LOSS OF POWER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2011 RAM 1500 5.7 4X4 and one day I experienced a loss of power at about 1500 RPM. A noise comes from the engine near the intake manifold at about that RPM (non metalic). When it idles it sounds fine. I had it towed to the dealer and after $900 the told me I needed a new fuel pump, new TIPM, and new spark plugs. None of it the dealer had in stock. Maybe 2 months to get. They told me they could use AUTOZONE parts but AZ didn't have the TIPM so the mechanic refused to us any AZ parts. I had it towed home and replaced the fuel pump, TIPM, and all spark plugs. Nothing changed. The first code I got was for the camshaft position sensor. I replaced that also with OEM parts. I've had codes for random misfire and misfire in cylinder 8. Also codes for Bank 1, 2 running lean. All codes have moved to permanent codes and I get no new codes now. I had a traveling mechanic look at it but he couldn't figure it out. Compression in all cylinders is 155 PSI, with a drop of oil in each cylinder it's 180 PSI. Dealer also removed exhaust to check Cat converter but said it was fine. I bought a new OBD II reader to compare but no difference. No new codes. Truck is in very good condition with all maintenance records. I am the second owner. I've removed the valve cover on the even cylinders (because I was getting misfire cyl 8 code) but all lifters seem to be fine. I also changed the fuel injector and coil on cyl 8. Took out all fuel injectors and cleaned them. All seem to be working good. No sign of camshaft failure on that side. Checked for vacuum leaks and have found none. Getting ready to have it towed to Windward Dodge to see what they can do. If anyone has any ideas or have had the same problem, please let me know.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does a 2011 have an egr system ? 1500 rpm is where it would open, cause multiple lean codes and can go undetected by the pcm or incompetent techs if its not functioning correctly....

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does a 2011 have an egr system ? 1500 rpm is where it would open, cause multiple lean codes and can go undetected by the pcm or incompetent techs if its not functioning correctly....
No egr on a 2011.

Any chance you could get a vid of this noise your talking about?.

OP
OP
K

KevinA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2011 RAM does not have an EGR. I'll get a video of it although you won't see anything but you'll probably hear the noise it makes. I'm probably going to send it to a different dealer and hope they can figure it out. It's been almost 2 months now and I'm no closer to a fix than I was the day it started.