LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scar71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering if anyone has put LED bulbs in a 2011 1500 without using anti flickering device. I read somewhere that you can use the Farhen brand and it worked, but can’t find it again. Please advise

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can be done with software. Just look up the AlphaOBD thread.

1400+ pages of information..

Last edited:

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No need for Alfaobd. Fahrens are plug and play, very bright, well focused, and affordable. Just make sure to clock and aim them correctly for the best experience without blinding others.

matlocc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
I second fahrens! Worst part is getting the headlights out. (2018, 1500.)

kroppshop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need for Alfaobd. Fahrens are plug and play, very bright, well focused, and affordable. Just make sure to clock and aim them correctly for the best experience without blinding others.
What to do with driver which comes with the Fahrens LED bulb. These things are getting hot and I am very reluctant to put them inside the light housing and put the "lid" on. They should be on a "cool" spot.

Not sure how hot they get.......

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 and have the Fahrens in my lows, highs, and fogs. They have been great for visibility. I had another (more expensive) brand prior to these and they were worse. I've been really happy with them. Bonus is they have a nice cutoff line and I haven't had any issues with blinding oncoming traffic.

I haven't had any issues with the drivers for them. I shoved them into the housing and put the caps on. They've been on the truck for 1.5 yrs or so - no issues with them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an observation ....it seems like every Ram owner who does the LED conversion spends a bunch of money on two or 3 kits only to come back 3 years later describing the problems they've had on their journey, asking for more/better LED solutions. Or am I just reading the wrong posts??

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an observation ....it seems like every Ram owner who does the LED conversion spends a bunch of money on two or 3 kits only to come back 3 years later describing the problems they've had on their journey, asking for more/better LED solutions. Or am I just reading the wrong posts??
You aren't wrong there. I spared no expense on leds and still had some issues. But, my low beams have never given me any issues. High beams and switchbacks did give me some trouble though at about the 3 year mark.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's some truth to that for sure. LED's for headlights are still early in the life cycle in relation to halogens and other headlight uses. It'll be a product that evolves and changes several more times over the years until it gets perfected, and headlight housings get developed to incorporate LED bulbs.

The first set of LED's I used were from OPT7, which does a lot of LED lights for many applications. They got into the headlight realm, and made a decent bulb. Over time, though (probably 3-4 years), I started having issues. They eventually got out of the headlight bulbs and focused on their regular stuff. Once I started getting some flickering in those bulbs, I went with the Fahren bulbs. At the time, they were still very affordable to try out. I think I paid $35-$40 for a set. Once I tried the low beams over a few months, decided I liked them and ended up getting them for my high beams and fogs (had one of them go out). I've been happy with them over the time I've had them.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I went the LED enclosure route, morimoto hybrids (rev 2). Knock on wood, so far the quality is stellar and had no issues with them once I got the tazer dt configured to turn off DRLs.

But momma didn't raise no stupid boy, I kept the original halogen enclosures and placed them in the nicely padded morimoto shipping boxes ... just in case.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I just put Fahren LED's in my highs and lows and no Canbus decoder was required.
Everything works perfectly well.

SlingerDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put Sylvania LEDs in today, well drivers side. I can't get the passenger lens out. After and hour and half I gave up. It was pretty cold out. The 9005 has a cooling heat sink and I cant get the dust cover on. Any ideas.
Thanks Dave

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put Sylvania LEDs in today, well drivers side. I can't get the passenger lens out. After and hour and half I gave up. It was pretty cold out. The 9005 has a cooling heat sink and I cant get the dust cover on. Any ideas.
Thanks Dave
My idea is return them. There is no way to make them fit. If you can’t get the dust cover on the low beams the Sylvania LEDs will never fit in the high beam slot as the dust cover space is even tighter. Highly suggest using Amazon for your LEDs. Farhen, Cougar Motor, Tech Max and Auxbeam all make LEDs that will fit in the High beam housing and work well with no issues in the low beam housings.

Perforator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
I’ve had the Fahren bulbs in my ‘21, both high and low beams, for two years now. Very bright, no flickering, and no other issues. I’d definitely buy them again.
Head and shoulders above the stock halogen bulbs, and not too bad of an install either.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you watched the vids about removing the lights? Make sure you pull the release from inside the fender well. Removing the grill helps but you don't have to, just pull the 4 bolts at the top and it will lean out enough to clear the light bracket. Pull the rear of the housing first, it has a ridge that locks in behind the fender opening.

I did my UndergroundLighting lo beams yesterday. Much brighter/whiter than halogen oems, and beam pattern seems similar. Might order the rest of the bulbs, and go full LED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357