Lift Kit Tire Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Afternoon gentleman. We are planning on doing a lot of traveling out west in the near future with our camper for extended periods of time. Went down quite a few trails while we were in CO and UT last year. I am wanting to take even more mountain trails next time. Maybe some of the easier mountain passes. I am looking for some more ground clearance for this. Right now I am running the stock 275/60/20's. In your opinions, would any amount of lift make the tires look too small? My wife said, if you want to lift it then lift it, when i mentioned tires though she wasn't much on board with that. Due to my tires being pretty new. Thanks

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A small lift like 2" won't give you any problems with the stock tires and will still improve your approach angle and rocker panel clearance significantly. If somebody else gives you their opinion about the tire size they're welcome to buy you a new set in whatever size satisfies them.

I get told my tires are "too small" from time to time by people who don't buy tires or gas for me and I give their comments exactly as much consideration as they deserve.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply. Would that be considered a leveling kit? I've seen the spacer kits. I believe they were 2.5" in the front and 1" in the rear.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock tires are a pos for offroading. They’ll get a flat if you show them a picture with a rock in it. Highway tires and offroad often don’t mix well. Some people seem allergic to bigger tires some other are allergic to stock size. I’ll recommend you to look at other trucks with the size lift you want and check their tire sizes. Get what you want and like the most. You can fit anything from stock size to a 35 tire with just a level lift.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock tires are a pos for offroading. They’ll get a flat if you show them a picture with a rock in it. Highway tires and offroad often don’t mix well. Some people seem allergic to bigger tires some other are allergic to stock size. I’ll recommend you to look at other trucks with the size lift you want and check their tire sizes. Get what you want and like the most. You can fit anything from stock size to a 35 tire with just a level lift.
I have Wildpeak AT3W tires which I really like, in the stock size.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply. Would that be considered a leveling kit? I've seen the spacer kits. I believe they were 2.5" in the front and 1" in the rear.

You're not going to want to use a spacer in front if you have a 4wd. Lift struts are the way to go, they change your ride height without allowing the suspension to go meaningfully past the OEM limits.

The most common lift struts are Bilstein 5100s which most people like, but there are also excellent lift struts from several other manufacturers like Eibach and Rancho and ProComp

It's OK to use a spacer in the rear, or alternately lift springs which are a little pricier but some people consider them a better result.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock wheels with decent tires could sell for 1,000. Then a new pair of 17" wheels with decent backspacing could be 800. So, that's 200 dollars towards a pair of tires? A decent pair of taller tires can be between 600-800 dollars in 17's.

So you're really only spending 400-600 after you sell the old wheels?

Just trying to give you some ammo lol

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much of a lift do you want and how much do you want to spend. 1500 IFS has some limitation’s because of the axle shafts, but you need to decide on how your pocket is. They make spacer kits for leveling/lift right up to 6” inch kit’s with new front crossmembers a arms shocks springs etc...A 2 1/2 -1” leveling/lift kit and larger tires would give you about 4 1/2” - 5” inches total lift depending on tire size. It’s all about the money but you should be able to do everything under 2k, lift tires and rims and get what you’re looking for in just a small lift.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much of a lift do you want and how much do you want to spend. 1500 IFS has some limitation’s because of the axle shafts, but you need to decide on how your pocket is. They make spacer kits for leveling/lift right up to 6” inch kit’s with new front crossmembers a arms shocks springs etc...A 2 1/2 -1” leveling/lift kit and larger tires would give you about 4 1/2” - 5” inches total lift depending on tire size. It’s all about the money but you should be able to do everything under 2k, lift tires and rims and get what you’re looking for in just a small lift.
I am only wanting a couple of inches. Didnt really want to have to deal with getting new tires. Mine are practically new. Just would like a little more clearance.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll do Rancho QL struts. Fixed 2”, no need to change UCA’s. Plug and play. Keep your factory unmolested struts in the garage so later on if you sell the truck you get max money back if you trade it bone stock.

Bilsteins 5100’s set at 2” are also a good option preferred by the forum. you have to disassemble the factory struts and move the top parts to the 5100’s. Pay attention how you or the installer mount the washer at the top. Common gotcha for a lot of people when installing 5100’s and one that causes a lot of pain.

You can keep your current AT3w at 2” no problem.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have all the tools to swap the springs. The bilsteins are looking real good to me so far. To use 5100's on the rear, does the rear need a lift as well? Thanks
I’ll do Rancho QL struts. Fixed 2”, no need to change UCA’s. Plug and play. Keep your factory unmolested struts in the garage so later on if you sell the truck you get max money back if you trade it bone stock.

Bilsteins 5100’s set at 2” are also a good option preferred by the forum. you have to disassemble the factory struts and move the top parts to the 5100’s. Pay attention how you or the installer mount the washer at the top. Common gotcha for a lot of people when installing 5100’s and one that causes a lot of pain.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Pay very close attention to the washer like mentioned here... I read about the washer before I installed 5100's right after I bought my 2016. However, still rushed the job and didn't put the washer where it belonged and it gave me all sorts of problems. I had to take it apart and put the washer in the correct spot.... live and learn.

The rough country 2" front struts are a complete strut tower that doesn't require near the rear down as 5100's. Much like the 5100's they're also becoming a popular option on the forums. You have lots of good options here at good prices.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am only wanting a couple of inches. Didnt really want to have to deal with getting new tires. Mine are practically new. Just would like a little more clearance.
Yep, understood and it’s your rig do what’s you want but the factory all season’s suck off-road. They’re a tire made to do everything good and nothing great.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, understood and it’s your rig do what’s you want but the factory all season’s suck off-road. They’re a tire made to do everything good and nothing great.
I dont have factory tires. I have aftermarket, just factory size.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, I was just trying to help you convince the Mrs. on a new set of sneakers, but if you’re happy my friend then that’s what it’s all about.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I might know what you mean. I understand the 20" wheels give me a shorter sidewall which means less sidewall flex. I had thought about 17's in the past, but wasn't sure what would work good on trails but also be ok for towing a 20ft camper.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, I was just trying to help you convince the Mrs. on a new set of sneakers, but if you’re happy my friend then that’s what it’s all about.
Never happy, but i can't overwhelm her. Lol