Leveling with Bilsteins, or Rancho QuickLift Struts

Bilstein 5100's with factory parts, or Rancho Loaded QuickLifts

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jshak07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this sort of thread is on here 100 times, but so many posts, answers and opinions its hard for me to differentiate between them alot so figured Id start fresh here.

Just joined the RAMILY and picked up a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab with the 5.7 recently, and Im wanting to get it leveled out. Started out ready to go with a ProComp Nitro Kit, but after spending a day browsing this site, I determined that wasnt what I was looking for and that replacing the struts was a better option.
I was set on going with the Bilstein 5100's and either setting them at 2.1 or 2.8. I noticed most people that go with the Bilsteins and set them at 2.1, run the factory coil spring. Ive found the Bilsteins for around $130 each, and from what I can tell thats pretty much all I need.
Someone recommended to me the Rancho Loaded QuickLift. And it comes with a new coil spring and upper mounting plate. These are $222 each.

I guess my main question here, are the Ranchos worth the extra money? Or am I just as good going with the Bilsteins and keeping the factory springs and mounting plates? Im new to this, and any help and input is much appreciated!

4F3D433F-9676-4A0D-8FFA-47091A43D3ED.jpeg

FF27AE53-0A16-4694-92A2-777EADA399B6.jpeg

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really dont know what the benefit if the ranchos is aside from ease of installation. Im sure the OEM springs are superior, and I would go with Bilsteins all day over any other cheaper shocks.

I have Bils at 2.8, but I also added Rough Country UCAs to correct ball joint angle, and I added airlift airbags in the rear which give me an inch or so of boost in the rear at 15psi.

Ive ran alot of trucks but this setup rides very nice. A pic for rererence, I still have a little rake.

20190714_115352.jpg

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Ranchos and switching the the Bils next week. The Ranchos settled and the rear is still slightly higher.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins will take you to 2.1 or 2.8” lift in the front but you have to disassemble the stock struts and take the springs off, spring retainers etc etc, then assemble them into the 5100 struts and use 5100 clips to attain your desired height.

Ranchos are fixed at 2” and are plug and play. The problem with Rancho is that they have a bad reputation that haunts them around forever so most people will say to go with Bilstein. It seems to be worst in the RAM forums. Check the Jeep forums and you’ll find a much bigger following and I mean huge following. Same around Chevy forums. I have a Chevy Silverado as well so I visit the dark side from time to time.

If you went with Rancho the minute you get a vibration or noise your brain will tell you you have a problem because the forum said they’re bad. If they sagged 1/4” it’ll appear they sagged 1”. Doesn’t help Ranchos are more expensive than Billies hahahahaha.

In any case, I liked the Rancho ride a lot better than Bilstein and it’s exactly the reason why I’ll do Ranchos in my other truck after racking around 60k miles already on those 5100’s.

Ride firmness is adjustable as stock (for me was 3) or softer than stock or firmer than stock if you carry heavy loads. After doing 5100’s In other applications I can tell you Don’t know where the hype comes from, lol but there are way better choices than 5100’s out there for sure.

They’re not bad products though and you won’t go wrong with the Billies, the ride is simple meh and in my honest opinion Ranchos ride better. They won’t give you the highest lift in the RAM application though if your looking for more than 2”.

Good luck.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
$130 is high for Bils too. I got mine on Amazon just a couple months ago for $94 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 on amazon. Also bought someones old struts that did ranchos for 150 so I could assemble the bils ahead of time. Love em. I still have my old struts if you want them to assemble yours.. (if you go that route). Not sure where you are located but Im at 02050 if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I am in the minority but I prefer the stock ride in my old age so with this one I just used a 1.5" small hole spacer and a Zone 1.5" BL that I removed from my last Ram when I installed a PA 3"BL. Looks good with 34" tires and rides great. I have had Bilsteins at a number of settings and Rancho's between the last 4 IFS Rams and like the ride of my present 17 the most . It actually absorbs the bumps in the road vs bouncing the truck . Much more work to get 3" total but I feel its the best ride I have had since the 03 with torsion bars and Bilstein shocks 3" BL with 12.50-35-17s. This combo is also easy on front end components as it only sees 1.5" increase .

Edit 1-16-2020
I swapped the 1.5 spacer for 5100's set at 1.4, $75.00 each ebay new. It rides smoother than the spacer and is 3/8" taller now. I sometimes drive the Red 2014 RCSB that was mine but now my daughter's and noticed that hers rode smoother than my 17 so I gave in an bought the Bilsteins again. I still don't care for billstein 5100's in the rear though on my RCSB's.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I vote neither and go with the Eibach coils and shocks. Will ride and perform better than either of these options. The Bils and Rancho arent bad options but I feel the Eibachs are just a lot better. We can set you up with any of these 3 brands tho.

