Looking for better LED panels for 2018 Ram overhead console map lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey y’all, I bought these LED panels back in October to replace my flickering factory LED’s in my upper front map lights from the recommendation of this Boosted Motorsports guy on YouTube and I guess I musta got a bad set because only a few months ago, one of the LED rows on the driver map light started to flicker, eventually quit working, then some time later, another row began flickering and eventually quit working as well. Had the same thing happen later on to the passenger map light and now, the one and only row that works on the passenger side has begun to flicker.

Anybody know of any better quality parts, or a better way to upgrade from the stock LEDs?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same ones for over 3 years in my 18 and no issues as of yet. You might have just got a bad set. I used ICE BLUE in color for mine.

30072754_10214371170904762_7401893604531776881_o.jpg

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same ones for over 3 years in my 18 and no issues as of yet. You might have just got a bad set. I used ICE BLUE in color for mine.

View attachment 248007

I guess that’s highly possible but I was beginning to wonder if it was just that I only spent eleven bucks on 6 of those little LED panels and 6 of three different ways to hook these lights up. There was a lotta stuff in that bag for what little I paid for it.

Hopefully I have better luck with these; they were only basically a buck a piece….lol.

JDM ASTAR 10pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX Chipsets White LED Bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE7UC6...abc_S7P4CJF38HZBMG57X1CQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess that’s highly possible but I was beginning to wonder if it was just that I only spent eleven bucks on 6 of those little LED panels and 6 of three different ways to hook these lights up. There was a lotta stuff in that bag for what little I paid for it.

Hopefully I have better luck with these; they were only basically a buck a piece….lol.

JDM ASTAR 10pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX Chipsets White LED Bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE7UC6...abc_S7P4CJF38HZBMG57X1CQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Well I hope those work out for you.

Also on the ones that you have. You may want to look at the adaptors that the LED panels plug into. Might be a little loose.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hope those work out for you.

Also on the ones that you have. You may want to look at the adaptors that the LED panels plug into. Might be a little loose.

I’m hoping they work out better too because I’m kind of getting tired of having to take that console down off the headliner because it’s kind of a pain in the ass… LOL.

But yeah, I thought at one point it probably could be those cheap little little adapters that those panels plug into but then again, if it was in the connectors then the whole LED panel wouldn’t work instead of just one of those strips of three LEDs on each panel slowly going out individually because like I said earlier, the center strip of three LEDs on the driver side light was the first one to start flickering like a strobe light and then eventually just stopped working all together…. not long after that another strip of LEDs started to flicker, then one of the rows on the passenger light started to flicker. Eventually I was down to only one strip working on the driver side light and down to just two rows on the other one so I don’t think it was necessarily in the plug….

So far the three of the same panels I put on my rear dome light are going strong but I guess as soon as one of them starts flickering, I guess I’ll have to do something different and see if I can either find some better panels or just try to modify the inside of the light to take one of those fixtures that uses the round glass bulbs that has the contacts on each end.

At least with that light, it’s much, much easier to pop out of the headliner and solder in new panels if I have to.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Install 5 ohm 2 watt resistor on positive connection. Can also put 2 10 ohms in parallel. This will further limit current to them flickering rows. They flicker due to over current to many times and thats what happens. Rating is 13 vdc. Well when truck running your up in the 14 vdc range. I have installed many of these as described and no issues.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Install 5 ohm 2 watt resistor on positive connection. Can also put 2 10 ohms in parallel. This will further limit current to them flickering rows. They flicker due to over current to many times and thats what happens. Rating is 13 vdc. Well when truck running your up in the 14 vdc range. I have installed many of these as described and no issues.
That sounds like a pretty good advice but I just wish there was a better way altogether that I could upgrade the LEDs in that LED domelight back there but at least so far anyways, they haven’t yet started flickering like they did on my front map lights but who knows, that could be attributed to the fact that I’ve got three of those LED panels on one circuit as opposed to just one LED panel per circuit that used to be in my front map lights so maybe perhaps three of those panels together is keeping everything at bay.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like a pretty good advice but I just wish there was a better way altogether that I could upgrade the LEDs in that LED domelight back there but at least so far anyways, they haven’t yet started flickering like they did on my front map lights but who knows, that could be attributed to the fact that I’ve got three of those LED panels on one circuit as opposed to just one LED panel per circuit that used to be in my front map lights so maybe perhaps three of those panels together is keeping everything at bay.
Ill send you some pics on what i did to my Ram.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are your leds Canbus? You only need one canbus bulb per circuit. Any subsiquent led will be ok on that circuit. Any more info you need let me know. I have a boat load of electronic knowledge and ideas that you may like. Best Regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo