Lost my Lifetime Warranty!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
The least I would be asking for is the money back for the warranty they voided. Since you had to deal with back and forth bs I wouldn't allow it to be pro-rated....Im sure you (and probably the dealer) know how much you paid for it, I wouldnt accept anything other than 100%.

Unfortunately it looks like the only other option is to suck it up and take up their offer on them covering the warranty at their place only.

Personally I would lean on them for the full price of warranty back and then tell them to eff off. Advertising on social media what happened wouldn't be a bad idea. Wouldnt necessarily need to name names, just start posting your story with a TLDR for customers to check all the fine print before accepting any rebates on their next vehicle.
Unfortunately, the lifetime contract states that after 7 years or 100,000 miles, the max refund is $25. So yeah, I'll be taking that. I'm pissed, but we paid like $1800 or $2000 (they wanted to charge $3600 originally) for a warranty that paid out easily $9000 in 8 years. Since 60,000 miles it's been in the shop a couple times a year for something. If they wanted to make money off theses warranties, they should of charged more, or not sell unreliable pieces of ****.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, the lifetime contract states that after 7 years or 100,000 miles, the max refund is $25. So yeah, I'll be taking that. I'm pissed, but we paid like $1800 or $2000 (they wanted to charge $3600 originally) for a warranty that paid out easily $9000 in 8 years. Since 60,000 miles it's been in the shop a couple times a year for something. If they wanted to make money off theses warranties, they should of charged more, or not sell unreliable pieces of ****.

No, I would take the route of "I could still use the warranty" to the tune of a LOT more than $25. They would be getting off easy at the $2K you paid for it after they basically pulled a fast one, then attempted to blame you and still really havent provided proof that ANY of it was your fault.

They still havent come up with a copy of anything you signed, so I would still be taking the angle that they did this without your authorization, until they can show what you did sign that stated you were handing over your warranty. If they cant come up with it (because it doesnt exist or because they lost it), its still on them to make you whole and not to the tune of $25.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like totally shady business and possible fraud on their part. I would contact your states AG and see what they say.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ugh.. What a fiasco!

I hate the rebate, incentive and cash-back games so bad that I almost never buy brand new anymore. Even with my late model used purchases I make, I still have been enduring the dealer's extended warranty pitches. The only exception being my current 2019 Ram 1500 classic that I bought as en ex-rental through Enterprise car sales. My sales person gave one attempt at selling me a warranty package, by showing me a sheet with various levels of "protection" and what they cost. I said 'no thanks' and that was it. No more hassle.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
No, I would take the route of "I could still use the warranty" to the tune of a LOT more than $25. They would be getting off easy at the $2K you paid for it after they basically pulled a fast one, then attempted to blame you and still really havent provided proof that ANY of it was your fault.

They still havent come up with a copy of anything you signed, so I would still be taking the angle that they did this without your authorization, until they can show what you did sign that stated you were handing over your warranty. If they cant come up with it (because it doesnt exist or because they lost it), its still on them to make you whole and not to the tune of $25.
The problem now is that it is between me and the dealer. How would Chrysler know if I knew about it or not. All they know is that the rebate was submitted. Like I said before the dealer knows they made a mistake. Why else would they agree to follow the same terms of the warranty but only at their dealership? Because they f@#ked up and never told me about it. Now they're trying to back pedal cause My family alone (both my kids drive) have spent upwards of $130,000 there in the last 8 years. That doesn't include what our parents and extended family have spent.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Ugh.. What a fiasco!

