Long bed or Short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have a crew cab dually with 8' bed, my husband daily drives that monster. About 21 feet long bumper to bumper and 8 feet wide. Definitely not good for city driving, but not impossible. Probably overkill for your situation, but then again, if you like it and use it, I say you can never have too much truck.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Well having a dually will probably be the last option although towing cross country this summer will be nice but I will try to stick with the srw long bed, thank you for your comment.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some of us need to have a short truck that has a bit of secure storage
Mine can't be any longer
The city gives out tickets if you block the side walk

My quad cab is almost too long

9fMU0w.jpg

The manager gets upset if the gate is blocked

h9edgW.jpg

img0851pv.jpg

The neighbor tends to get upset if they can not open their vehicles doors

img0857pd.jpg

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Oh, yeah you will need a short bed for sure, but if you had the space will you get a long bed or stay with the short bed?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There was a time, that i had a side business, if you could call it that
I had a 1956 Chevy 3200 which is a 1/2 ton with a 7' 11 1/2" long bed

Friends & friends of friends would get a hold of me to move their Harleys or their property from one location to another.
It was not a cash business, it was more a favor for a favor.

I would help someone move something & in return that person might have a friend who has a machine shop & i might need something like axles welded up & re-drilled from Ford to Chevy, so i could have Chevy Wheels on all 4 corners, i would pay a friends fee for the work.
At that time i also had an 8 X 10 trailer to move my Harley 3 wheeler around.
That trailer was borrowed by my buddies all the time & i was paid in favors & tools.

When i shut down my current business, i will have a truck & it will likely be another Quad cab

Last edited:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
We have a crew cab dually with 8' bed, my husband daily drives that monster. About 21 feet long bumper to bumper and 8 feet wide. Definitely not good for city driving, but not impossible. Probably overkill for your situation, but then again, if you like it and use it, I say you can never have too much truck.
my truck is in the neighborhood of 23’ long. As far as city driving......bigger is better, people move.......at least the people in smart cars!LOL!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I always buy the long bed version. I have been driving them since the mid 70s, I really don't have any problems parking one or driving it around town. When I buy a house I make sure the garage is big snough the truck fits in it. My current CC Laramie 2500 Long bed still fits well in my garage but I do have to power fold the tow mirrors to get it easily into the 9' wide doors.

If you pull a fifth wheel you definitely want the LB. I have seen far too many short boxes with creased cabs.

I want my truck to be able to hold a quad backed into the box with the tailgate up and still have room for a moose and a couple of deer between the front of the quad and the tailgate. I don't use my truck for rugged off road, if the roads get that bad we unload the quad and use that, but even with the full length truck we have gone way back in where most say a big pickup won't go.

If you can drive I don't see any issues with a long box. Now that they all have backup cameras and parking snesors you don't even have to learn to judge distance in your mirrors all that well.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Lol, I went back to the dealer today again to look to see into the red one that they have in the Big Horn trim and when I was there I seen that they have two Laramie coming in next month.

So the salesman is going to wait until they come in and get unloaded and they going to let me know so I can start doing the paperwork on one of them.

The Patriot blue will come in first in the middle of December and the Delmonico Red is coming at the end of December, so one of them is going to be the one I get.

Thank you guys again, for you have help me make a decision.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Lol, I went back to the dealer today again to look to see into the red one that they have in the Big Horn trim and when I was there I seen that they have two Laramie coming in next month.

So the salesman is going to wait until they come in and get unloaded and they going to let me know so I can start doing the paperwork on one of them.

The Patriot blue will come in first in the middle of December and the Delmonico Red is coming at the end of December, so one of them is going to be the one I get.

Thank you guys again, for you have help me make a decision.
I vote red.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well I'm thinking when I'm towing my 5th wheel I would have a smoother ride and I want have to worry about hitting my cab but I don't know if that is a deal breaker yet driving around town in a long bed, time will see.
My trucks the last few years have been crew cabs with 8' bed. We park in the outskirts of parking lots on all our vehicles because we dont like door dings. Remote marked parking works well if taking two spots end to end. Turning radius on these trucks is pretty long so be careful about jumping curbs and stay out of fast food pickup lanes. My biggest complaint is putting the truck on ferries because you are charged by the foot.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I used to park at an angle, taking up 2 spaces, far away from the door to any business.
One day i came out of a grocery to see empty parking spots all around my truck, but there was one a old piece of crap parked at an angle tight against my passenger side.
I had a brand new large dent where their drivers side door had been slammed into the side of my truck.

Well, i was so irritated, that i stayed there for maybe 40 minutes, hoping that who ever parked there, did not catch a bus to go into San Diego.

Then i saw a middle aged woman with 4 or 5 young children walking toward my area, the shopping kart was not even half full & everyone was wearing what looked like thrift store clothing.

