Leveling Kit Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey All,

Looking to replace tires with 33" or 35" and going to install a leveling kit on my 18 RAM 1500 Tradesman RWD. I'm not very familiar with all this so here goes.

I've been looking forever and was hoping to get some opinions on here of what you all think. Seems like my life would be easier with 4WD, but oh well.

My first thought was to go with this 2 inch leveling kit from RC that comes with leveling coil and struts and then to purchase matching rear struts.

However, I keep reading about Bilstein 5100 being better and its not a drastic price difference. So, would I want to purchase that RC 2 inch leveling coil (minus the RC struts) with these Bilstein front and rear shocks? Would I need anything else in order for this to work? I'm going to have this installed at a shop and want to make sure I bring everything needed so the install and alignment go well.

Oh and if there are better strut options (or a better coil) for not that much more money please let me know! Or if these 5100s are not that much better than the RC N5s.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Last edited:

b8ascrub

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had the Fox 2.0 IFP coil overs installed on my 21 Bighorn. Amazing ride and leveled the truck perfectly. I upgraded to a 35” wheel but the installer did have to tweak the fender wells a little. He did an amazing job and it looks oem.

OP
OP
D

dcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had the Fox 2.0 IFP coil overs installed on my 21 Bighorn. Amazing ride and leveled the truck perfectly. I upgraded to a 35” wheel but the installer did have to tweak the fender wells a little. He did an amazing job and it looks oem.

Yeah I don't think those are available for my truck. They look nice though.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disregard strut recommendation, see next post. :)

The RC rear shocks you linked are for their 6" lift kits by the way. You may be better off with their 0-3" shocks.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2wd does not have front struts so anyone referencing struts up front need to recheck. 2wd is coils and shocks front and rear. Rough country and maxtrak make 2wd lifts.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2wd does not have front struts so anyone referencing struts up front need to recheck. 2wd is coils and shocks front and rear. Rough country and maxtrak make 2wd lifts.
Do you have a photo or diagram of the 2WD front suspension? I didn't realize they were that different, I'm curious to know the differences.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a photo or diagram of the 2WD front suspension? I didn't realize they were that different, I'm curious to know the differences.
I do not but 4th gen is different. If you google pictures you can see. Completely different lower control arms, different upper control arms and spring perch. 5th gen went to the same for 2wd and 4wd

OP
OP
D

dcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yeah, you're correct. I just keep calling them struts, but I know I will need coils and shocks. I'm just trying to figure out if the RC coils with the Bilstein 5100s is the best combo I can get without breaking my bank account. I plan to break my account with wheels and tires lol.

Disregard strut recommendation, see next post. :)

The RC rear shocks you linked are for their 6" lift kits by the way. You may be better off with their 0-3" shocks.
Hah! I didn't even notice I linked the wrong shocks!

So would this be what you're recommending in combination with the Bilstein 5100s?

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I dont think you'd need the Bilsteins, just the coils.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, you're correct. I just keep calling them struts, but I know I will need coils and shocks. I'm just trying to figure out if the RC coils with the Bilstein 5100s is the best combo I can get without breaking my bank account. I plan to break my account with wheels and tires lol.

Hah! I didn't even notice I linked the wrong shocks!

So would this be what you're recommending in combination with the Bilstein 5100s?
Yep......or these https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-leveling-coils-9232c.html?find=2017-ram-1500-2wd-755135

OP
OP
D

dcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont think you'd need the Bilsteins, just the coils.
I just wanted to get new Bilsteins while I'm having coils installed, because I hear the ride quality is better than the OEM shocks.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you know if there is a difference in quality between the RC leveling coils versus the Maxtrac?
No honestly I don't .... when I leveled my last truck I just used 2" poly spacers with longer shocks and ride was great!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Do you know if there is a difference in quality between the RC leveling coils versus the Maxtrac?
Ive used 2 Maxtrac kits and our company has used several more, and had GREAT success with them, and Maxtrac is a vendor on here. Id use them over RC personally.