Leather damage, what can you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
This odd pattern started developing almost out of nowhere last year, leather conditioner does nothing. Ive tried cleaning it with a detergent and water mix, chemical guys interior cleaner, and a couple other brands. When its wet you almost cant tell. But even with chemical guys leather conditioner on it, within a few minutes, it comes back.

You would think its some kind of sun damage. But it doesnt make sense becuase its on the drivers side at the window, but on the passenger side, it looks brand new. But then on the passenger side, its down by the door handle, which makes no sense because I rarely have passengers to put wear on it

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_134558_01.jpg
    IMG_20210519_134558_01.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210519_134349.jpg
    IMG_20210519_134349.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210519_134735_01.jpg
    IMG_20210519_134735_01.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 48

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like the leather is really dry. Do you work in a dirty environment? Construction etc? I only ask because I work roofing and I know how dirty you can get. I personally use Adams, but in this case something like leather honey might be a better option to rehydrate the leather. @CAG CheechDogg might have a better idea as he is a detailer for over 20 years on here.

OP
OP
_TopGear

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
It looks like the leather is really dry. Do you work in a dirty environment? Construction etc? I only ask because I work roofing and I know how dirty you can get. I personally use Adams, but in this case something like leather honey might be a better option to rehydrate the leather. @CAG CheechDogg might have a better idea as he is a detailer for over 20 years on here.
No, for sure dont.

I've been applying the chemical guys leather conditioner on it every day after work this week so far, kind of looks better, but it almost looks like it soaks it up?

I wonder if something ive used before ate the coating off it, and there is a sealant or something I could apply

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used this on my wifes Pacifica for 3 years with no issues.

I am using Adams just conditioner on her new Jeep. To me in the picture it looks dried out.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is another idea what if you took your leather conditioner assuming its a spray and spray it directly really good and let it sit. It wouldn't hurt.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
So leather seats "DO" have a "clearcoat" especially if it is real leather at the top .... what happened there looks like you either scrubbed it away or some chemical that you used stained it ...

I tried many conditioners through the years on leather, from a member here on the forums I started using 303 Aerospace Protectant on leather now .... for damage like that I spray it on and leave it for a few minutes then spread it evenly with a microfiber towel ....

One other thing that "MIGHT" of happened was that you left your window cracked open and rain water stained it ...

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure it’s leather? I believe the doors and other parts are vinyl, synthetic leather.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have heard lots of great things about 303. How shiny is it? I like my truck really shiny on the inside. I have been using CG Hypercoat. It is the closet thing to the old meguires tech protectant.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So just for clarification this is a new Grand Cherokee L's interior. Ours is getting a minor paint flaw fixed, but same set up as your Ram. First picture black is not leather and red is leather. Same with the dash. Looks like leather but its not only in the center area is it leather.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.24.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.24.14 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.24.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.24.54 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Are you sure it’s leather? I believe the doors and other parts are vinyl, synthetic leather.
Regardless of if its leather or not, same thing happens with vinyl and synthetic leather .... those areas were either water or chemically stained ...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about VRP? It did wonders on my black exterior trim. You can use it on your interior as well.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I have heard lots of great things about 303. How shiny is it? I like my truck really shiny on the inside. I have been using CG Hypercoat. It is the closet thing to the old meguires tech protectant.
If you take a look at my instagram page you will see the interiors, all those interiors I use the 303 ... and yes it leaves it shiny and you would think it is wet or greasy, but it dries completely dry

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
So just for clarification this is a new Grand Cherokee L's interior. Ours is getting a minor paint flaw fixed, but same set up as your Ram. First picture black is not leather and red is leather. Same with the dash. Looks like leather but its not only in the center area is it leather.
Use it on everything in the inside Treb ... just don't ever use it on the dashboard for 2 reason, it's going to give you a glare when driving because of the sun and when it is hot anything you use besides water on the dashboards will evaporate and stain the inside of your windshield ...I only clean dashboards with a damp microfiber towel never use any chemicals ...

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regardless of if its leather or not, same thing happens with vinyl and synthetic leather .... those areas were either water or chemically stained ...
Looks like simple wear and tear. How many miles are on the vehicle, what year is it?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you take a look at my instagram page you will see the interiors, all those interiors I use the 303 ... and yes it leaves it shiny and you would think it is wet or greasy, but it dries completely dry
Thats how hyper coat is. Shiny, but dry to the touch. Tech protectant was so greasy lol. I will check out your instagram!

OP
OP
_TopGear

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So leather seats "DO" have a "clearcoat" especially if it is real leather at the top .... what happened there looks like you either scrubbed it away or some chemical that you used stained it ...

I tried many conditioners through the years on leather, from a member here on the forums I started using 303 Aerospace Protectant on leather now .... for damage like that I spray it on and leave it for a few minutes then spread it evenly with a microfiber towel ....

One other thing that "MIGHT" of happened was that you left your window cracked open and rain water stained it ...
Thanks for your help!

Im going to check out your reccomendations.
I have never left the windows down in rain, but i bet it is something ive used and maybe stained it or the heat from the sun caused some kind of reaction maybe.

I will try out the 303 products and check out your Instagram. Should I clean it thoroughly before applying that stuff? Or apply the leather conditioner first?

Also i think i saw they have a cleaning product too. Should I clean it with thiers first or just get the 'protectant'

Last edited:

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
The door panel is faux leather and the armrest is a bonded leather. It looks like your experimentation with various products has damaged both areas and faded or stained it. Try something like Zymoil leather cleaner, a couple of times within an hour or so BEFORE you put any conditioner back on it. Try Zymoil conditioner, put it on heavy and let it absorb. Add 2-3 coats of the conditioner and it shoudl bring it back and hide the flaws. If this is really driving you crazy, there are some shoe polishes which you can match and go over the entire panel with but you might have to do all of them if its not a perfect match.

OP
OP
_TopGear

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just to follow up on this thread, i finally got my hands on the Aerospace protectant. It did not make any difference.

Anyone use any products to bring back the color to thier leather? It appears i might have to get creative and Dye it?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Just to follow up on this thread, i finally got my hands on the Aerospace protectant. It did not make any difference.

Anyone use any products to bring back the color to thier leather? It appears i might have to get creative and Dye it?
Well that really sucks ...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670