Looking for advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2016 Big Horn Hemi with 78,000km. I have read more than 1 article saying that the 2016 is the absolute worst year for RAM 1500 pickups. Ranging from Electrical problems, engine problems and transmission problems all starting around 100,000km. I have made my truck very comfortable for myself. Lyell's exhaust, K&N Cold air intake, Air bags in the rear, Ceramic coating.
Right now there are good deals on 2022 Classics and 6th Gen trucks. My question is do I listen to the articles and trade in mine and get a new truck ? or do I keep it and see what happens ?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's a choice only you can make. Are you happy with your 2016? Does your truck have any issues now? I haven't heard that '16 models are any more prone to issues than any other 4th gen model year. Do you have links to any of these articles? 78k km is less than 50k miles. That's low mileage for a 7 year old truck. You've had it long enough to have worked out any of the early issues, and it's likely paid off if you bought it new. If that's the case, then financially it makes sense to keep it. Don't let stuff you read in articles and forums scare you into dumping it. It's very possible that the next truck you buy will have its own issues. New doesn't mean you won't have issues. It only means those issues will not cost you while it's still covered under warranty. If, on the other hand, you don't like your truck anymore, for whatever reason, then you might want to "trade up" to something else.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have a paid off truck that is working great and has given you no trouble. You can fix an awful lot of stuff for 1/3rd the cost of moving up to a 2022. I have owned all kinds of vehicles, more than 100 different vehicles, many rated way down on the reliability scales. NEVER put a transmission, motor, transfer case or anything else major into any of them. Biggest repair I have ever had to do was an intake manifold gasket and quite a few of the vehicles went well past 250,000 miles before I sold them.

Proper maintenance and fixing any small stuff that breaks immediately, keeps vehicles running trouble free for a very long time.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Right now there are good deals on 2022 Classics and 6th Gen trucks. My question is do I listen to the articles and trade in mine and get a new truck ? or do I keep it and see what happens ?
Never listen to articles, they are just someone else's opinion, even if they are in a "reputable" car magazine.

Check your finances, your wants and needs. I know it's easy said and not so easy done, just ask my wife about my habits.
But you need to ask yourself what do you need right now. Don't buy another truck just so you are "in the club" like many do.

I wanted to trade our 1500 for a 2500, but in all reality, I don't need one right now and I'm not willing to pay $70K+ for a family vehicle we use for traveling. Same reason I didn't get a Wagoneer ($78K) and I love the Wagoneer ever since I first saw it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca