Transmission Issue 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 3.6L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electrashock95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Okay so as I posted in an introduction post, I just picked up a 2014 ram 1500 3.6L V6 with about 213000km (132000mi) and I seem to be having an issue with it, so I'm hoping someone here has had a similar issue or may know what to do about it. I don't know if this is where this post belongs but I sure hope so because I wasn't sure where to put it as I just joined maybe 10 minutes ago.

The issue that I'm having is the Trans shifts really hard around 1-2/2-3 and its intermittent, sometimes it runs smooth, sometimes its a noticeable change, sometimes it all out slams into/out of gear. I had my codes read by a friend of mine with a OBD-II reader and it quoted U2500 (Controller Area Network Lack Of Acknowledgement From Engine Management) and U1424 (Implausible Engine Torque Signal Received) which I've looked as extensively into as possible and from what I can tell I have either a wiring issue, or an issue with ECM/TCM/PCM or any combination of the above. A couple of days ago I was knocking around with one of the wiring harnesses on the passenger side of the trans and I noticed my engine light went away and the trans seems to be moody less often so I'm really leaning towards that for the U1424 code however I'm not sure if once I get that fixed properly if it will also deal with my U2500 code. I've also stumbled across a recall today that quotes that I need to "Reprogram Powertrain Control Module" and I'm curious if that may also be a contributing factor or the sole cause or possibly unrelated though it sounds like it should be.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Maybe the exact same thing? What would be some recommendations? if anyone knows the connector (passenger side, circular connector with a pry nub on the side and butted right to the trans casing) that I'm talking about, how do i remove it? is it a twist off? is there something else I need to be doing to get it loose to have a look at it? I cant really afford to take it to the dealership and I'm mechanically inclined with basic knowledge of how things should work so if anyone has any ideas what I can try from home before having to take it in, other than recalls because they're free, please let me know, I've been racking my brain and I just can't get it figured.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You can search up 8HP45 issues. The hemis use the 8HP70 and the penstastar V6 Ram 1500s use the 45 version. They share most all the same parts, but have different bellhousings.

You might be on to something with the wiring / connections. Assuming this 2014 has spent it's whole life in the rust-belt, green crusties at wiring connectors can be an issue with any vehicle. Corroded grounds and bad power points can also be an issue.

I'd also take any shoddily installed aftermarket electronics out of the picture too if you have them.

I would also order a new pan for the transmission (filters are built in) and you can use Valvoline Maxlife ATF for replacement fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963