Looking at 1500's-Many questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking for a newer 1500, 17-19 classic, 4x4, crew cab, 6.4 bed and the Hemi. I think I want an SLT, seems you get alot of truck for the money. I also want a 4" lift and am looking for suggestions in this area. I had a 2012 Power Wagon that drove awesome on the road, smooth as a caddy and nice off road too. I would like a lift that comes close to that ride. I don't want to say money is no object, but at this stage of my life I don't mind paying for what I want.

I'm also not against installing it myself, if it's reasonable. I've installed 3 lifts in the last few years. On my 1500 I just put spacers on the front, add a leafs and a blocks in the rear. I didn't take into account that I needed to drop the transfer case and had a pretty good shimmy at take off, until that was fixed.

I put a Rancho 2" sport lift on our 2010 Jeep JKU Rubicon along with geometry brackets and their 9000 series shocks last spring and put new Eibach shocks/struts on the front along with add a leafs in the back of my sons tacoma last fall. I'll consider lifting the truck I eventually buy but if it's too much I'll just get it done.

The trucks I've been looking at all have 3:21 gearing. I'd imagine with 35's thats gonna need to be upgraded, but to what? It will mostly be driven on road.

Our Jeep has 4:10's with 285/75r17's and is at it's limit, but has the crappy 3.8 motor with just a tad over 200 HP. My 1500 had the 360 and 3:55's and was fine with 35's.

Lots of questions, just wanted some honest opinions on gearing, lift, and install.

Thank you for any help

Bob

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get a truck with 3.21's if you're thinking to add big tires to it. It works the same as it would in your Jeep the main difference regaring your Jeep is 3 times cheaper and easier. No easy option to regear a 4th gen RAM 1500 unless you had a 2011 or older truck. if you're not doing this yourself you'll be paying a shop to do it and it'll be expensive.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/regearing-3-92-to-4-56-2014-ram1500-4wd.92619/
his labor was cheap, it might not be that cheap for most especially if the shop needs to thinker where to cut if they never done the job before.

I paid $1k to regear my JKU from 3.21 to 4.56's OTD and it was done in my garage to top it off with G2 gears. No way i'm paying $4k to regear a truck that doesn't even have locker options. This is the biggest complaint i have about our 4th gen 1500 platform. Get a truck with 3.92's from the factory, when mated with the 8 speed trans and the Hemi you'll have plenty to run 35's and it will run decently with 37's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RJL1

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the heads up regarding gearing. That's out of my wheel house. No way will I attempt to re-gear myself. Didn't realize it was much different than the Jeep. I had similar quotes to re-gear it to 4:56-4:88's, about a grand. I was thinking of putting a 3.5 AEV lift on the JKUR with 35 or 37"s, but came to my senses and just put the Rancho on in a weekend in my driveway.