I hate the rebate, incentive and cash-back games so bad that I almost never buy brand new anymore. Even with my late model used purchases I make, I still have been enduring the dealer's extended warranty pitches. The only exception being my current 2019 Ram 1500 classic that I bought as en ex-rental through Enterprise car sales. My sales person gave one attempt at selling me a warranty package, by showing me a sheet with various levels of "protection" and what they cost. I said 'no thanks' and that was it. No more hassle.
I still won't buy my warranties from dealers. the last two times I looked up what the cost was from Ziegler. Then when I'm sitting and listening to the dealer pitch and give their price, I say, but I can get the same warranty at this price. They say that's pretty low, what if we can match it. I just say no thank you, if you offered me your lowest cost up front maybe then I would of. I just can't stand the dishonesty and love to call them out because they think they're so much smarter then you.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem now is that it is between me and the dealer. How would Chrysler know if I knew about it or not. All they know is that the rebate was submitted. Like I said before the dealer knows they made a mistake. Why else would they agree to follow the same terms of the warranty but only at their dealership? Because they f@#ked up and never told me about it. Now they're trying to back pedal cause My family alone (both my kids drive) have spent upwards of $130,000 there in the last 8 years. That doesn't include what our parents and extended family have spent.

Yeah, I wasnt referring to FCA anymore. The DEALER owes you what you paid for the warranty that THEY voided without your consent.

FCA has pretty much washed their hands (which is what they almost always do) and left you high and dry and to deal with it yourself. I would be telling the dealer that you no longer want/trust their services and that they owe you the money for the warranty that was purchased. Unless the vehicle it was for is no longer yours, there was still plenty of opportunity for you to use that warranty.

Unless you really want to use them exclusively for the rest of the lifetime of the vehicle, in which case you take the $25 from FCA and hope it costs the dealer a whole lot more in future services.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Yeah, I wasnt referring to FCA anymore. The DEALER owes you what you paid for the warranty that THEY voided without your consent.

FCA has pretty much washed their hands (which is what they almost always do) and left you high and dry and to deal with it yourself. I would be telling the dealer that you no longer want/trust their services and that they owe you the money for the warranty that was purchased. Unless the vehicle it was for is no longer yours, there was still plenty of opportunity for you to use that warranty.

Unless you really want to use them exclusively for the rest of the lifetime of the vehicle, in which case you take the $25 from FCA and hope it costs the dealer a whole lot more in future services.
Our plan so far is to pick up the new contract from the dealer and read it over. My wife then wants it notarized which I agree with. Once that's done, we'll look into filing complaints. We're not quite sure yet. But I do know the Journey will be the only one of our vehicles to ever see the inside of that place again.

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If they took money then they owe you what was promised. They can’t cancel without something in writing and a signature by you stating you are ok with it. That would be fraud any other way.
So, no attorney necessary, just go file in small claims, then take that filing and send it to all media and then send that with the fact you took it to the media and go to your state AG and also research what the state has in place to protect the consumer from unscrupulous auto dealers. AND, YES, NAME NAMES SO IT DOESN’T HAPPEN TO SOMEONE ELSE!
You’ll win in small claims and get your warranty or ALL your money back.

jeroldharter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Why in the world would I thank them? The Journey is my teenage son's car now. It has 143000 miles and is in the shop a fair amount. With the warranty they have to continue to fix it until the repair needed exceeds the nada value of the vehicle.

Well, if someone offered you $9,500 for a $6500 car that was in the shop all the time would you take it? I would. Just sell the car and you still come out ahead. To each his own, but the last person I would want to have an unreliable car is my teenage child.

I am not sure what you want from the dealer. Are you proposing to return the $3000 rebate that you agreed to in exchange for re-instating the warranty on the car?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if someone offered you $9,500 for a $6500 car that was in the shop all the time would you take it? I would. Just sell the car and you still come out ahead. To each his own, but the last person I would want to have an unreliable car is my teenage child.

I am not sure what you want from the dealer. Are you proposing to return the $3000 rebate that you agreed to in exchange for re-instating the warranty on the car?

The issue is that they gave him a 3K rebate without explaining or maybe even trying to hide the fact that a warranty was going to be voided on a car that had nothing to do with the deal on the new truck. They didnt trade in that car, the money given was not for that car. It was shown as a rebate on the new vehicle purchase.

