LED Headlight not bright? :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So this is my 2nd set of LED headlights. I originally had regular halogens in but I did not like the brightness or yellow color. I upgraded to 8000L Auxbeam LEDs. They were nowhere close to the brightness of the regular halogens, so i bought a 12000L headlight and they are brighter, but the whole beam is just messed up. I dint know how to solve this..... For some reason the camera makes it brighter. In real life they are a whole lot darker and it makes it really hard to drive..... Any idea how to fix this??? Btw I have 50w (I think) resistors installed too3b274531e960ebb7ffa7ada21c5743f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
With all the money you spent its time for a retrofit. 4300k HID morimoto projectors will give you the brightest most useable light per wattage. Only very slight yellow to an otherwise white color.

Or you can get 5000k for pure white, or 6000k for slightly blueish white light to the same degree the 4300k are yellowish white.

Good luck.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've thought about going with LEDs as well... Stinks they're not that bright. I had Trucklites on my Jeep and they were bright as fudge...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had some leds in my truck but they scattered to much and fog... well that was a different story altogether. I went back to halogen. Running Sylvania zxe and I like them quite a bit.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately, the standard reflector is not optimized for an LED bulb and that is the main reason you are seeing issues. Go back to a standard halogen bulb like crazykid1994 is using and you will be good again. Or do the projector retrofit like chrisp2493 has. If you don't want to do the retrofit yourself, there has been good feedback from several forum members on these headlights off ebay which is the route that I plan on taking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-Ram-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

OP
OP
cliftonclendenen

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Unfortunately, the standard reflector is not optimized for an LED bulb and that is the main reason you are seeing issues. Go back to a standard halogen bulb like crazykid1994 is using and you will be good again. Or do the projector retrofit like chrisp2493 has. If you don't want to do the retrofit yourself, there has been good feedback from several forum members on these headlights off ebay which is the route that I plan on taking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-Ram-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I cant buy those cause I have an 06 lol. But I do have a pair of old light that I may try to retrofit some projectors. If not I’ll do HID or Halogen.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
JJ at Retroshop. Stop throwing your money away on those LED. They just won’t give you what you want.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I cant buy those cause I have an 06 lol. But I do have a pair of old light that I may try to retrofit some projectors. If not I’ll do HID or Halogen.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention and missed the 06 part.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

I hope you don’t mean HID in your reflector housing. That is stupid bright, and blinds people on the road (even in daylight, had that happen to me a few days ago). A morimoto retro fit is about $300, that would cover bulbs, ballasts, resistors, canbus harness, projectors, everything you need. If you look on The Retrofit Source, use code TRS10 for 10% off [emoji1303]
Retrofitting is actually pretty easy, especially if you already have the talent to weld up your own custom bumper. You’ll love the light output, you’ll never want to go back to regular lights again

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just installed fluxbeam X’s into my factory projectors and I like them, brighter than the halogens for sure. I had HIDs on my last truck with morimoto projectors and they are a million times brighter I just didn’t want to deal with screwing resistors into my frame and holes in my dust caps. Also idk if it’s just me but I think the cutoff step on projectors looks stupid. I don’t know why I know mostly everyone likes the clear look of the cutoff but I just hate that look it’s too ricey for me I prefer the flat cutoff look that most OEM projectors display.