At that point i knew the lady would not have any money or insurance.
I left there before she could close her vehicles trunk & open her car door again. believe me, i was still irritated.
Body shop repaired it & had to blend the paint

You would think that parking at a distance from a store entrance, there would nothing but new vehicles parked in that area

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I used to park at an angle, taking up 2 spaces, far away from the door to any business.
One day i came out of a grocery to see empty parking spots all around my truck, but there was one a old piece of crap parked at an angle tight against my passenger side.
I had a brand new large dent where their drivers side door had been slammed into the side of my truck.

Well, i was so irritated, that i stayed there for maybe 40 minutes, hoping that who ever parked there, did not catch a bus to go into San Diego.

Then i saw a middle aged woman with 4 or 5 young children walking toward my area, the shopping kart was not even half full & everyone was wearing what looked like thrift store clothing.

At that point i knew the lady would not have any money or insurance.
I left there before she could close her vehicles trunk & open her car door again. believe me, i was still irritated.
Body shop repaired it & had to blend the paint

You would think that parking at a distance from a store entrance, there would nothing but new vehicles parked in that area
You have got to be kidding, I park way out anyway and when I see this I get upset and you would think that the person that park next to you would know the whole reason why you park way out their it will be almost that they do it intentional.

I should be in a long bed sometime mid next month and the more I think about it the more I am for getting a long bed the one good thing that my wife want me to have the Laramie and I will not disappoint her, lol.

Thank you guys you have been a big help.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I vote red.
I would like to get the red one and my wife would like for me to get it also, but the one thing that I'm getting that when I go to there site it's not there and then I went to the dealer today it was there and when I came home to try to find it it's not there, hmmm, so what's going on but the salesman that I'm working with I will get in contact with him tomorrow to find out which is which because it's not there.

I will keep you guys posted but yeah I want the red one but I don't want to miss out passing up the blue one and the red one is a ghost in there system. I was thinking that I might get the Delmonico Red in a dually but it's a Big Horn and I want the Laramie.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
The dealers are not always good about updating their online system. I ran into that last year. It was at the dealer but I couldn’t bring up any info on it which forced me to talk to the salesman. I didnt buy that truck though because they had a take it or leave it attitude on the price.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
See. I take mine through the McDonald's most every couple days...my sons favorite snack when mom is still at work. Even the inside lame on the double lane ones.

I park at the closest spot to the store...i always back in. Much easier.

If I am in a good mood and feeling frisky...if I see someone parked taking up more than 1 spot. I let the family out and put my passenger door next to their drivers door. My truck gets used and I have young kids, not concerned with door dings. And life is too short not to have fun. (I am kidding i do not do this...but if I happen to see someone doing it that I know...i have... Just to see them get excited.)

I was told it was gonna suck to back my camper into its parking spot at home. I was not concerned as I still have 2 quad cab shortbed trucks to so it. Turns out...the longbed crew does it easier with room to spare.

Will never own a shortbed again...unless I keep this one and get a Powerwagon

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some dealerships will post in the for sale area, that they have a Ram in Transit.
yes it is in Transit, but it is a SOLD Order that someone had factory ordered.
They just want to get you in the door

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You have got to be kidding, I park way out anyway and when I see this I get upset and you would think that the person that park next to you would know the whole reason why you park way out their it will be almost that they do it intentional.

I should be in a long bed sometime mid next month and the more I think about it the more I am for getting a long bed the one good thing that my wife want me to have the Laramie and I will not disappoint her, lol.

Thank you guys you have been a big help.
IMO the people that park their junkers right next to a nice vehicle, in the boonies, do it on purpose to door ding your ride.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
See. I take mine through the McDonald's most every couple days...my sons favorite snack when mom is still at work. Even the inside lame on the double lane ones.

How do you take a long bed CC through a pickup lane without jumping/scraping curbs? Everywhere around here it is impossible.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

How do you take a long bed CC through a pickup lane without jumping/scraping curbs? Everywhere around here it is impossible.
I put the front passenger at the outside and rear driver to the inside. Very little steering correction. Kinda almost go straight once you enter in.

I daily drive my truck. I have a Jeep Cherokee we could drive...but we always take the truck.

I take it through the Sheetz drive thru. U go through the Arby's drive through...this one I do have to back up one time to make the turn. We go through the burger king drive through...it is the 2nd worst. Drive through all the streets here...where people park on both sides.

And I drive through the forest on trails most people would call jeep trails...no issue...well...in the summer the branches scrape...but the buff out.Screenshot_20210614-214746~2.pngScreenshot_20210614-214813~2.png20200301_133211.jpg20200301_132439.jpg20190530_173158.jpg

I never thought to take a pic in the drive thru...but if I remember i will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963