Lost power, steering locked, and brakes quit. Truck totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ak815

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 and 2019
Engine
5.7 litre and Hemi 6.1
2007 Ram 1500. Driving 60 mph on road. All guages flashed on then truck lost all power. Steering wheel locked completely. Bent steering wheel in half attempting to turn. Brakes would not engage. Has anyone experienced this? Truck had no prior issues. Well taken care of.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
New member, first post, next to no information to work with. Not real likely anyone is going to be able to be of much help.

At minimum, Year, make, model of truck, exact circumstances this occurred, on road, off road, 4x2 or 4x4, speed, etc. Steering locking only happens with key off and transmission in park so there has to be a whole bunch more to this story that you need to provide. Welcome to the forum.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No power steering could lead many to think they are unable to steer.
True, same with brakes. They revert to manual with no engine power but given how little info the OP has provided I don't think many are willing to invest a bunch of time playing what if. This first post no info thing is rapidly becoming a pet peeve for me, especially when the OP doesn't provide more when asked politely to do so.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With hydraulic steering and power brakes, yes you do have some control over the brakes first couple of pumps, as far as the steering its hydraulic assist not electronic assist, it's happened to all of us, it's difficult not impossible to get off of road, It's not easy to bend steering wheel in half, why didn't you use the emergency brake to stop.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'd like to see pic's of the bent steering wheel.
I can imagine a couple different scenarios, Dude loses power, while rolling cycles the key and ends up locking the steering, panics and tears up the steering wheel. Or, drives over something that gets thrown up into the works, knocks some important wiring loose and then gets lodged just right in the front suspension, keeping it from turning. One in a billion kinda thing.

But no, never heard of either actually happening.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Whether steering is electric or hydraulic both can be steered, albeit with much greater effort, if the engine quits or electrical power is completely gone. If the steering was locked to the point you bent the steering wheel then somehow you locked it. It is not the result of losing engine power or electrical. If the brakes didn't work you weren't pushing hard enough, not to mention the emergency brake would have still worked. I have never heard of steering locking all by itself. I don't actually believe that is possible.

In most emergencies, keeping your head is the best winning strategy.

Sorry you totalled the truck but I have driven many vehicles with the power steering and power brakes disabled due to belt failure, pump failure, vac assist failure, motor not running etc and they are all drive able. Takes a lot more manual strength and input but very doable.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Of course driving ability has a major place in keeping control, however there is another thing to think about.
The way this new vehicles drive so easy is amazing really.
Many years ago we sat closer to the wheel, the steering wheel was larger in diameter. Now, we have smaller
steering wheels and all these people that sit way far back from the wheel, with a wheel thats upright.
There is no way to easily turn a steering wheel that has lost the power boost with your arms mostly stretched
out. Who recalls when the steering wheel was almost flat and 20" or larger in diameter, one hand pushing and the other pulling to make that wheel turn a half dozen revolutions to full lock from centered.
Then planting your foot solidly on the brake pedal and pushing hard enough that your butt was atually riding high in the seat.

I'll also agree with the posters that have little use for the OP's complete lack of information, of course it's also possible that he just doesn't know what happened.

14ramdjh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i consider this a tic-toc post. new member newpost ill go out on a limb here and say its probably some college prank to get views or comments too many "couldnt do its" and still no pics to support.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I can NOT see how it would lose steering and brakes BOTH. I can see the electrical failing for some reason. BUT 2007 has a belt driven pump so NO reason for it to totally lock up and brakes have always worked unless a master cylinder failure has occured. I have had these things happen and have NEVER wrecked or totalled from these type of failures. But I have had to pull my underwear back out of my crack. LOL

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have have lost steering when the main tie rod was bent in an arc by a road hazard
The truck headed straight over to the shoulder of the road
A borrowed floor jack, a short length of angle iron & several adjustable hose clamps, allowed me to get home at a very slow rate of speed.

Try doing that with our vehicles with all the modern stuff

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course driving ability has a major place in keeping control, however there is another thing to think about.
The way this new vehicles drive so easy is amazing really.
Many years ago we sat closer to the wheel, the steering wheel was larger in diameter. Now, we have smaller
steering wheels and all these people that sit way far back from the wheel, with a wheel thats upright.
There is no way to easily turn a steering wheel that has lost the power boost with your arms mostly stretched
out. Who recalls when the steering wheel was almost flat and 20" or larger in diameter, one hand pushing and the other pulling to make that wheel turn a half dozen revolutions to full lock from centered.
Then planting your foot solidly on the brake pedal and pushing hard enough that your butt was atually riding high in the seat.

I'll also agree with the posters that have little use for the OP's complete lack of information, of course it's also possible that he just doesn't know what happened.
Panic. explains all. Even if his steering lock, OP should have been able to turn far enuf to turn key and guide truck. OP got overwhelmed, panicked and wala.

ADDED: I did that with my MC once. Sitting at a traffic light, afternoon, temps 100 degrees plus. Bike just died. No matter what I did, pushed in gear, changed gears, neutral, clutch in/out, no joy. Well, after brain kicked in, somehow I hit the "kill" switch to off. BOY did I feel stupid. Panic take away all common sense.

Last edited:

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
IF true, sounds more like the ignition switch was turned back to the lock position which would shut off the engine and dash, lock the wheel and take away the power brakes (but still have manual brakes). Still, I don't believe you can go to the lock position with the vehicle still in gear.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have have lost steering when the main tie rod was bent in an arc by a road hazard
The truck headed straight over to the shoulder of the road
A borrowed floor jack, a short length of angle iron & several adjustable hose clamps, allowed me to get home at a very slow rate of speed.

Try doing that with our vehicles with all the modern stuff
I have had power booster go out and it took (2) feet on the brake pedal and King Kong effort, but brakes engaged. It just took a lil common sense and no panic, and just maybe a change of drawers, LOL.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF true, sounds more like the ignition switch was turned back to the lock position which would shut off the engine and dash, lock the wheel and take away the power brakes (but still have manual brakes). Still, I don't believe you can go to the lock position with the vehicle still in gear.
Been a while since had a "GM" style ignition, but I do think IIRC U need to be in park, unless the park pin was broke in the ignition, his whole story sounds like Once Upon a Time. YUP, time to read other informative posts, LMAO.