Looking at a left over 22 power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodney Belair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the info off the vehicle and take it to a different dealer to see what they will sell it for. Did that once and had 2 dealers trying to get my business on the same Jeep.

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The most I have ever paid for a new Ram (I’ve had five) is 20 percent off of MSRP and then add taxes back in. Best I ever got was 25 percent off (special ordered 2014 Ram R/T) Until those times return, I’m out of the new truck market and limiting use of my current truck useage to times when I actually need a truck.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Just to get you an idea, I ordered my 2022 and it incidentally also had a MSRP of $78k.
I paid $69k for it.

So for a "leftover 22" I'd strongly look toward $65k or so.
I'd be at 65k or less. If they have had over 90 days, the truck is costing the dealer $$ sitting on the lot.

OP
OP
L

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy them!!!! As long as some idiot is willing to pay the outrageous price my value keeps going up.

I have a loaded 2020 that I paid just under $50k out the door. Funny part is what changed in the 3 years. Added a center console, electronic transfer case, Yhea that’s worth the price increase…. LMAO
Congrats you have a 2020. Doesn’t give you the right to insult people looking for a new truck.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
New Jersey.

Maybe they should ship them west!

In all seriousness, your local market is the only one that counts. I see a few about 150-250 miles for me listed at $8-$10k under MSRP but I don't know if there are hooks in those deals. Must finance here/must have a trade in/etc.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of curiosity, where is this Shangra-La of unsold Power Wagons? You've got more on that lot than I've got in a 500 mile radius!
Same here!

My dealer only has two 5th gens and four 4th gens. Period.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92766 miles.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My dealer only has two 5th gens and four 4th gens. Period.
Lucky you. When I was thinking about getting one and wanted a test drive, there wasn't a single PW for hundreds of miles around. I finally drove one when on a business trip out-of-state, but locally there was not a single one.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy them!!!! As long as some idiot is willing to pay the outrageous price my value keeps going up.

I have a loaded 2020 that I paid just under $50k out the door. Funny part is what changed in the 3 years. Added a center console, electronic transfer case, Yhea that’s worth the price increase…. LMAO
I was lucky enough to get mine at $50000 too in 2020 when covid first hit and dealers were worried about being stuck with them. my dealer had a bunch of 2020 PW and 2020 Tradesman with pw packages in stock and the gm was my neighbor. there were so many unknowns related to covid. a couple months later he would have bought it back at hefty profit. In fact he ended up selling his own truck back to the dealership just so they had inventory. any way that is what happened and why the prices have sky rocketed. there is one other reason but I have been warned I would be kicked off so I will leave it at that.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The most I have ever paid for a new Ram (I’ve had five) is 20 percent off of MSRP and then add taxes back in. Best I ever got was 25 percent off (special ordered 2014 Ram R/T) Until those times return, I’m out of the new truck market and limiting use of my current truck useage to times when I actually need a truck.
unfortunately you will be out of the truck market for a long time :).

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New Jersey.
have you thought about a fly and drive? great way to see a lot of nice country. check Dennis Dillon ram and Dave Smith ram. they both do fly and rides all day long.

OP
OP
L

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well contacted the dealer with my number if $69999. Dealer won’t budge from there last price. I’m still waiting to here back from 2 other dealers. If anything I’ll just wait it out. I’ll let the universe decide lol.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well contacted the dealer with my number if $69999. Dealer won’t budge from there last price. I’m still waiting to here back from 2 other dealers. If anything I’ll just wait it out. I’ll let the universe decide lol.
Don't get me wrong as I'm on your side and hope you get a great deal. The below is not pointed at you directly but rather a lot of people who don't understand how new car pricing works. The dealership can only sell the vehicle so cheap before they either make no profit or start losing money, and no company is going to stay in business if they keep doing either of those. They have to pay Ram for the vehicle and factor in how much it costs them to get it on their lot and sell it. That is the salary of the people working there (including commission of the sales person, receptionist, person doing the financing, business accountants, etc...), the rent/lease/purchase and utilities of the building, insurance, marketing/advertising costs, etc.... For the price the dealership pays for the car, I'm not talking about the "dealer invoice" that they sometimes share as they typically are paying less than that. But still, there is not a huge markup on the vehicles. If a dealership refuses to take an offer it's not because they are just being jerks, they are refusing the offer because it doesn't make financial sense to them.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The dealership can only sell the vehicle so cheap before they either make no profit or start losing money, and no company is going to stay in business if they keep doing either of those.