They still own the Journey that the lifetime warranty *used* to be on. Re-read the original post, they did not trade in the vehicle with the warranty, they traded in their previous RAM for a new RAM. The lifetime warranty has nothing to do with either RAM.

jeroldharter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I see. I missed the part about not specifying or detailing the rebate and presenting it as a general factory rebate. My apologies on that. In that case, I agree with the general sense that the dealer should make it right.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
I see. I missed the part about not specifying or detailing the rebate and presenting it as a general factory rebate. My apologies on that. In that case, I agree with the general sense that the dealer should make it right.
It’s all good. A lot has happened since my original post and unless you get the chance to read all the posts, it’s easy to miss something.
I really appreciate all the feedback and thank everyone for their advice. I posted this on some of the other Ram forums and most of what I got back was stuff like “ should have read all the paperwork “ and all other kinds of assumptions to include my political views. All I have to say is this forum is now my go to when I need any kind of assistance or advice. Everyone on here has kept it classy and to the point. The Journey goes in Wednesday to have the heater core replaced for the third time. This is when I’m supposed to get the new contract. I will keep you all posted as to how that goes. Once again, Thank You!

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I still won't buy my warranties from dealers. the last two times I looked up what the cost was from Ziegler. Then when I'm sitting and listening to the dealer pitch and give their price, I say, but I can get the same warranty at this price. They say that's pretty low, what if we can match it. I just say no thank you, if you offered me your lowest cost up front maybe then I would of. I just can't stand the dishonesty and love to call them out because they think they're so much smarter then you.
You’re sooo big and bad lmao so because someone didn’t offer you a discount on a product right off the bat, then offered to discount it to price match a competitive offer, they’re dishonest **** bags? On a second note, want to take two guesses on who you bought your warranty from? I’ll give you a hint: a dealer.

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
You’re sooo big and bad lmao so because someone didn’t offer you a discount on a product right off the bat, then offered to discount it to price match a competitive offer, they’re dishonest **** bags? On a second note, want to take two guesses on who you bought your warranty from? I’ll give you a hint: a dealer.
The dishonest part is when they want to charge $1900 for a warranty I got for $1001 from Ziegler. Then they sit there and act all surprised. Then magically come down. Just think of all the other people who don’t know about buying the same exact warranty online that they are screwing. I have a family member that used to sell cars so I know for the most part, the dealer mark up on extended warranties is pretty high.
As for being “big and bad”, that is far from what I’m trying to be. I want them to know I am familiar with what they’re trying to pull. Some dealers are worse then others. And yes, I’m am very aware Ziegler is an auto group in Michigan. Thank you for your 2 cents though, I appreciate it.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just read the entire post, and it sounds to me like the dealer pulled a fast one. Somehow cancelled a warranty on a car not at all involved in the trade deal. Took the rebate, took the refund on the warranty after they got caught. Can't show any proof of customer acknowledgement. And now are trying to do something to make it right instead of going to FCA to fix their own own mess. Sounds like if they would make a call back to FCA they could undo it, but just won't. Maybe it would somehow involve admitting that they were being shady. And how did they cancel a warranty on a vehicle not involved in the deal anyway? Would they not at least need to have the VIN? Wouldn't the VIN have been required to be on the cancellation paperwork? Sounds fishy to me from start to finish. I may have missed a little of the conversation somewhere in there, especially around the snowmobile parts... But, I think the dealer needs to do whatever within reason they can to make you and your family happy customers again. Just my 2 cents worth

