Left brake pad lock-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barrick3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 litre V-8
To start temperature outside was 86 degrees and I was in stop and go traffic. I drove approximately 22 miles and when I arrived at my destination there was smoke and the smell of rubber burning coming out from driver side front wheel well. I was told that my break had locked up but the ABS light never came on and there was no noise whatsoever coming from the front brake. Later on I drove my truck back home approximately 22 miles and my truck was fine I did not have any problem with my brakes and the break was not smoking. Is it possible that that brake pad could have a unlocked itself or should I have it checked out before I drive it any further. It seems to be driving fine with no noises or smoke but I would rather be safe than sorry and I don't want to get taken to the cleaners by someone telling me it's something it's not. Is there anyone out there that can please give me some advice because I know that there has to be a reason for the lock up could have been caliper, bearings other things but I would like some advice. Thanks

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
First how many miles is on your truck? A lot of times the piston inside the caliper gets rust in behind it and the piston sticks .Something people don't know is you can open a bottle of brake fluid and it will draw water inside that bottle also brake fluid will boil .If the cap off the master cylinder the fluid will draw moisture too .But also after you can acumalate moisture even if you have the cap on the master cylinder because of temperature changes .My wild guess is you piston in your caliper stuck and released the problem of bleeding the brake system is you might make that piston to completely stick and not free up.The only thing you can do is a complete flush of the brake lines and new calipers.But if it doesn't do it again I would wait and see.