This is true, but it's also the dealer's problem and not mine. Sometimes in business you take a loss just to make the bleeding stop. If you're an opportunistic bottom feeder and the market is right, you can sometimes get those at a loss deals. Ask house flippers. :D

The bigger issue in my mind is inflation and today's mediocre price is likely better than next year's sweet deal. Maybe the market crashes, maybe deflation sets in and I'm a chump for buying today...but I wouldn't bet on it.

OP
OP
L

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get me wrong as I'm on your side and hope you get a great deal. The below is not pointed at you directly but rather a lot of people who don't understand how new car pricing works. The dealership can only sell the vehicle so cheap before they either make no profit or start losing money, and no company is going to stay in business if they keep doing either of those. They have to pay Ram for the vehicle and factor in how much it costs them to get it on their lot and sell it. That is the salary of the people working there (including commission of the sales person, receptionist, person doing the financing, business accountants, etc...), the rent/lease/purchase and utilities of the building, insurance, marketing/advertising costs, etc.... For the price the dealership pays for the car, I'm not talking about the "dealer invoice" that they sometimes share as they typically are paying less than that. But still, there is not a huge markup on the vehicles. If a dealership refuses to take an offer it's not because they are just being jerks, they are refusing the offer because it doesn't make financial sense to them.
This isn’t a 2023 it a 2022 left over. This truck has been sitting for 6-7 months+ and they have 4 of them the same color etc.. don’t assume people don’t know how the car market works. The invoice on this 78k MSRP is like 68-69 not 74-75 and you are correct they probably paid less so they just want to make 5-6k profit on the truck and I’m sure they will super low ball on my 2017 Laramie with 50k miles so to make a deal that’s what I would pay. Considering the market they can keep it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isn’t a 2023 it a 2022 left over. This truck has been sitting for 6-7 months+ and they have 4 of them the same color etc.. don’t assume people don’t know how the car market works. The invoice on this 78k MSRP is like 68-69 not 74-75 and you are correct they probably paid less so they just want to make 5-6k profit on the truck and I’m sure they will super low ball on my 2017 Laramie with 50k miles so to make a deal that’s what I would pay. Considering the market they can keep it.
Again, I'm on the consumer's side by far on this and hope you get a great deal. Also not saying you are doing anything wrong or suggesting you should pay that much as it's your choice. Are dealerships, specifically the owner, interested in how much money they make...sure! This isn't directed at you by any means either. Just that a lot of people I talk to don't understand all the "behind the scenes" cost. Just because a dealership paid $68k for a truck and sold it for $74k doesn't mean they made a "profit" of $6k.....not like the owner of the dealership is putting $6k in his pocket. For example the CJDR dealerhship I bought my PW at has 12 people in the sales department and 6 "leadership" members as listed on their website. If you estimate just a modest salary range and benefits for all those people that is well over $1 million (and probably a lot more than that) in annual labor costs the dealership has to pay. The $75k MSRP Power Wagon is on the high end of the vehicles so let's say at the same percent mark-up they are averaging $3k per vehicle over their cost. That means they have to sell over 300 vehicles per year just to pay the employees. How about insurance costs? Not sure what a dealership pays but between the buildings and having millions of dollars of new cars sitting on the lot I'm sure the annual insurance costs are really high. Now you have utilities, building and property maintenance, etc...

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
MSRP 78,835
- Gross margin 9,460
-incentive 2000
$67,375 +++

That's where you're at.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"This isn’t a 2023 it a 2022 left over. This truck has been sitting for 6-7 months+ ...The invoice on this 78k MSRP is like 68-69 not 74-75 and you are correct they probably paid less..."
Not if it was on floor plan. When vehicles sit that long the cost can go up.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92855 miles.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat