Lightpod mounting help 2018 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi Ya'll,

Hopefully I'm in the right spot, it's been awhile since I last posted. This past Christmas I received 2 6" light bars from a family member for my truck. I've spent the last month trying to think of a good spot to put them and I'm at a loss. So here I am.

I want to keep my fog lights and tow hooks. Unfortunately there are no plans for a bumper upgrade because I need a new hunting rifle first.

I would like to put them both up front but I haven't tested to see how bright they are. Might only need one.

So, any recommendations on good frontal mounting locations?

Thanks y'all!

P.S. I did some searching to make sure I wasn't posting a duplicate but of course they easiest way to find some thread you're looking for is to post a new one haha.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d say the only 2 places that would make sense to me....

1) in place of the tow hooks
2) swap out grill inserts for the black honeycomb style and mount them behind the grille (the chrome slats just block too much of the light I’d think)

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’d say the only 2 places that would make sense to me....

1) in place of the tow hooks
2) swap out grill inserts for the black honeycomb style and mount them behind the grille (the chrome slats just block too much of the light I’d think)

Yeah I've thought about swapping out the tow hooks but I really don't want to haha.

That's a good thought about swapping for the honeycomb style. One of my initial thoughts was mounting it behind the grille but I agree that the chrome slats block too much light.

I'll have to look into the possibility of switching for the honeycomb, I think there's too much chrome on the truck right now so two birds, one stone.

Thanks for the input!

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks a lot different than my 2017 bighorn grill. Yours seems to be more open whereas the newer big horn grills are filled in behind with more black plastic than appears yours has.

You don’t have the same grill as he and I.

Maybe he could Dremel some of it out of the way on his? But a honeycomb swap is cheap and easy too.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
It looks like they made it a 'faux' billet grille.
Mine is actually open between each bar, lots of air flow.
Another tip is seal the seams on those bars with clear silicone, even if They look good. They look like the dual spot/flood type. Mine are spot only.

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That looks a lot different than my 2017 bighorn grill. Yours seems to be more open whereas the newer big horn grills are filled in behind with more black plastic than appears yours has.

You don’t have the same grill as he and I.

Maybe he could Dremel some of it out of the way on his? But a honeycomb swap is cheap and easy too.

Yeah definitely a different grill. Hadn't thought about dremeling it, have to look into it.

Edit: Lots of Grilles to choose from. This one looks pretty cool, would just need to check fitment, then I could have DRLs and space to mount the lights AND less chrome which is a plus.

https://www.amazon.com/Grille-2013-...51&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-875301430492

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It looks like they made it a 'faux' billet grille.
Mine is actually open between each bar, lots of air flow.
Another tip is seal the seams on those bars with clear silicone, even if They look good. They look like the dual spot/flood type. Mine are spot only.
The DRLs you posted look good, definitely a different grill though. The one I have has 1/2" holes drilled in the plastic on the back, looks weird I should post a picture of it if I remember.

Thanks for the tip to seal the seams, hadn't heard of that but it definitely makes sense.

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could also use them as aux reverse lights if you’re not for sure set on using them upfront. I had two 3” pods back there and it was great. Made it easy backing with 5% tint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hi Ya'll,

Hopefully I'm in the right spot, it's been awhile since I last posted. This past Christmas I received 2 6" light bars from a family member for my truck. I've spent the last month trying to think of a good spot to put them and I'm at a loss. So here I am.

I want to keep my fog lights and tow hooks. Unfortunately there are no plans for a bumper upgrade because I need a new hunting rifle first.

I would like to put them both up front but I haven't tested to see how bright they are. Might only need one.

So, any recommendations on good frontal mounting locations?

Thanks y'all!

P.S. I did some searching to make sure I wasn't posting a duplicate but of course they easiest way to find some thread you're looking for is to post a new one haha.

View attachment 194653

View attachment 194654
Above and below the license plate??

Blue Mule