Leveling question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeManRick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a used 2016 2500 4X4 hemi I’m thinking about leveling the truck do I need to do suspension work or should I just get a leveling kit ??? I don’t want to create more suspension issues if I need to spend extra money now to prevent future problems down the road

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have just used the spacer level kits on my last 3 Rams with no problems and no further work was needed.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leveling has become easier since the radius arm trucks, 2014+.

You can level it with just spacers - or what I would recommend replacing the springs with a set of Thuren Springs and their Overland shocks. Yeah, little more than just a metal spacer and shock extenders, but the ride improvement from Thuren and their shocks is worth it.

A trackbar would nice - but I didn't use one on my 2014 had didn't see any noticeable un-centering of the axle. (but if you have the money - well worth it I am sure.)

My buddy did their front and rear on his Mega. HUGE improvement in ride.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with new springs, the spacers tend to make your coils look like this:

3259146C-2EFB-440C-8E0F-BDDFA889B03C.jpeg

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took mine to an off-road place, I don't recall them doing coil spring spacers. I got it raised I think it was 3" in the front 1.5" in the rear. Totally changed the stance of the truck (in a good way). No other work was needed.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can do spacers or new springs, up to you and your budget. If running a spacer I personally wouldn't go over a 2" at most with them.
There are some good spring kits out there as well that are not too expensive, that is what I ended up going with. Bilstein, Carli, Thuren are all good choices. I would also consider a longer track bar just to keep things centered up. You can get adjustable ones or like I did, use a power wagon track bar which is slightly longer then your stock. It's probably good for up to a 2" lift. Over that and you will probably need longer to get it centered better.
As long as you keep the level around 2" you shouldn't have too many issues, it's pretty straight forward. You start getting up around 3"+ then you need to start looking at sway bar end links and maybe control arm drop brackets etc.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can do spacers or new springs, up to you and your budget. If running a spacer I personally wouldn't go over a 2" at most with them.
There are some good spring kits out there as well that are not too expensive, that is what I ended up going with. Bilstein, Carli, Thuren are all good choices. I would also consider a longer track bar just to keep things centered up. You can get adjustable ones or like I did, use a power wagon track bar which is slightly longer then your stock. It's probably good for up to a 2" lift. Over that and you will probably need longer to get it centered better.
As long as you keep the level around 2" you shouldn't have too many issues, it's pretty straight forward. You start getting up around 3"+ then you need to start looking at sway bar end links and maybe control arm drop brackets etc.

Yes these factory UCAs are junk! The ball joints WILL push out of them if you go too much lift on the front. I put 3” on mine and within a few hundred miles my ball joints were pushing out. Spend the 100 bucks and at least buy mevotechs. If budget allows go zone or other more expensive brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes these factory UCAs are junk! The ball joints WILL push out of them if you go too much lift on the front. I put 3” on mine and within a few hundred miles my ball joints were pushing out. Spend the 100 bucks and at least buy mevotechs. If budget allows go zone or other more expensive brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is lifting a 2500 so a little different :)

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had the Bilsetin Leveling Kit installed on my 2500 and added a Thuren Adjustable Trackbar from Dude's Diesel Performance. I believe the ride is so much better now. In fact, the guy that installed it (local company) has the spacers on his 3500 and doesn't like them and is going to install the same leveling kit on his.

View media item 25906

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did the Bilstein on my Mega as well. It's 2.3" on the diesel vs 2" on the gas truck.....

0418181450_HDR.jpg

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, we have good taste. What size tires are you running? I've got 285/70-18 Nitto Exo grapplers right now but want to go a little bigger when they wear out.

35x12.5x20 fits perfect. No rubbing. Looks perfect.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
35x12.5x20 fits perfect. No rubbing. Looks perfect.

Looks great. In hind sight I kind of wish I went with 20's but wasn't sure I wanted to go up to 35's initially. Those are a perfect match for 20 inch wheels. Anything smaller then 35's just didn't look right to me.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
17" have more sidewall.. And softer ride.

I probably could have 37" tires but.. $$

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
17" have more sidewall.. And softer ride.

I probably could have 37" tires but.. $$

Yeah, it's a balancing act. My 2500 cummins is a daily driver, farm truck, tow vehicle so I need to keep some stability and 17's with a lot of side wall wouldn't work good for my situation.

/

AnonStu

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Even though this discussion is a little old, I wanted to add my 2 cents. The ride with a 2” spacer lift and stock Bilstein branded shocks was horrendous. My coffee would literally splash out of the hole in the lid every morning on the way to work if I didn’t hold it free of the cup holder. I gave up on the spacers and installed the Thuren coils and shocks last night and it was totally different. It actually absorbed variations in the road surface and the coffee cup (Yeti) got to stay in the cup holder. Well worth the money. No more violent shifts laterally or vertically.