We are running a sale on Eibach this month. Contact me for more info and pricing.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ranchos are fixed at 2” and are plug and play. The problem with Rancho is that they have a bad reputation that haunts them around forever so most people will say to go with Bilstein. It seems to be worst in the RAM forums. Check the Jeep forums and you’ll find a much bigger following and I mean huge following. Same around Chevy forums. I have a Chevy Silverado as well so I visit the dark side from time to time.

I bought Rancho RS9000XL's for my other 4x4 and not only did one of them have a manufacturing defect which made it impossible to install, customer service told me to pound sand because Amazon isn't an "authorized dealer", I had to call an industry contact to give me some private phone numbers, they got me a replacement shock and then after installing them I hated pretty much everything about how they worked (the "9 position" knobs were more like sloppy guess-and-hope indicators, and they would move up and down on their own while I drove) and didn't like how soft and sloppily they rode. Couldn't get them back off the vehicle fast enough and go back to the old shocks I had on before, thankfully I hadn't thrown those out yet. I re-sold the Ranchos at a loss just to be rid of them.

It's all personal preferences, some people like red sauce and some like green on their enchiladas and there's no right or wrong. But you won't catch me giving Rancho another dime.

Ozzy5950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the Bilstein 5100’s before my 4” lift, loved the look, kept them at the 2.1” setting and enjoyed the look of 275/65R20’s (34.1”)F24358B8-A170-4562-B41C-DF0B563195B5.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought Rancho RS9000XL's for my other 4x4 and not only did one of them have a manufacturing defect which made it impossible to install, customer service told me to pound sand because Amazon isn't an "authorized dealer", I had to call an industry contact to give me some private phone numbers, they got me a replacement shock and then after installing them I hated pretty much everything about how they worked (the "9 position" knobs were more like sloppy guess-and-hope indicators, and they would move up and down on their own while I drove) and didn't like how soft and sloppily they rode. Couldn't get them back off the vehicle fast enough and go back to the old shocks I had on before, thankfully I hadn't thrown those out yet. I re-sold the Ranchos at a loss just to be rid of them.

It's all personal preferences, some people like red sauce and some like green on their enchiladas and there's no right or wrong. But you won't catch me giving Rancho another dime.

I haven’t have a single issue with them and I’ll be buying them for a 2nd time. The 1st set is my garage as a backup set for when I need to rebuild my Kings. 2nd set will go into my Silverado. Notice the use of MY here. I’m sure you can pick up the clue....

I’m not sure why do I have to give a damn about your experience with one shock and the enchiladas in either case.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know how Rancho stays in business with the low quality products that they make. Stay away from Rancho! I’ve used them on multiple vehicles, including a Jeep, and have been greatly disappointed with the product every time. Now I avoid their products like the plague. Don’t waste your money on Rancho.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP I think I’ll tell you to do Bilstein or Eibach as Nick suggested. If something goes wrong with those you can always blame Eibach spring or the stock ucas. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this sort of thread is on here 100 times, but so many posts, answers and opinions its hard for me to differentiate between them alot so figured Id start fresh here.

Just joined the RAMILY and picked up a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab with the 5.7 recently, and Im wanting to get it leveled out. Started out ready to go with a ProComp Nitro Kit, but after spending a day browsing this site, I determined that wasnt what I was looking for and that replacing the struts was a better option.
I was set on going with the Bilstein 5100's and either setting them at 2.1 or 2.8. I noticed most people that go with the Bilsteins and set them at 2.1, run the factory coil spring. Ive found the Bilsteins for around $130 each, and from what I can tell thats pretty much all I need.
Someone recommended to me the Rancho Loaded QuickLift. And it comes with a new coil spring and upper mounting plate. These are $222 each.

I guess my main question here, are the Ranchos worth the extra money? Or am I just as good going with the Bilsteins and keeping the factory springs and mounting plates? Im new to this, and any help and input is much appreciated!

View attachment 183672

View attachment 183673

Elka suspension is now gettin into the truck world..Look into their options as well before you finalize your decision..
I know they make killer rear suspension for my bike and they carried that over to 4 wheelers and side by sides..Losts of possible adjustability..

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Bilsteins along with my 4” lift and I love them. Front rides better than stock even with a lift. Mine are set a 2.1”. 2c073154b85fef18daffd328daa04465.jpg

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Bilsteins along with my 4” lift and I love them. Front rides better than stock even with a lift. Mine are set a 2.1”. 2c073154b85fef18daffd328daa04465.jpg
What color paint is that.... looks awesome!

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What color paint is that.... looks awesome!

Mineral Grey. In love with this color, the only one I like more is that “destroyer grey” the charger’s come in.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mineral Grey. In love with this color, the only one I like more is that “destroyer grey” the charger’s come in.
Destroyer is cool but its flat. Yours looks amazing man.

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Destroyer is cool but its flat. Yours looks amazing man.

Thank you I really appreciate that. It’s an early 4th gen that was barely driven so when I got it I started changing things quick haha.

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 5100s at 2.8" and think they are great. But the Bilstein B8 6112 seems the best of both worlds between the Ranchos and the 5100s although at a premium of $630 for the pair....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn