Lost my Lifetime Warranty!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Define "took full advantage"?

Ive dealt with salesmen that were chill enough to hand me the keys and told me to come back with the car whenever. Ive also had salesmen that literally opened my car door as I drove into the parking lot to look at a car. Didnt even wait for me to get the car in park.

Yes, technically, anyone can walk away from any deal. But plenty of salesmen are out there high pressuring people into deals they normally wouldn't take.

I know there are lots of salesmen that ARENT like that, but to say its that easy to walk away from a salesman "taking full advantage" is easier said than done (which Im sure you know, after the "honeypot customer" reference)

I guess that was a bit open for interpretation. I wasn’t your typical ******-ball salesman.

By take “full advantage” I could spot the ones that wanted the warranty, service contract, scotch guard, etc, and would let them purchase everything they wanted.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess that was a bit open for interpretation. I wasn’t your typical ******-ball salesman.

By take “full advantage” I could spot the ones that wanted the warranty, service contract, scotch guard, etc, and would let them purchase everything they wanted.

Good to know :)

My RAM purchasing experience wasnt the best but it wasnt the worst. The finance guy was not thrilled when I sat down and said "I dont want any of it" before he started pushing paint protection, wheel and ding coverage, etc. But I sat patiently and let him do his thing that he was "required" to do.

Back to this topic - my dealer was at something like 8K for Lifetime MaxCare. Fully knowing I could get it much cheaper, I didnt bother asking them to come down because they were SO far away. I figured it would turn into another back and forth between him and a manager, so they lost out by way overpricing it. I know they are a business, but numbers like that are clearly an attempt at taking advantage, so I did not feel like giving them the satisfaction (but I just politely declined instead of telling them that :) )

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Good to know :)

My RAM purchasing experience wasnt the best but it wasnt the worst. The finance guy was not thrilled when I sat down and said "I dont want any of it" before he started pushing paint protection, wheel and ding coverage, etc. But I sat patiently and let him do his thing that he was "required" to do.

Back to this topic - my dealer was at something like 8K for Lifetime MaxCare. Fully knowing I could get it much cheaper, I didnt bother asking them to come down because they were SO far away. I figured it would turn into another back and forth between him and a manager, so they lost out by way overpricing it. I know they are a business, but numbers like that are clearly an attempt at taking advantage, so I did not feel like giving them the satisfaction (but I just politely declined instead of telling them that :) )

Being on the other side of the transaction, I told the F&I guy I just wanted the truck and nothing more.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Define "took full advantage"?

Ive dealt with salesmen that were chill enough to hand me the keys and told me to come back with the car whenever. Ive also had salesmen that literally opened my car door as I drove into the parking lot to look at a car. Didnt even wait for me to get the car in park.

Yes, technically, anyone can walk away from any deal. But plenty of salesmen are out there high pressuring people into deals they normally wouldn't take.

I know there are lots of salesmen that ARENT like that, but to say its that easy to walk away from a salesman "taking full advantage" is easier said than done (which I'm sure you know, after the "honeypot customer" reference)
Exactly! Case in point, my wife recently bought a GMC product. Went to the dealer that had the lowest advertising price. We got a great deal on the price. The night before I went online to educate myself on GM warranties and was all ready to go. We're sitting in the finance office and now comes the part we were dreading, warranty discussion. I was all ready to negotiate when he offers me a lifetime plus warranty. I asked how much and he slides the paperwork in front of me. I almost **** myself! They only wanted $2500. It covered pretty much everything. Being skeptical I asked, I have to bring it here right. he says no any ASE certified mechanic. All you pay is $100 deductible. Now that's the experience everyone should have! **** part was they didn't sell Rams.
Maybe I should have been more clear, I don't think all salespeople are out to screw everybody over. In my experience, I've hardly ever had an issue with the salesperson, it's mostly the management at these big dealer auto groups (which is pretty much the way the industry is going). I don't know how many times I've asked the salesman a question and I can see their face cringe when they tell me they have to get a manager. I had one manager tell me he wasn't going to let me keep my cheap $120 AutoZone back up camera. His excuse was "when we appraise a vehicle, we do so with all options". Well when that vehicle went up for sale guess what was no longer in it. Now that is some ********.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But how is selling a product at retail asking price “pulling” something? It’s a product. It has markup. Proposing a product at asking price when someone else is willing to give it away for no markup is not a crime, it’s not “screwing” anyone, and it isn’t wrong. That’s the point I was trying to make. You’re not “saving the world” by buying it from someone else halfway across the country. In fact, most dealerships are locally owned small businesses struggling to make a profit in any category they can. Anyone with the “you should have given me your best price upfront” (which is a price that doesn’t exist, but that’s a whole other conversation) attitude has never worked in sales and doesn’t understand that that’s not how exchanging goods and services works.

In your example, a dealership offered to sell you a product at asking price. When you said “ha! I can get it for XYZ from someone else”, instead of telling you to **** a horse, they offered to price match and remove the markup to keep your business, which you rewarded them by buying it from a random stranger on the internet who has done nothing to work for you and earn your business, he just ****** out warrantees to milk his pay plan. They’re not crooks, they’re people trying to earn a living. I hope that point of view resonates a bit.

