Looking for new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm looking to replace the BFG All Terrain T/A K02's on my 2012 3500 Limited. They were a ok tire but less than 27K miles on them I would never buy these tires again even rotating every oil change, they are almost down to the wear bars and have become very loud. I'm looking at two different Michelin tires' one is the Defender LTX which has the tread design of a highway tire and the other is the LTX AT2 tire which has a more aggressive off road type tread design. The Defender is rated at 50K mile tire and the LTX AT2 tire is rated at 60K miles. The LTX AT2 tire is about $15.00 less the the Defender and has 10K more mile warranty. Has anyone run either of these tires on their 3500 ram if so how did the tires hold up. My truck is used as mainly a tow vehicle ( 12k 5th wheel ) but I do live in a area east of lake Ontario when we do get tons of snow.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The BFG All Terrain tires are great tires unless they are installed on an HD diesel. The weight of these pickups are too much for the tires. I had Michelin LTX AT2 put on my truck early this summer and I like them but haven't put enough miles on them to tell how well they wear. I had run the BFG Rugged Trail tires that were original on my 2011 when new before these, but due to road hazard replaced them in pairs. They were 265/70 R17 and the Michelins are 285/70 R 17. I think the Rugged Trails would have run at least 70,000 miles, and would have went back with those if I could have found them in the larger size. Just from their reputation alone I would not be afraid of any Michelin tire, as they are the tires that all others are measured against.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Have you looked at the new Nitto tire?

OP
OP
68 Coronet R/T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The BFG All Terrain tires are great tires unless they are installed on an HD diesel. The weight of these pickups are too much for the tires. I had Michelin LTX AT2 put on my truck early this summer and I like them but haven't put enough miles on them to tell how well they wear. I had run the BFG Rugged Trail tires that were original on my 2011 when new before these, but due to road hazard replaced them in pairs. They were 265/70 R17 and the Michelins are 285/70 R 17. I think the Rugged Trails would have run at least 70,000 miles, and would have went back with those if I could have found them in the larger size. Just from their reputation alone I would not be afraid of any Michelin tire, as they are the tires that all others are measured against.
I had the Rugged Terrain on a Grand Cherokee and they did last a long time but as they wore down they got really loud. How were yours as they wore down did they get very loud.

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If your looking for a mild tire Cooper At3 is by the best option out there. If you want something more aggressive looking Falken At3 is also a fantastic tire. Not a fan of Michelin after buying $1000 set of tires and having balancing issues.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Falken AT3W's here. Pretty dang decent tire, price OK, good for water and snow. Just IMHO..... I got "C" rated, did not get "E" rated.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

dchest02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the LTX AT2s on my 2011, and I hate them. No traction at all in the rain, I can't begin to imagine what they would be like in the snow, that's why I'm getting rid of them. If you're looking for a nice looking tire they might fit the bill, but if you want a tire that performs well, I'd look elsewhere.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nitto or Toyo would be my choice. Shocked the BFGs didn't last long. My dad has had two sets and about 75k out of one set and the second set has 40k on them and still look great.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nitto or Toyo would be my choice. Shocked the BFGs didn't last long. My dad has had two sets and about 75k out of one set and the second set has 40k on them and still look great.
I wonder if people saying BFG tires are not good on a diesel is really true. Or is it just another story that got overblown because somebody's heard from their sisters boyfriends brothers uncles grandpa that they were no good.
You can always find someone who says they only got xxxx miles from such and such brand tires even though most everyone else has very different results.
I seriously doubt it's true. :manos:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if people saying BFG tires are not good on a diesel is really true. Or is it just another story that got overblown because somebody's heard from their sisters boyfriends brothers uncles grandpa that they were no good.
You can always find someone who says they only got xxxx miles from such and such brand tires even though most everyone else has very different results.
I seriously doubt it's true. :manos:
Lots of things factor as well. Regular rotations, driving habits or conditions, loads in the bed, proper tire pressure etc. I got 20k out of the stock SRA's 65k out of my nittos and I am testing the toyos right now. I really like the way the toyos ride. The BFG tires by far have the best all around IMO.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
My BFG Rugged Trails never got noisy and on a smooth highway surface they rode like you on a flying carpet. Wish they came in the larger size.

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
If your looking for a mild tire Cooper At3 is by the best option out there. If you want something more aggressive looking Falken At3 is also a fantastic tire. Not a fan of Michelin after buying $1000 set of tires and having balancing issues.
Ditto the balancing problem but on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S not the A/T. Tires bought in 2018 and the 2 with late 2017 date codes seemed to be the problem, so maybe its solved now. Previous experience with Michelin LTX M/S (Not Defender LTX) bought 2012 was perfect.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found the same with the BFG over a few sets. Great on a half ton, but once you go HD diesel they melt away quick. I got about 75% more life out of toyos same truck. They weren't as good in snow, but I was spending too much buying new tires every year with the BFG.