Limited or Laramie?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abern17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L eco diesel
I’m looking at buying a 19+ ram 2500 with the Cummins and I’m debating between the Laramie and the limited. My concern with the Laramie is the leather quality, the steering wheel not having the hard top, and lower quality materials. I have a 14 eco diesel with the Laramie longhorn package but the warranty is about to end and I’m worried about the engine failure that they are know for so I want to get the Cummins for towing my camper. Any insight would be appreciated. How does the Laramie interior hold up vs the limited? Only downside I see to the limited is the 12” touch screen that I don’t exactly love. The trucks in my price range for the limited have about 100k miles on them and are 2019s and the Laramie trucks in my price range have about 60k miles on them for 2019-2020. Is that 40k mile difference a huge deal?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Having owned both, but they were/are 1500 DT's. I can say the interior of the Limited is quite a bit nicer. If you like the wood insert steering wheel, you'll possibly regret not getting the Limited. You can always swap the steering wheel though, like I did in the Laramie I had. The one concern I have at this point with the Limited is the dash. Leather de lamination has been a problem. And once the factory warranty expires you're on your own to repair it. But the main factor for me would be the mileage. I would consider 40k to be a big deal.

OP
OP
A

Abern17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L eco diesel
Having owned both, but they were/are 1500 DT's. I can say the interior of the Limited is quite a bit nicer. If you like the wood insert steering wheel, you'll possibly regret not getting the Limited. You can always swap the steering wheel though, like I did in the Laramie I had. The one concern I have at this point with the Limited is the dash. Leather de lamination has been a problem. And once the factory warranty expires you're on your own to repair it. But the main factor for me would be the mileage. I would consider 40k to be a big deal.
Idk if it’s a huge deal because it is the Cummins. I’m debating on potentially getting a 2018 also but I I do like the 2019 looks a little better.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Idk if it’s a huge deal because it is the Cummins. I’m debating on potentially getting a 2018 also but I I do like the 2019 looks a little better.
Re: your dash delaminating, get the windscreen tinted. I do it to all my trucks and it has saved my bacon. No need for the 80’s fab carpet dash protector although there is something retro I love about that For some odd reason ha. If you live in a state where it’s not legal, shops will do it all the time; just ask. You can get a tint that is not noticed by the naked eye and block all the ugliness that kills dashes; make sure if you do it to go ceramic.

Limited vs. Laramie - I bought a 22’ Laramie with the 12” screen, night ed blah blah and I have the center console Vs. bench seat. Personally, I didn’t need all the accents of the limited, and that for me was about it. I like the steering wheel as is and it feels well constructed for a leather wrap. I loaded my truck with all the gizmos and of course, the CTD was where I started my configuration. The ONLY thing I regret not getting from the factory was the 5th wheel tow prep.

You do you man, get what you want, and don’t look back. Most importantly get The rig that will work for your towing. I took my 2500 on a 4K mile RV trip this summer. Towed a 27” bumper tow trailer and the CTD didn’t even know it was there.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I get that, but it's not just about the engine. 40k more miles on the entire truck for me would make a difference. Maybe not a big deal to you, but you asked for our opinions. 40k mileage difference is worth about $10k on a 2019 Limited (40k miles vs 80k miles).

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I get that, but it's not just about the engine. 40k more miles on the entire truck for me would make a difference. Maybe not a big deal to you, but you asked for our opinions. 40k mileage difference is worth about $10k on a 2019 Limited (40k miles vs 80k miles).
I'd agree, but I'm old school when 100K meant headed to the junk yard. We are decades ahead of that now, but it would still make me go for lower miles.

I just traded an 18 2500 CTD Laramie (43K miles) on a new 22 2500 CTD Limited Longhorn. The 18 was loaded. Mega, rambox, sunroof, air suspension, etc. Pretty much every box checked. And it was a NICE truck. I love all the bells and whistles in my new LL, but I'd have been very happy to stay in the 18. Only reason I made the move was because my 18 was worth $16k more than paid for it 2.5 years ago. Well, that and the wife was pushing me to upgrade. The interior of the 18 was black leather trimmed with the big center console. It was flawless when I traded it. The truck is for sale on Granger Motor's website right now, BTW. I'd sell that truck to my best friend:

I like the 12" screen. It was a big plus for the upgrade with all the customizable features. I'm a techy, so stuff like that holds appeal for me. But I did test drive one with the older (pre-22) uConnect 4 12" screen and didn't like it as much. Not as customizable as the version 5. Still, I liked it better than the 8.4" uConnect in my 18.

Good luck with your decision.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If your only concern with your current truck is warranty, by the Mopar extended one. That is a lot less money than a new truck. If you need to go up in pulling power, then I would go for the lower mileage, to me 100,000 miles versus 60,000 is a BIG difference. With respect to Laramie versus Limited, I ordered a brand new 2021 2500 gas and got the Laramie because I liked them better than the Limited and price was not one of the considerations.

OP
OP
A

Abern17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L eco diesel
If your only concern with your current truck is warranty, by the Mopar extended one. That is a lot less money than a new truck. If you need to go up in pulling power, then I would go for the lower mileage, to me 100,000 miles versus 60,000 is a BIG difference. With respect to Laramie versus Limited, I ordered a brand new 2021 2500 gas and got the Laramie because I liked them better than the Limited and price was not one of the considerations.
Can you get the extended if it’s not a new purchase? My truck struggles a little bit on hills towing my camper that’s about it. But the eco diesel has a bad rep for blowing up so next year is when I want to upgrade to a 2500. I’m not opposed to a 2018 either but it would be almost the same as my truck now just bigger and more power. So I think I want the 19 or newer just for something different.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think the leather interior will depend on your upkeep of it, use real leather conditioner, not plain armor all, do it often, put a sun blocker thing in your front window. I have a 2012 175k miles with all leather, seats, dash, steering wheel, arm rest. The driver seat and console arm rest are getting worn, the rest is still in perfect condition.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I've had my '19 laramie since new and it still looks new inside and out. I park in the garage when at home. everyone has different likes but to me the cost difference was not worth losing some cargo cap and everyone that rides in my truck tells me how nice it is and how well it rides. we use it for trips including towing our travel trailer and snow skiing so any nicer and I would worry about crapping it out too much.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just traded in a loaded a 15 Laramie for a 22 Limited... I thought the Laramie was loaded up... until I tested the Limited... now I'm spoiled... Love the Limited

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Consider a new Bighorn or Tradesman. Hard to understand worrying about the interior when you are buying a truck with 100 k miles. Just a different perspective.