changed their base plate from having a whole lot of inlet holes to 6 inlet holes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next time U do an oil change, look at the spindle and check for thread damage. There have been reports of damage done to threads etc by over tightening of initial filter from factory.....

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, may not be the filter. Search my back posts, my Mopar filters have backed of and leaked 3 times now. Always dealer oil changes and they state there is NO damage to the housing. They can't figure a cause. So just sayin'....it could be a situation similar to mine. Usually starts about 1000-1500 miles after an oil change.
Had the same thing happen to me. I've always liked and used wix filters so I had one installed on the first oil change. I had an oil shop do it because of what I read about the filter being welded on from the factory. Lol. That being said I can't say how tight they installed the wix but after about 2000 miles I went out to the garage one morning to find a large puddle of oil under the passenger side front and thought something catastrophic had happened. Come to find out the filter was loose and leaking. No big deal I suppose but hope it doesn't become a repetitive issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
If you look at how the seal ring is installed on a K&N, it is easy to see why they tend to leak. last one I had you could easily remove the ring from the seat. RP, Amsoil, Fram Ultra are all full synthetic mediums with high particulate ratings and well made.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I've used K&N's on everything I own that has a motor with a filter (car/truck/jetski/boat) and never had a problem. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the nut is ONLY for removal and not to be used for installing it as it can cause the filter to deform.