Looking for a new (to me) truck, 8 speed questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I used to be very active on Dodgetalk but that was over 10 years ago. I had an 04 QC 5.7L 2wd at the time.

Anyway I’ve been through several vehicles since then. I recently got married and we both have kids from a previous marriage, a total of 4 (people call us the Brady bunch). I had a 99 GMC Sierra that I bought for almost nothing so I had been driving it for the last 4 years. My wife had a 2010 Camry. We decided we needed a vehicle that could transport all of us so we bought her a 2015 Toyota Highlander. I sold my GMC, and now I’m driving the Camry. I liked my truck and it was in good shape mechanically and aesthetically but being 20 years old we decided to get rid of it. I don’t mind driving the car too much, having 4 doors is nice when I’m running kids around compared to the 3 door extended cab I had.

That was probably a little too much background info just to say that I am probably going to buy myself another truck here in the next month or two. I am not really brand loyal and to me all of the makes have good and bad things. I have been looking at all of the full-sizes and even Tacomas but have decided I want the full-size. Here are my main questions with the Rams...

Is the quad cab comparable in size to the 3rd gen trucks? I’d probably opt for the crew cab but I’m just curious. I’d only be driving a couple kids around at a time and not for long distances.

Do most of you generally like the 8 speed? I’ve watched several videos and read a lot of things just trying to learn more. How do they shift? I’m pretty particular about auto transmissions. Do these shift pretty quick? I’ve seen some videos of chargers with the paddle shifters and I’m just curious if it’s anything like that.

I’m curious about the 5.7l and how much they have changed since I had my truck but I’ll do my own research on that. Sorry for the noob type questions. I know I really just need to go drive them all. I’m looking to buy something in the 2013-2018 range and around $23-25k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming from a suicide sierra myself you definitely want a cc and the transmission isn't very noticeable to me myself.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
You are going to have to go find a Ram with an 8-speed and drive it. In order to get yourself ready to make a determination, drive one with a 6-speed, too. Then make note of what rear end was in the 8-speed, whether 3.21 or 3.92, and find a truck with the other rear end. Then you'll be able to decide what you prefer for the kind of driving you do. No amount of advice can take the place of that.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the 8 speed in my Quad Cab w/ a V6 and do like it . Getting used to 8 gears is different lol.. As mentioned with Kids I would get a Crew Cab for the room as we know kids grow big fast

OP
OP
J

JFortner5

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine

I know it’s hard to tell from a video I just think those things sound so cool going through the gears and I was wondering.

Yeah the CC would probably be best. I think these trucks looks awesome and I’m leaning towards one right now. I was thinking about another GM truck but I kind of want something different. Another reason is that they’ve had problems with their AFM cylinder deactivation since 2007 and from doing a little research they still haven’t figured it out. I’m torn between RAM and F150, but only with the Coyote 5.0L.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is my second RAM with 8-speed trans. My 2017 V6 trans was great. My 2019 Hemi with different 8-speed is even smoother than my wife’s XT5 with its 8-speed.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The 2019 new body style trucks have a "second generation", if you will, of the 8-speed. Its even slightly better than the ones in our 4th gen Rams.

Personally, I can't get enough of the 8-speed versus the 5/6 speed transmissions I was used to from the older trucks. However, as others said, it is a bit of personal preference. Test drive both. Many 8 speeds will have the 3.21 gears, and many 6 speeds will have the 3.55 gears, so be aware of what gears are in each truck you test.

Have fun! :)

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd 8spd truck and I think its an awesome transmission. Two things to keep in mind are a laggy first shift in the morning when the truck is cold(usually only happens on the first pass through the gears and not again which is typical) and engine braking seems to be more noticeable than it does with other transmissions(which I don't notice anymore) If you're looking at used trucks be watchful of a 1-2 bump (some have complained about this mostly on 2013-2016 models although I didn't have this problem with my previous RAM, a 2015) Biggest thing I notice is if I have to drive my dads's truck(2008 Silverado, 5.3 4spd auto) is how gutless it is compared to my Hemi with 3.92 gears. I have nothing but praise personally.

OP
OP
J

JFortner5

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Tidefan, are you from Alabama by chance?

Thank y’all for the replies.

