Looking for more power, would like some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 1500 with the 5.7, about 45,000 KM (28,000 miles) on it so far. I pull a travel trailer, thinking of upgrading to a slightly bigger trailer. Whatever I end up with would be < 8000 pounds gross.

So I'm looking for more low end torque to pull, but even just for occasional stoplight fun. I reached out to a shop who does this kind of thing, they have quoted me $5500 for a "head and cam package.". The heads are ported and polished, and they design the cam for truck usage with more low end torque and power, not peak. Shorty headers would help but are not required.

They say that will get me approx 100 hp, and would yield about 20+ percent improvements in MPG.

Additionally, for $800 more I can do an MDS delete, which would also require tuning, headers are an advantage here they say.

What do you all think of that? Is that a good price, and is the head and cam package actually effective (100 hp???) Prices are Canadian.

I'm left scratching my head though, because if they can do that, why doesn't Ram do that right from the factory? Judging by how much power Ford is shoveling through the updated 5.0 (it's now on par with the hemi), I'm sure there is room on the table to get more HP out of the 5.7, just not sure if this deal is good or if I'd just be wasting my money.

Again, my truck never sees redline, I tow and like to scoot off the line once in a while, so I want to focus on more low end, like a diesel. I doubt I'd see MPG improvements, I'm already doing 20+ unloaded on the freeway, but as long as I don't lose any.......

Alternatively; more expensive options including swapping out the truck for a 2500/6.4 or even a new ED, both those options are significantly more expensive. I bought the truck new and it was going to be my keeper, generally I'm very happy with the truck otherwise.

If I went ahead with an engine mod I'd probably want to keep it for another 8 years. But I hear hemis don't do well after 230,000 miles?

Comments from all you engine builders would be hugely appreciated! This is potentially my first dive into modding my engine (beyond pedal monster which is not really a true mod) so kind of intimidating and exciting all at once.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that sounds like a great idea. If you upgrade the cam you’ve pretty much removed the biggest stumbling block to achieving your target number of 230K as far as I’m concerned. I don’t remember what gear you said your truck had but if you have 3.21s an upgrade to 3.92s would help too. Of course you can always go with a supercharger to get that extra 100HP too but there’s still the possibility of cam issues later on if you go that route.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 3.21, I'm a firm believer in it (I've argued this vehemently on this forum). 3.92 would get me started easier while towing, but it doesn't buy you any power in the city or the freeway since the transmission will just downshift one gear and you get the same RPM and power at the same speed. I'd also lose MPG on the freeway (while running unloaded).

So I'm looking more for a boost in torque across the bottom of every gear, not just the first one or two shifts, and 3.92's would not give me the equivalent of 100 extra HP (if the head and cam package actually does boost it that much). With 8+ gears, the rear end ratio is becoming less and less relevant unless you absolutely need that super short first gear (you end up getting an extra first gear and losing the 8th, but the rest in the middle goes unchanged in terms of power).

I think a supercharger would be great, but it probably costs more and I'm not sure about long term reliability.

And I have to admit, that MDS delete is sooo attractive.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.21, I'm a firm believer in it (I've argued this vehemently on this forum). 3.92 would get me started easier while towing, but it doesn't buy you any power in the city or the freeway since the transmission will just downshift one gear and you get the same RPM and power at the same speed. I'd also lose MPG on the freeway (while running unloaded).

So I'm looking more for a boost in torque across the bottom of every gear, not just the first one or two shifts, and 3.92's would not give me the equivalent of 100 extra HP (if the head and cam package actually does boost it that much). With 8+ gears, the rear end ratio is becoming less and less relevant unless you absolutely need that super short first gear (you end up getting an extra first gear and losing the 8th, but the rest in the middle goes unchanged in terms of power).

I think a supercharger would be great, but it probably costs more and I'm not sure about long term reliability.

And I have to admit, that MDS delete is sooo attractive.
Just out of curiosity what is the RPM range for the cam that you speak of? One of the factors of keeping a cam in its proper power range has always been lower gears and keeping the RPM in the range that the cam is designed for unless you plan on keeping the transmission in a lower gear to keep the RPM up all the time. Anyway hopefully Rick(Wildman) will chime in on that subject I guarantee he can explain it better than I can. As far as supercharging goes I would think the cost would be similar to the cam/head package at least it would here in the states.........................

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's a good question, they didn't mention anything about RPM range, but I did tell them I want low end torque for towing in a truck and that's the suggestion they came back with. They know the application is towing vs drag racing or whatever, as they mentioned that explicitly in their email back to me.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I think that's a very decent deaI and an excellent plan, I spent more and had to wrench it myself. I would go for the MDS delete also, (w the tune & headers) Your truck will have be no comparison to stock, 100 hp is a very healthy add.

Sales tax on my truck was $3500, I'd rather mod my truck then throw money at tax on a new one, plus you'll be eliminating possible valvetrain failure, the only true negative issue with the RAM truck. The probability of it lasting to 230k and beyond will go up significanty. If you don't play around redline and you have solid maintenance practices, that truck will be a forever truck.

Another addition to your project, now or future, is a ported 6.4I truck intake, My understanding is the Mod is a nice power gain for the 5.7I. I paid $375 for my ported 6.4 intake.( 975 w a 600 core ) and the ported intake came fully loaded w Injectors, fuel rail and line, sensors, pcv, all o rings, all hardware & hogged out! Deal of a Iifetime, and a great match to ported heads.

As long as your heads are getting machined think about a multi angle grind on the valve seats, multi angle is a proven performance mod, enhancing airflow to the cylinders.

If It comes down to having to prioritize I would do the multi angle w the porting now since the heads are going to be off and something like intake and throttle body can be saved for a future Saturday afternoon w a buddy and 12 pack. You'll be a happier enthusiast if you never have to remove those heads again.

I'm also a huge fan of the re gear. I hear your vlewpoint so I won't beat it up, I just figure the single most badass Improvement to my Wagon was the 5.13 re gear and that deserves an honorable mention.

The price their giving you is solid. I paid $1900 for cam, springs, lifters, MDS delete, $1700 to machine the heads, at least $500 for head bolts, head gaskets crank bolt, and other misc.

You will love the way your truck runs, sounds (even when you start it), and lasts. (maybe mpg, me ~ probably not, mine keeps going down.... just like the pedal )

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Awesome, I appreciate your comments. I will talk to them about the ported intake etc, see what they can do. I'm not really one to work on my own truck, I put a hellwig swaybar on and some aftermarket airsprings + tow hooks but that's reaching the end of my comfort zone, the rest I'll leave to guys who know what they're doing ;)

I hear you on the 5.13 regear, that's a little different story. No doubt going from 3.21 to 5.13 would be a huge change, but my opinion is mainly the 3.21 vs 3.92 (specifically those 2 gears when compared directly to eachother); just happens to be that when you do the math, after going to a 3.92 you basically lose an extra overdrive and gain an extra first gear, just doesn't seem to gain much for me (especially doing it after the fact and paying a lot to change it all around).

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
A regear will prevent the transmission from downshifting so much. The idea is to restore the stock powerband.