First off, why are you even on this thread? You are offering zero value to the conversation. And 2nd off, where are all of these small dealerships struggling to make a profit? The majority of dealerships are big conglomerates whose owners are generally among the richest in that state, and they didn't get to that level by losing money on every deal they make. The small new car dealerships are all being bought up by the big conglomerates, and even those owners who only have 1 dealership they own are still making tons of profit, and then they sell off and retire them and their kids.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

You have properly identified yourself. Bet anything you were typical......"

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 2500/2001 2500/2018 3500
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
The universe has a sense of humor. I dropped off my truck this morning for warranty work and they gave me a Dodge Journey for a rental.

7BF79A15-C249-446A-946B-575E2053E00C.jpeg

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No, they gave him a rebate without explaining to him that the rebate (supposedly) voids a warranty on a completely different vehicle than one involved in the deal.

WTF does a rebate have to do with invalidating a warranty? And on a completely different vehicle, at that?

They MAY have not explained what this rebate was for. But have you ever bought a vehicle and sat through 2 hours of mindless drivel while doing paperwork?

Ok, let's assume they didn't tell him. They STILL GAVE HIM $3000 to void the warranty, WHETHER HE KNEW IT OR NOT!!!

So if he wants the warranty back he needs to pay back the $3000.

Key points:
  • They gave him $3000 to void the warranty on a vehicle*
  • After realizing what he did, he doesn't want to void the warranty
  • Having decided he made a mistake, re-instate the warranty, give the $3000 back.
*I know, some people have said "how can you involve a vehicle not involved in the deal?". But, it was. People can do whatever they want if another party agrees to it. A common rebate is a "new customer" rebate. You sold your GM product, and therefore qualify for $1000. Even though you didn't trade it in for the new RAM. If they find out you didn't actually sell the old one, they will want their money back.

Further, FCA puts a value on the remainder of the warranty. Why wouldn't they offer to give you ALMOST TWICE WHAT YOU PAID for it, for you to give it up?!!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I love the idea of having the "lifetime" MaxCare to fall back on, but if today someone at FCA emailed me and offered 90% or more of my money back to cancel it, I would seriously consider it.

My memory may be failing me, but I believe the poster paid $1800 for the extended warranty, had received $9000 worth or repairs at no charge, and got $3000 for giving up any future use of it. By my calculation that's a 666% ROI. Hard to beat, in my books. But maybe Im just not a good negotiator. Nevertheless, there's no way I wouldn't take $3000 to give up the warranty on a vehicle worth $6500.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Key points:
  • After realizing what THEY did, he doesn't want to void the warranty
FIFY

Considering there is no paperwork with his signature for THEM to have done this, I can’t seem to figure out why some people on here are such ***** and are siding with the dealership.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They MAY have not explained what this rebate was for. But have you ever bought a vehicle and sat through 2 hours of mindless drivel while doing paperwork?

Ok, let's assume they didn't tell him. They STILL GAVE HIM $3000 to void the warranty, WHETHER HE KNEW IT OR NOT!!!

So if he wants the warranty back he needs to pay back the $3000.

Key points:
  • After realizing what he did, he doesn't want to void the warranty
  • Having decided he made a mistake, re-instate the warranty, give the $3000 back.
*I know, some people have said "how can you involve a vehicle not involved in the deal?". But, it was. People can do whatever they want if another party agrees to it. A common rebate is a "new customer" rebate. You sold your GM product, and therefore qualify for $1000. Even though you didn't trade it in for the new RAM. If they find out you didn't actually sell the old one, they will want their money back.

Further, FCA puts a value on the remainder of the warranty. Why wouldn't they offer to give you ALMOST TWICE WHAT YOU PAID for it, for you to give it up?!!

The dealer still has not provided any paperwork that shows the buyer willingly forfeited the warranty in exchange for 3K back.

Until that happens, this is 100% on the dealer. The buyer didn't read the fine print because as of right now THERE IS NONE. The dealer still couldnt produce it when asked.

And again, this warranty was on a vehicle involved in NO PART of this transaction. You say to ignore that point but this is not a "going from brand X to brand Y" incentive. OTOH it IS a great way to make sure people dont repeat buy, just in case the dealer wants to void warranties on previous purchases again (see how dumb that sounds?).

What I really think happened - someone at the dealer accidentally thought the Journey was the trade and as such issued the cancellation of the lifetime warranty (because its not transferrable). On FCAs end it shows as "customer requested" because that's probably just how it shows when the customer trades a vehicle in which has a warranty that does not transfer. Dealer does not want to fess up because it makes them look bad on their end and now that FCA is involved it makes the dealer look even worse. A simple mistake, really, but one that is currently only costing the buyer.

The fact that the dealer is coming up with a solution of them honoring lifetime but only at their shop kinda makes it look like it really was their eff up. You would figure by now they would have produced signature proof if it really existed.....I have a copy of every paper I signed when buying my truck, surely my dealer still does, and surely the OPs dealer does too. So, if they havent shown it by now, it dont exist.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer probably doesn’t want to reinstate the warranty because they would have to pay FCA to do so

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealer will sell franchise in 3 months anyway, so they don’t care!

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can the title of this post be fixed? "Warrany" is killing me... lol.

Greif

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Off topic, do you need to have dealer do any inspections at any time to keep warranty in effect? Thought I remember see something about a while ago but don't see anything bin the paperwork

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Yes thank you. Now I'll be able to sleep again. [emoji16][emoji106]
Full disclosure, stuff like that makes me a little twitchy too... But only a little...