OP
OP
packer96

packer96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Just read the entire post, and it sounds to me like the dealer pulled a fast one. Somehow cancelled a warranty on a car not at all involved in the trade deal. Took the rebate, took the refund on the warranty after they got caught. Can't show any proof of customer acknowledgement. And now are trying to do something to make it right instead of going to FCA to fix their own own mess. Sounds like if they would make a call back to FCA they could undo it, but just won't. Maybe it would somehow involve admitting that they were being shady. And how did they cancel a warranty on a vehicle not involved in the deal anyway? Would they not at least need to have the VIN? Wouldn't the VIN have been required to be on the cancellation paperwork? Sounds fishy to me from start to finish. I may have missed a little of the conversation somewhere in there, especially around the snowmobile parts... But, I think the dealer needs to do whatever within reason they can to make you and your family happy customers again. Just my 2 cents worth
When I talked to Chrysler, they told me someone called and asked to have it reinstated. As for the Journey VIN, it has always went to this dealership for repairs so, they had the number on hand. The rebate that the dealer GM sent me today looked like something they found when plugging in my name and it popped up. Never saw it until today. Never signed or initialed it when doing the paperwork. And yes, the snowmobile parts confused me too.:rotflmao:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The dishonest part is when they want to charge $1900 for a warranty I got for $1001 from Ziegler. Then they sit there and act all surprised. Then magically come down. Just think of all the other people who don’t know about buying the same exact warranty online that they are screwing. I have a family member that used to sell cars so I know for the most part, the dealer mark up on extended warranties is pretty high.
As for being “big and bad”, that is far from what I’m trying to be. I want them to know I am familiar with what they’re trying to pull. Some dealers are worse then others. And yes, I’m am very aware Ziegler is an auto group in Michigan. Thank you for your 2 cents though, I appreciate it.
But how is selling a product at retail asking price “pulling” something? It’s a product. It has markup. Proposing a product at asking price when someone else is willing to give it away for no markup is not a crime, it’s not “screwing” anyone, and it isn’t wrong. That’s the point I was trying to make. You’re not “saving the world” by buying it from someone else halfway across the country. In fact, most dealerships are locally owned small businesses struggling to make a profit in any category they can. Anyone with the “you should have given me your best price upfront” (which is a price that doesn’t exist, but that’s a whole other conversation) attitude has never worked in sales and doesn’t understand that that’s not how exchanging goods and services works.

In your example, a dealership offered to sell you a product at asking price. When you said “ha! I can get it for XYZ from someone else”, instead of telling you to **** a horse, they offered to price match and remove the markup to keep your business, which you rewarded them by buying it from a random stranger on the internet who has done nothing to work for you and earn your business, he just ****** out warrantees to milk his pay plan. They’re not crooks, they’re people trying to earn a living. I hope that point of view resonates a bit.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
They’re not crooks, they’re people trying to earn a living. I hope that point of view resonates a bit.

Exactly this.

Most people that get screwed at the dealership were willing participants in the transaction. Failure to educate yourself about the dealership and the tangent products they sell results in the screwing.

The problem is the screwee only realizes they got screwed by the screwer after the fact when they review the paperwork 6 months later.

When I sold cars I could spot a honeypot customer when they walked in the door and took full advantage. Is it wrong, unethical, immoral and banned everywhere? No, because you the consumer have the right to refuse anything I try to sell you. Whether or not you have the ability is another topic all together.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly this.

Most people that get screwed at the dealership were willing participants in the transaction. Failure to educate yourself about the dealership and the tangent products they sell results in the screwing.

The problem is the screwee only realizes they got screwed by the screwer after the fact when they review the paperwork 6 months later.

When I sold cars I could spot a honeypot customer when they walked in the door and took full advantage. Is it wrong, unethical, immoral and banned everywhere? No, because you the consumer have the right to refuse anything I try to sell you. Whether or not you have the ability is another topic all together.

Define "took full advantage"?

Ive dealt with salesmen that were chill enough to hand me the keys and told me to come back with the car whenever. Ive also had salesmen that literally opened my car door as I drove into the parking lot to look at a car. Didnt even wait for me to get the car in park.

Yes, technically, anyone can walk away from any deal. But plenty of salesmen are out there high pressuring people into deals they normally wouldn't take.

I know there are lots of salesmen that ARENT like that, but to say its that easy to walk away from a salesman "taking full advantage" is easier said than done (which Im sure you know, after the "honeypot customer" reference)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357