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I have a '17 Quad cab Ram 1500, V6 with 3:21 gear. I love the truck. It is fun to drive, plenty of power. I don't tow much any more, but it does very good when I do.
I should have gotten the Crew Cab. Crew cab is the way to go. At the time i was looking for a 6.4 bed and all the quad cabs had the bed, didn't look hard enough to fine a 6.4 bed with a crew cab.
I would like 3:42 or 3.55 gear, when I tow, it would be better. The 8 speed is awesome, but like was said the lag on the one/two shift, only when cold. I warm up my truck for 5 minutes first. Trans temp above 90 degrees, no problem.
My truck is an SLT, but have done a huge amount of mods to it. My truck was a rental return and paid $25k out the door.
Do your home work, drive all the trucks you can, of all the models. Should give the choice you want.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think, as you can see, most everyone prefers the 8 speed to the older 5/6 speed. I think it is a better stronger transmission that will last a long time. The Hemi is a great engine and with proper maintenance it should also last a long time. There seems to be a recent problem with a lot of the Hemi's, the manifold bolts tend to break. This is something you need to be aware of and to look for. I think most dealers have been replacing them under warranty. I agree that a test drive is the best way to determine which engine transmission combination you prefer and it is also a way to check out the interior to see if the size fits your needs. Good luck in your search and let us know what your results are.
Jay
Here is a semi- recent thread about the manifold bolts
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/sh...mi-because-if-breaking-manifold-bolts.142741/

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
To me, the ZF 8 spd is one of the best things going for the Ram 1500s. It's one of the least annoying ATs I've ever owned. Precise shifts, shifts at right time and rarely does anything stupid like most do.

OP
OP
J

JFortner5

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
There seems to be a recent problem with a lot of the Hemi's, the manifold bolts tend to break. This is something you need to be aware of and to look for. I think most dealers have been replacing them

Thanks for the heads up. That is a very common issue on the early LS engines as well. My 4.8L had two broken off.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
First it didn’t look like anybody specifically answered one of your question. Yes the quad cab is comparable the the 3rd gen 4 door trucks. Definitely get the crew cab.

I currently have a 2016 with the 5.7 8sp and 3.92 gears. I see that you are referencing a 5.7 charger. Having had a 5.7 charger I can tell you that it is a completely best so anything you see on YouTube about a Charger is not going to help.

Like others have said. Get to a lot and drive one, that will answer your questions the best

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have an 18 quad cab sport 4x4 with a 5.7L hemi and 3.21 gears, coming from both a extended cab Silverado SS with the suicide style rear doors and an 06 Crew cab Silverado my ram has plenty of room in the back for my 11 and 7 year old kids and having the normal style rear doors makes it much easier getting an and out of compared to the suicide style rear doors on my SS. When I purchased my truck I originally wanted a crew cab but with the 6'4" bed, no one near me had one in stock and I wasn't in the position to order one. After driving the Quad Cab with my family in it I realized there was more than enough room in the back for the average size person. I am a shorter guy (5'11"), so I am not sitting with the seat very far back so the passengers in the rear have a little more leg room than they if someone taller were driving. The 8 speed in my opinion is one of the smoother transmission I have owned. Under normal driving conditions it normally shifts around 2500-3000 RPMs but when you lay into it, it will wind all the way almost to redline before shifting. What really sold me on the truck compared to ford or chevy was the quality of the interior finishes where ram used leather or padded vinyl the other two just had molded plastic. Overall I am really happy with the purchase of my ram as it was my first ram I had owned.

OP
OP
J

JFortner5

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
I think I’d be fine with the QC then. I do like the longer bed. I may go tomorrow and try to drive some stuff if they’re open.

My main problem with my Sierra was the suicide door. It was a pain having to walk around every time to let the kids out. It was even worse when dropping them off at school. I’d have to get out and walk around and hold up the line.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think I’d be fine with the QC then. I do like the longer bed. I may go tomorrow and try to drive some stuff if they’re open.

My main problem with my Sierra was the suicide door. It was a pain having to walk around every time to let the kids out. It was even worse when dropping them off at school. I’d have to get out and walk around and hold up the line.

I totally agree with you on the suicide doors back when I had my Silverado SS my first daughter was still in a car carrier and what a pain in the ass it was to get her in and out and swing her between the doors while trying to close them. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Inhocmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Just wanted to comment on the Crew v. Quad in practical terms. I have a 7 year old and we did get into the back of a Quad and it was 'fine' but I could see it becoming a bit cramped in a few years. The Quad just makes so much more sense if you're going to do passengers.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too was looking for a CC longbed but wound up buying my brothers QC longbed simply because there are none available. Some dealers I inquired with told me they didn’t make it because they had never seen one.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really dislike my 8 speed...but it has nothing to do with the internals, I hate the programming. It is programmed to upshift very quickly, I assume for mileage if not smoothness, and is very slow to downshift. Drives like a grandmas chevy.