Looking to make the jump for Ford to Ram diesel looking for advise!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carl newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ford diesel
So currently have a 2003 Lariat ford F-150 SD Crew with 7.3L engine. with 188K miles Have done some minor updates/grades to get it ready to go full time rv pulling a 30 ft airstream next year. bought it 3 yrs ago and we have been pulling the AS around the east coast NC and Mts with no issues. (knock on wood)

Looking to up grade in about 2 yrs to 2016 or so 2500 ram thinking laramie package? (confused on the ram models.. more familiar with ford XLT, Lariat, and platinum )

have been following the "new" 6.7L ford engines and know they had some growing pains.. was an OTR driver in the 80's and run cummins so somewhat more familiar with the legend of the brand.

any issues that nag the cummins engines now a day.. was reading something about head gasket issues at around 100K or so miles.. ?? what year especially and has that been address??

the transmission i believe the 68RFE now seem to be a durable trans unlike the 4R100 on the 7.3 (no problems thus far, got the larger 6.0 cooler and changing out fluid to Mercon V)

Also like the 2500 HD Silverado with Duramax and allison trans same year. 2016.

looking for advise about the ram brand and durability etc.

thanks for your help to the new guy..

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I have a 2014 with 116,000 miles. Other than the water pumps leaking (never left me stranded and never did more than weep), I had one axle joint replaced under warranty. The only other issue was my DEF injector was partially plugged, working at 30% so it gave me the 200 miles to limp mode warning. That ticked me off because I had just left for Fargo to pickup a tractor and I had to turn around. Waited 24 hours then drove through a blizzard in western Minniesoda there and back.

But after owning 3 brand new 6.0s, it has been a breath of fresh air. And I no longer have to worry about the truck going into limp mode because the DEF injector is partially plugged. Actually, it runs better with the DEF tank empty all the time.

Some minor things that reflashes have taken care of, but still nothing that has kept me from working other than the DEF issue. Have about 22k on a '16 2500 6.4 that has been equally trouble free.

You'll love either the Cummins or Duramax compared to the 7.3. I had 4 of those throughout the years and loved them, but they just don't compare to the 6.7 Cummins.

OP
OP
carl newton

carl newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ford diesel
thanks for the info.. looking forward to getting ,back, intot he cummins world.. was OTR driver in the 80's and drove 290 cummins with 10 speed.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I haven't read about any reoccurring issues with the 2013 and up RAM Cummins. I have a 2015 RAM 3500 with the Cummins and 68RFE, pull around 15K of fifth wheel. Outside of the SRC and water pump recalls, I've been issue free. My Son runs a Duramax and he is equally happy with his. I still have discomfort sitting down from the screw'n Ford warranty gave me.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
thanks for the info.. looking forward to getting ,back, intot he cummins world.. was OTR driver in the 80's and drove 290 cummins with 10 speed.

My first tractor had a 290 w/13 spd overdrive. Actually it was my second one. Got upgraded from a 318 Detroit with 5” straights. Retired last year out of a 2018 Cascadia. Slowest truck and payed the most.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The 6.7 Cummins or the Duramax...Both great units. The new Ford is a *************...6.4 or 6.7 POS. Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, ****** Only Runs Downhill

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
The 6.7 Cummins or the Duramax...Both great units. The new Ford is a *************...6.4 or 6.7 POS. Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, ****** Only Runs Downhill

6.4 was not a Ford engine.

6.7 has been quite reliable, especially when compared to the 6.0 and 6.4.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your happy with your truck now, I would probably stay with it. That is a good engine you have, plus very little if any in smog crap, and no DEF. I'm a Dodge/Ram guy all the way, and the newer engines are great with the exception of Ford in my opinion, but with all the emissions on them, and the use of DEF is just not for me.

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No experience with the 6.7 CTD. To this day even my wife misses our 05 5.9 CTD single cab 4x4 flatbed with 6 spd manual. Many a load from Mississippi to Texas grossing 38K to 40K hauling round bales. Never once had any issues and within 60 miles the CPU would "retrain" itself for the heavy load and if I didn't watch it, would actually gain speed on some of the less steep inclines.

I too drove semi's OTR 1.75 mil miles, always a Cummins, so always felt right at home in the Ram. Whatever you get, do your due diligence with maintenance and hopefully your engine of choice with take as good care of you as you take care of it.

Lee

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
6.4 was not a Ford engine.

6.7 has been quite reliable, especially when compared to the 6.0 and 6.4.

While Ford advertises the current generation of the Powerstroke was designed "in-house" that really isn't the entire truth. Ford contracted an Austrian company, AVL, to design the latest 6.7-liter PowerStroke. The most notable AVL contribution to the design was the engine's V angle, AVL positioned the two sides that allowed for a longer stroke than traditional V engine designs.

As far as reliability, current generations of the Duramax, Powerstroke, and the Cummins are very reliable and I wouldn't have an issue owing any of them. When the time comes, the vehicle's interior and capabilities will steer my purchase decision, just like it did in 2015.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If your happy with your truck now, I would probably stay with it. That is a good engine you have, plus very little if any in smog crap, and no DEF. I'm a Dodge/Ram guy all the way, and the newer engines are great with the exception of Ford in my opinion, but with all the emissions on them, and the use of DEF is just not for me.

The amount of DEF these trucks use is a total NON-ISSUE.